Finally bringing this up on a thread

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Finally bringing this up on a thread
jjeans
1/1/12 12:53:58PM
For a long time I have had my own crazy ideas, I love rematches I love tournaments etc...

My idea was to make Strikeforce a brand for the fair weather fans.. So they could tune in only for entertainment fights and the UFC would/will stay as the legit number 1 brand featuring the best fighters.

My idea is too take exciting fighters who might be one dimensional or exceptional at one field and put them into strikeforce so that they can compete in 5 round fights and get the championship respect they deserve.

So taking the UFCs idea of dropping the HW (and for the sake of the argument) drop the LHW division

I was thinking they could split the divisions into entertaining fighters and contender fighters

The Welterweight Division is the easiest to show my idea.

Entertaining welterweight fighters include

Diego Sanchez
Martin Kampmann
Thiago Alves
Rick Story
Matt Brown
Dan Hardy
Amir Sadollah
Matt Serra
Paulo Thiago
Mike Swick
Paul Daley

I'm not talking about fighters who are coming off big win streaks I'm talking about fighters who have been in wars, who are coming off losses but put on shows, and if you hold the championship then there's a big chance you would get bumped over to the UFC. Fighters that fight at strikeforce would be bumped to the UFC.
For debuting fighters everybody should start in the UFC as always but if fighters are coming off 1 loss on there debut as opposed to being told if you lose your next fight to drop weight or be fired, theres motivation to put on a FOTN performance so you get moved to strikeforce.

The middleweight divisions fighters:
Chris Leben
Cung Le
Wanderlei Silva
Jason Miller
Tom Lawlor
Nate Quarry
Allessio Sakara
Jorge Rivera
Bring back Cote
Loser of Maia/Bisping should join the roster.
Akyiama
Ed Herman/Belcher... One of those should be bumped

Lightweight division:

Efrain Escudero
Spencer Fisher
Yves Edwards
Mark Bocek
Mac Danzig
Cody McCenzie
Paul Sass (if he ever loses his streak)
Anthony Njokuani
Terry Eitm
Dennis Siver
George Sotiropoulos
Sam Stout
Jeremy Stephens
Tony Fergusson, if he's found to have any holes in his game
Paul Taylor
Matt Wiman
Nate Diaz.... I would love to see him hold a championship of some kind.

Hell this is just my opinion, if you want to slate it down go for it, but I'd love to hear your opinions.
Rabi
1/1/12 1:25:59PM
Sorry Jay, you know I love you, but I dont like that idea. For me some of the most exciting times in the UFC's history is when they've bought at out another company and merged there rosters with the UFC. Pride FC and WEC jump to mind.

The sooner the UFC merges strikeforce into the UFC the better IMO.

I want to see the best fight the best. ATM the HW division merging with the UFC is awesome, I also want to see the likes of, Melendez, Rockhold, Woodley, Jacare, King Mo, Lawler all in the UFC!
Kpro
1/1/12 1:32:09PM
I wish they'd make, for instance, Diaz/Cerrone the 5x5 instead of Reem/Lesnar. It'll always be the bigger guys with worse cardio headlining and the co-main event will almost always be the one that should've been the 5 rounder. Heavyweights are what headlines, and they put on the least exciting 5 round fights of any division.

EDIT: Just realized this doesn't have much to do with the thread, It's a get drunk early day.
Aether
1/1/12 8:44:48PM
I think there's way too much focus on winning belts in MMA. When a guy loses a belt people always say things like "well he's still a top 10 fighter but he'll never hold the belt again, he should retire." Why? It's fine to be just a good fighter who won't win a belt, you can still have a great career and improve yourself. I agree with Rabi, I want to see everyone under 1 roof, then you can make all of those fights happen, plus a lot more.
mrsmiley
1/2/12 1:32:18PM

Posted by Aether

I think there's way too much focus on winning belts in MMA. When a guy loses a belt people always say things like "well he's still a top 10 fighter but he'll never hold the belt again, he should retire." Why? It's fine to be just a good fighter who won't win a belt, you can still have a great career and improve yourself. I agree with Rabi, I want to see everyone under 1 roof, then you can make all of those fights happen, plus a lot more.

I diffenently agree with their being too much focus on belts. Sure it's every fighters idea to be the best but in reality,I think with a guy like Brock their are still a lot of good fights for him that have nothing to do with a title.