Finally

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Finally
Mungooch
9/4/08 3:30:42AM
Yesterday I FINALLY got off my arse and started bjj. Loved it in my first lesson I got to armbar guilotine and kimura which was cool. Got tapped out alot in sparring but that is to be expected. I have loved mma for about 2 years but have only just got around to bjj after all this time, I'm only 17 so I got plenty of time.
Cdellorso
9/4/08 7:13:03AM
Thats awesome. did you get choked out?? I remember the constant sore throats and the numerous bruises.

PS: 73 total posts....... 31 props thats .51 props per post-
youll fill the prop meter in no time.
DiabloFreak56
9/4/08 9:29:48AM
nice dude good luck. i learned those during my first couple of sessions as well... i havent been going in awhile since of work but i wanna go back!
Jackelope
9/4/08 10:23:05AM
Awesome, bro. Keep it up

I'm all for teaching submissions, but I think instructors should be focusing on sweeps and positions for their first lessons. Then again, people won't usually come back after a trial if all they learn is positions.

Do me a favor, though.. don't be one of those guys who tries to muscle in submissions when they first start. When you're wrenching on your opponents necks and limbs it doesn't help train. Do things right, secure the position, and then put the submission on in the correct fashion. There's nothing that pisses me off more than some new guy trying to wrench on my neck in some ****** up position because he thinks rolling is a competition.
loller90278
9/4/08 2:11:23PM

Posted by Jackelope

Awesome, bro. Keep it up

I'm all for teaching submissions, but I think instructors should be focusing on sweeps and positions for their first lessons. Then again, people won't usually come back after a trial if all they learn is positions.

Do me a favor, though.. don't be one of those guys who tries to muscle in submissions when they first start. When you're wrenching on your opponents necks and limbs it doesn't help train. Do things right, secure the position, and then put the submission on in the correct fashion. There's nothing that pisses me off more than some new guy trying to wrench on my neck in some ****** up position because he thinks rolling is a competition.

very true, and don't act like a macho man and not tap if you're getting choked out. you're not helping anyone out by doing that, especially yourself.

but good job! i started bjj when i was 17 as well and have been loving it ever since
Raykill
9/4/08 2:51:00PM
Thats awesome brother. Now go and beat up on Kracker_Jap for me will ya?
j/k. Kracker_jap is good people. Just kicking my a$$ with this bet.
dannyfrank
9/4/08 5:03:35PM
thats cool man
you've inspired me to get off my ass and get back in shape
Svartorm
9/5/08 3:08:10AM
I'm kind of suprised at how many schools teach subs right off the bat. If someone doesn't know positioning, a sub is absolutely useless to them. I understand the concept of people not wanting to come back if they don't get to do something "offensive" but I'd rather spend the time on giving someone a skill they can actually use in the then and now. If the student doesn't want to come back because of that, then they didn't want to learn in the first place.
Mungooch
9/5/08 4:42:54AM
It was a advanced beginer class I went there cause my uncle does it. He started at the same time as the instructer but broke his neck in a comp and is just getting back into it after a few years out.
Svartorm
9/6/08 2:33:34AM
Ok, that makes more sense, but most people I've talked to in beginners classes do similar stuff, so it wasn't just you I was addressing.
The-Don
9/6/08 2:06:12PM

Posted by Svartorm

Ok, that makes more sense, but most people I've talked to in beginners classes do similar stuff, so it wasn't just you I was addressing.

yea I have seen that as well and ahve expereinced it... I always try to work with those I am training on basics by doing.. well the basics..
casey64
9/6/08 3:34:54PM
BlessMahMic
10/16/08 1:45:11AM
Props
gartface
10/16/08 10:47:06AM
I've been wanting to, but the town I live in doesn't have any martial arts studio aside from a broke down karate dojo. I did recently find out that there is a Gracie Barra gym only about an hour and a half away, but with college kicking my ass as it is, and financial constraints I don't have the time or money for gas at the moment. I'm hoping within the next year to start attending, does anyone know the requirements(if any whether it's physical or monetary) to join a bjj gym?
The-Don
10/16/08 1:54:35PM

Posted by Jackelope

Awesome, bro. Keep it up

yea I like how my instructor does it... When we have new students he mixes it up.. we'll do some subs and then sweeps and such and he'll show to to transition and such...