Filho might be the world’s best middleweight (Story from Yahoo! Sports)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Filho might be the world’s best middleweight (Story from Yahoo! Sports)
Bemin
12/10/07 3:49:08PM
There is nobody in MMA today who has as impressive a spotless record as World Extreme Cagefighting 185-pound champion Paulo Filho, a man many feel is the best middleweight in the world.

Yet, even with a 15-0 record, Filho’s last year has been frustrating. A knee injury kept him one match short of winning the 2006 Pride Grand Prix tournament. After recovering, he made his U.S. debut in winning the vacant World Extreme Cagefighting middleweight championship on Aug. 5 in Las Vegas, beating Joe Doerksen in a match where he was nowhere near his best.

On that day, he was fighting two bouts in one. First, he was facing a tough Canadian, and second, an even tougher opponent, food poisoning. Still, a bad night for Filho would be a good night for most fighters. He struggled early for the takedown, but then got it and quickly pounded Doerksen into defeat in 4:09.

link
wapttn
12/10/07 4:30:42PM
Am I the only one who thinks thats a bit of a stretch? Gotta fight the best to be the best.. and I see filho having a whole lotta trouble with franklin and henderson.. oh.. not to mention anderson silva. That puts him 4th on my list.
grappler0000
12/10/07 4:39:37PM

Posted by wapttn

Am I the only one who thinks thats a bit of a stretch? Gotta fight the best to be the best.. and I see filho having a whole lotta trouble with franklin and henderson.. oh.. not to mention anderson silva. That puts him 4th on my list.

I don't see him beating Silva or Hendo...and Franklin is a tough call.
cmill21
12/10/07 4:49:40PM
Ithink he would beat franklin, but not hendo or silva.
silverbullet
12/10/07 5:40:22PM
I don't know about the best middleweight in the world, but at least he's not a slut or a prostitute.
billycarnage
12/10/07 6:24:33PM
UFC has got at least the top 2 MW in the world, Silva being #1, and Hendo being #2.

candynuts
12/10/07 11:49:04PM

Posted by silverbullet

I don't know about the best middleweight in the world, but at least he's not a slut or a prostitute.

Very true!
Thats all that matters in the end
chokesetterjake
12/11/07 2:02:50AM
i have him in at number three under silva and henderson. im hoping he will get on with the ufc to see where he ranks with some contenders.
postman
12/11/07 5:21:19AM
I would have to put him in the top 3 but not number 1
krthll1
12/11/07 12:46:08PM
I also think him being number one middleweight is a stretch but he is definately pretty talented. I do believe that Chael Sonnen will give him more of a challenge than everybody is saying. He probably could beat Franklin but I think he would get beat up bad by Anderson Silva and Dan Henderson.