Finally got to see Palaszewski-Horodecki... (spoilers, duh)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Finally got to see Palaszewski-Horodecki... (spoilers, duh)
AchillesHeel
3/23/07 1:55:09PM
My local FSN affiliate finally got around to airing that IFL matchup between the Silverbacks and the Anacondas.

The Main Event was of course the matchup of Lightweights Chris Horodecki and Bart Palaszewski, which Horodecki won by Split Decision.

I think Palaszewski had a point about Horodecki uses the ring ropes to his advantage. Unlike in PRIDE, the referee didn't bring the fighters to the middle of the ring and restart them from the same position, he simply brought them to their feet and restarted from there. So Horodecki was able to escape a tight guillotine choke by literally falling out of the ring. On the replay, you could see him pushing the rope down under his butt with his free hand. I think there was a second instance of Horodecki using the ropes to his advantage, but I've forgotten what it was now.

Aside from that, it was a pretty even fight. I gave Palaszewski the edge because he seemed to land more power punches. Horodecki seemed to be throwing for contact, not for power. He landed a lot of kicks, for instance, but they were all of the "slappy" variety, with his foot more than with his shin. They were Savate kicks, rather than Muay Thai kicks, good for scoring points.

Palaszewski seems like the more polished and well-rounded fighter, at this point. Horodecki doesn't seem to have a real threatening grappling game yet. Of course, he's still a teenager, and he looks it. Both these guys are young, in fact. I'll be surprised if they aren't both in the UFC or PRIDE in 3-5 years.
pv3Hpv3p
3/23/07 2:09:00PM
I'm not sure if there was a second instance of Chris using the ropes in that fight, but in an earlier KO he had he held on to the ropes for balance as he kicked some dude in the face a couple of times...

I don't know if I would have givin Horodecki the fight, it was very even, and I personally would have deducted him a piont for bailing out of the ring like that, but as you said he's just a kid...

I thought his TD's looked decent, lots of room to improve...

I think he's the first of the new generation of MMA fighters (at least North American MMA fighters). I wouldn't be too suprised if we start seeing a big influx of younger kids that have been watching UFC since they were in diapers growing up dreaming to be the next Chuck, Randy, or Tito, instead of Montana, Gretzky, or Jordan...
hathcock32
3/24/07 5:08:38AM
Palaszewski got screwed. That choke was in tight. What are their rules, if he falls through the fight restarts on the feet, they dont go back to that position. It was a good fight though. Horodecki faced his first real tough opponet and he had trouble finishing him. Palaszewski won the fight IMO. i expect big things from both of them.
Lay_N_Pray
3/25/07 4:16:41PM
I agree both great fighters with huge futures but Palaszewski had that choke locked in super tight and I think that was the fight.

Horodecki impressed me with his striking accuracy and composure and had some nice take downs from the tie-up position. I think UFC and Pride would both have stronger divisions with adding either or both fighters in a year or two.
hathcock32
3/28/07 4:58:12AM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I agree both great fighters with huge futures but Palaszewski had that choke locked in super tight and I think that was the fight.

Horodecki impressed me with his striking accuracy and composure and had some nice take downs from the tie-up position. I think UFC and Pride would both have stronger divisions with adding either or both fighters in a year or two.

Horedecki did have good takedowns, just coudent do anything when he got him to the ground. i mean he didnt do a damn thing, just getting the takedowns for points. i agree both would be exciting fighters in the UFC.