Final Thoughts on Affliction

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Final Thoughts on Affliction
Next Page »
hails
7/20/08 1:43:50AM
Wow, Just finished watching affliction.

Loved the last two fights, The Pit Bull back in town and Fedor doing what he does best.

This was the first time I had seen Fedor fight live, he was totally amazing. I don't know who actually stands a chance of beating him. Big Nog? Maybe? Randy? Not sure if he can take that punishment, Fedor seemed to hit harder than Chuck and we know what Chuck was able to do to Randy.

But I was not overly happy with the Affliction PPV, I didn't pay 39.95 to watch Megadeth, and some of the fighters seem to lack passion. If they lost it was no big deal for them, when fighters lose in the UFC they know they move way down the line for a title shot.

I much prefer watching fighting in a cage for many reasons...

Anyway I look forward to your thoughts now the dust is beginning to settle.

mach
7/20/08 1:47:31AM
Affliction ruled and I'm shocked that all the exciting fights came from the heavyweights. Started fairly slow with Linland and Babalu pulling out decisions but with Barnett, Arlovski and Fedor picking up exciting wins I was thoroughly entertained. I just watched UFC fights during the Megadeth segments.
jiujitsufreak74
7/20/08 1:48:10AM
Final Thoughts

Fedor should be arrested for rape in the first degree...Rothwell should see a dentist...Rizzo isn't the same fighter he was...Lindland is out of shape and should choose between politics and fighting as he looked horrible...Randy vs Fedor must happen

i think that just about covers it
SpiderSilva
7/20/08 1:53:19AM
um yeah Im glad I watched the UFC show and caught the Affliction fight on the web cause I was just gonna pay for 3 fights Barnnett was boring till the KO I was starting to think he was gonna get KOed Arlovski WOW please come back to the UFC and the finish Fedor is still the man he will move back to #2 in my P4P cause Silva still won with 1 punch Sylvia got the best of Fedor this fight was to prove something there is no HW out there for Fedor maybe he should cut to 205 to fight Anderson Silva

Mchubb316
7/20/08 1:53:43AM
Trigg before the fight saying Rothwell is underrated and will give AA fits, and could beat him. Arlovski looked great, and Rothwell looked like an IFL fighter. I hope AA keeps that mentality in his next fight.
juanez13
7/20/08 1:55:59AM
Arlovski looked great, alot of people were Judging/criticizing him for not being aggressive as he once was. But proved them wrong, he looked great, Freddie Roach must really be helping him out. Looking foward to seeing him again.

Fedor once proved to the tuf noobs (never seen him fight before) why he is widely considered the best HW in the world.

Barnett didnt look good until he got the KO, AA vs Fedor IMO more interesting (that of course if Randy isnt available at the time + Fedor wants 2 more fights this year)

Any one notice how the Barnett over Rizzo KO resembled the Hendo over Wandy KO...to me it looked exactly the same, left hook put him down, falls like if he body was paralyzed, jumps on him hit him with one more shot. exactly the same.
meier
7/20/08 1:59:38AM
the music fedor came out too. who was that?
jiujitsufreak74
7/20/08 2:03:19AM

Posted by meier

Era-Enea Vollare Mezzo

LINK
juanez13
7/20/08 2:04:49AM

Posted by meier

Im guessing its ERA, or ENYA. Him and his bro always come out to either one (they are bands, not a song)

Fedor usual song (that he came out in pride, and basically every fight except this one) is called Enae volare mezzo by ERA.

LINK to song

dont know specifically which song it was though, could hear to good.
meier
7/20/08 2:05:18AM
i dont think that was it. but a excellent showing from vitor tonight though.
juanez13
7/20/08 2:06:27AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by meier

Era-Enea Vollare Mezzo

LINK

Are you sure it was that one though, i know thats his usual song, but from what i've heard from his entrance, didnt seem like that was it.

dont know though, maybe they'll have it with the entrance later on.
jiujitsufreak74
7/20/08 2:08:12AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by meier

Era-Enea Vollare Mezzo

LINK

Are you sure it was that one though, i know thats his usual song, but from what i've heard from his entrance, didnt seem like that was it.

i am 90% sure
Ordep
7/20/08 2:19:07AM

Posted by juanez13

Arlovski looked great, alot of people were Judging/criticizing him for not being aggressive as he once was. But proved them wrong, he looked great, Freddie Roach must really be helping him out. Looking foward to seeing him again.

Fedor once proved to the tuf noobs (never seen him fight before) why he is widely considered the best HW in the world.

Barnett didnt look good until he got the KO, AA vs Fedor IMO more interesting (that of course if Randy isnt available at the time + Fedor wants 2 more fights this year)

Any one notice how the Barnett over Rizzo KO resembled the Hendo over Wandy KO...to me it looked exactly the same, left hook put him down, falls like if he body was paralyzed, jumps on him hit him with one more shot. exactly the same.

yep, me and my friend all discussed the Barnett-Rizzo KO being 98% equal to Hendo-Wandy
cmill21
7/20/08 3:15:19AM
I thought it was a great show and the UFC show put me to sleep until the Silva fight. I didn't like the megadeath stuff but the fights were awsome coming from the entire group who was watching with me.
Mungooch
7/20/08 3:30:11AM

Posted by mach

Affliction ruled and I'm shocked that all the exciting fights came from the heavyweights. Started fairly slow with Linland and Babalu pulling out decisions but with Barnett, Arlovski and Fedor picking up exciting wins I was thoroughly entertained. I just watched UFC fights during the Megadeth segments.

Same Here. I was suprised that I could watch both events here in Australia.
postman
7/20/08 3:49:11AM
Mungooch first off that might be the best av ever~! Second That AFFLICTION CARD WAS GREAT. other then some production issues they in one fight card jumped to #2! Looks like TITO IS A LOCK! I am in heaven! we might be back to a 2 team fight!
MikeyMikeMichaels
7/20/08 6:58:26AM
This payperview was horrible

Production sucked:
-Filled with technicall difficulties
-Too much dead silence on the air
-Cheesey intros
-Horrible camera angles
-Announcers were horrible (Big John being the exception, he was very good)
-No HOT RING GIRLS

I could go on, but if you saw the show and are used to the high level of production value you get with a UFC event, then you know what I mean.

Fights:

-Too much Babalu and Barnette ass kissing
-Rings suck for MMA, but that's a personal opinion
-Only two good fights, the rest were boring and sloppy, but all that is the fault of the talent not the company.
-Refferees did well In my opinion
-Judges were/and still are I bet, morons- I agree that Babalu won the fight, but not 30-27 unanimous. Whitehead got the 2nd round.

Entertainment:

-MEGADEATH IS SHITTY, they might be ok if they got a lead singer and not a lead mumbler who is like 60 years old.
-Donald Trump is a chump and has no business being involved in MMA

OVERALL:

I fought to stay awake the entire time, I continued to watch this show instead of UFC's simply because I payed for it. The only good things about ordering this event was seeing FEDOR fight live for the first time, seeing Tim Sylvia get destroyed, and it was a good excuse for ordering pizza for dinner. WAR PIZZA!!!
Rush
7/20/08 9:59:00AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by meier

Era-Enea Vollare Mezzo

LINK

When I see the entrance I'll confirm it. I have a couple ERA CDs and know there are some different mixes of Enae Volare. Plus, a lot of ERA's songs are similar sounding. Just don't watch the videos.
DCRage
7/20/08 10:16:59AM
Followed it online, there clearly were major problems. How do those paramedics arrive late? (I know, California traffic, but still...) It cost them an entire fight (at least Levens & Lazama will be paid). Then I understand there were snafus in taping/putting on the TV fights, among other things, some noted. My only other real comment: Fedor is still a god. Let the P4P debate be revived-after last night, is Fedor or Silva #1?
mrsmiley
7/20/08 10:32:01AM
I thought Affliction was a great card.Their were a few problems with the production and such,but hey,for a first show I can't complain at all.Comparing Afflictions first show to other organizations first show makes them look like they are off to a great start.

I thought the announcing was pretty solid as well.Always thought Frank Trigg was a great announcer and Big John and Glazer fit nicely.Could have been better,but hey what couldn't?

I thought it was refreshing to see the big introduction at the beginning with all the fighters.Reminded me of PRIDE.I often think the UFC fighter introductions are almost too ghetto, and no flavor is added to them.

The huge confetti ending to Fedor/Slyvia I thought was great.Made it really seem like the win was symbolic in a way or something.
Rush
7/20/08 10:57:19AM
I still ahve yet to see every fight on the Affliction card, but I will say that every live event has production problems. The UFC, despite its numerous shows, still has production problems about half the time and they are even working on a cooke cutter style set-up.
Jackelope
7/20/08 11:00:46AM

Posted by mrsmiley

I thought Affliction was a great card.Their were a few problems with the production and such,but hey,for a first show I can't complain at all.Comparing Afflictions first show to other organizations first show makes them look like they are off to a great start.

I thought the announcing was pretty solid as well.Always thought Frank Trigg was a great announcer and Big John and Glazer fit nicely.Could have been better,but hey what couldn't?

I thought it was refreshing to see the big introduction at the beginning with all the fighters.Reminded me of PRIDE.I often think the UFC fighter introductions are almost too ghetto, and no flavor is added to them.

The huge confetti ending to Fedor/Slyvia I thought was great.Made it really seem like the win was symbolic in a way or something.

I agree.

Minus some technical difficulties (Mic feedback, bad camera work, misspelled and mispronounced things, MEGADETH) the production was solid. Especially for a first time show. If people go back and watch UFC 1, EliteXC1, etc. etc. they will see how Affliction did a ton better than all of them for their first show.

Mainly the fights were great and the Trigg/Glazer/McCarthy combo worked pretty well. All of those guys train so they all know their shit, which is a nice change from *ahem* Goldberg! (Both of em)

juanez13
7/20/08 11:35:14AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by juanez13

Posted by meier

Era-Enea Vollare Mezzo

LINK

When I see the entrance I'll confirm it. I have a couple ERA CDs and know there are some different mixes of Enae Volare. Plus, a lot of ERA's songs are similar sounding. Just don't watch the videos.

I've just rewatched it, and it sure doesnt sound like Enae volare mezzo. Although not with great sound, but it didnt sound like it, it did however sound like the words were they use are similiar (is it Latin) so it leads me to believe its something by ERA. About 95% sure it isnt Enae Volare Mezzo, or at least the version he uses 99% of the time.
Rush
7/20/08 11:44:10AM
I'll confirm it later tonight or tomorrow morning.
coldchillin
7/20/08 1:22:49PM
I think they accomplished everything they wanted to do with this event:

They got to set-up Fedor vs. Couture even though I think Barnett deserves the shot more. Barnett mounted Couture and beat him decisively.... Couture is ranked behind Barnett. Fedor-Couture is a bigger fight right now though.

They'll get to set up a middleweight fight between Vitor and Lindland... I think Vitor is going to beat him though.

Arlovski looked awesome and they can definitely put him in a big next against Barnett or Aleksander. Both fights would be exciting.

They would love to sign Tito and have him fight Babalu right away. I forgot about the Apprentice connection between Tito and Trump. If not, they'll just have Babalu fight Lil' NOG then.

As for the production, the lighting was a bit dark even in HD. I love watching fights in an actual ring though instead of a cage though.
Rush
7/21/08 8:56:28AM
The song Fedor came out to is not Enae Volare or Enae Volare Mezzo. In fact, it doesn't sound like any ERA song that I own.
pv3Hpv3p
7/21/08 12:29:35PM

Posted by MikeyMikeMichaels

This payperview was horrible

Production sucked:
-Filled with technicall difficulties
-Too much dead silence on the air
-Cheesey intros
-Horrible camera angles
-Announcers were horrible (Big John being the exception, he was very good)
-No HOT RING GIRLS

I could go on, but if you saw the show and are used to the high level of production value you get with a UFC event, then you know what I mean.

Fights:

-Too much Babalu and Barnette ass kissing
-Rings suck for MMA, but that's a personal opinion
-Only two good fights, the rest were boring and sloppy, but all that is the fault of the talent not the company.
-Refferees did well In my opinion
-Judges were/and still are I bet, morons- I agree that Babalu won the fight, but not 30-27 unanimous. Whitehead got the 2nd round.

Entertainment:

-MEGADEATH IS SHITTY, they might be ok if they got a lead singer and not a lead mumbler who is like 60 years old.
-Donald Trump is a chump and has no business being involved in MMA

OVERALL:

I fought to stay awake the entire time, I continued to watch this show instead of UFC's simply because I payed for it. The only good things about ordering this event was seeing FEDOR fight live for the first time, seeing Tim Sylvia get destroyed, and it was a good excuse for ordering pizza for dinner. WAR PIZZA!!!

No offense... but your opinion sucks

this post smells of "if it's not UFC, it sucks" and that's just a shame... that you could criticize the judges for not giving Whitehead 1 round in a fight he very clearly lost, even though he got a TD or two, and some how translate that into poor judging is a stretch, in the least...

And if you look at your list of grievances, they're pretty weak in general... Why clutch at straws to find something that you don't like about it and not just enjoy some good fights... Either that or just say that I didn't like it cause it wasn't the UFC...

just don't understand why some people can't have an open mind to this stuff??
MikeyMikeMichaels
7/21/08 2:07:45PM
you are way off about me buddy. I do enjoy other promotions other than UFC. The fights were not very entertaining and like I said the production sucked. Yes I do understand that you can't expect the first show to be the best, but they were borderline pro-wrestling on this show. It definately did not live up to the hype, with all of the great fights that were on this card. I feel that the fighters did not deliver the performances expected of them. Fedor, Barnett and Arlovski were really the only ones that brought their A game. There are plenty of UFC events that I have seen that I could say the same things about, but this isn't about the UFC this is all about this afflicion event. I am not saying that they should not continue and I will most likely order the next event also, because I love watching MMA. Seeing Fedor was a good enough reason to not feel so bad about watching the whole event. I think you took my words too harsh and a bit personal, and I can see why I guess.

I guess we will just have to agree to dissagree on this subject.
SteedTheDeed
7/21/08 7:43:55PM
Megadeth was a great idea. A lot of Megadeth fans will pay just to see them play 3 or 4 songs. It drew a lot more people and that is what they want.
Rabi
7/26/08 1:26:21PM
Just watched the event on DVD and I really enjoyed the fights. ( I fast forwarded through the intro's and just watched the fights).

I thought the Lindland fight was a good fight. They slugged a bit and there was some good takedowns.

Arlovski's fight was also exciting. Big Ben showed a lot of heart but in the end was outclassed.

Fedor was awsome. Still the No 1 pound for pound IMO.

Can't wait to see there next card. If you moved the fighters around on that card you could put another good card together.

These are the fights I would like to see next:

Fedor v Arlovski
Sylvia v Barnett
Rothwell v Rizzo
Belfort v Lindland
Sobral v Nogueira
Pages: [1] 2