Filho vs. Silva, MW superfight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Filho vs. Silva, MW superfight?
pinoymixplaya
12/11/07 10:25:15PM
Anybody else thinks so? I mean this would be awesome if Anderson can get past Henderson, and I really think that Filho would be the best challenge for Silva. Although this probably wouldn't happen for a while since Zuffa would probably want to keep Filho in WEC to bring that up, but still can't help but wish right?
TimW001
12/11/07 10:30:25PM
Well Filho and Anderson are good friends. And that's pretty much the only reason the Filho isn't in the UFC.
pinoymixplaya
12/11/07 10:33:49PM
ahh, did not know that, well that sucks. That would be an awesome fight. I mean I know how Filho feels about being true to his country and his people and all that but I am sure he has fought Brazilians before and will later on so I didn't think that would be a big deal. Still would be a great match.
TimW001
12/11/07 10:43:56PM
Yea I'de love to see it aswell. Rapage and hendo were good friends and they fought hard.

In the meantime , the UFC should get Lindland just to prove how good Silva is.

bullettdodger
12/12/07 12:53:43AM
I think Silva would destroy Filho, just my opinion, as i know you guys have yours... but i don't see anyone in the near future who would even challenge Anderson for the Belt. That long and lanky frame is excellent for his muai thai and really really deceptive as far as his strength is concerned. Anyone have any ideas of who could topple Silva besides Filho
TimW001
12/12/07 1:11:00AM

Posted by bullettdodger

I think Silva would destroy Filho, just my opinion, as i know you guys have yours... but i don't see anyone in the near future who would even challenge Anderson for the Belt. That long and lanky frame is excellent for his muai thai and really really deceptive as far as his strength is concerned. Anyone have any ideas of who could topple Silva besides Filho

Fedor....

...But yea for MW I have to agree. I just want the UFC to sign Lindland so people would stop putting him at #1.
ohiostate1016
12/12/07 1:19:48AM
I'd like to see Filho/Silva, but I don't think that's gonna happen. They are both from Brazil, and as people have mentioned before, they are good friends. I think that if Filho DOES come to the UFC, then he would probably fight Rich Franklin first. Then, if somebody took the belt away from Silva, he'd get a title shot. But I don't think he'd take a fight against Anderson. And it's not because he's afraid...he just doesn't want to fight his friend. I can respect that.
CornishMMA
12/12/07 6:04:46AM
LOL at the ? in the title, is that really a question? for all intense purposes they are the 2 best MW's in the world so yes it would be a superfight but sadly they have said they wouldnt fight, maybe for enough $$$ they may tho!
CornishMMA
12/12/07 6:09:52AM

Posted by TimW001

I just want the UFC to sign Lindland so people would stop putting him at #1.

Does that mean you dont think Matt would beat Silva? He is the most likely for sure, that style is clearly the best way to beat Silva, ok the knees may have played a part but Lutter got him down very easily, just imagine what the law could do to him for 5 rds!
Franklinfan47
12/12/07 9:54:34AM
After hendo, and if Silva fights Okami, I would have to agree at this point in time. There is no one else right now that seems to be in contention. But between now and then, who knows. Lutter, Kampmann, Cote, Belcher or even Evan Tanner could rise up into contendership.
atlas777
12/12/07 1:45:59PM
I think Hendo and Matt are the only ones that could possibly beat Silva i think Hendos chin , strikes and wrestling might be the trick to beat him and with Matt i beleieve his greco-roman and submission defense might be enough to pull out a win for him.
HUSKERLINK
12/12/07 2:04:36PM
Yes Filho and Silva are GOOD friends,but lets remember 1 thing.....Filho will still have 3 more fights left under his current WEC contract. I would HOPE that Dana White would do something to bring him over to the UFC......After all...Dana White and his "monopoly" OWN the WEC!
fullerene
12/12/07 3:11:19PM
fighting in a cage, in the U.S., you have to have an answer for strong, weight-cutting wrestlers. Filho is fighting one of those in Sonnen.
SexPanther
12/12/07 8:28:02PM
filho will kick sonnens ass and eventually he will get tired of fighting in the wec when he knows he could be champion in the ufc.

these guys are on a collision course whether they like it or not.
Lay_N_Pray
12/12/07 9:11:40PM
Silva/Filho would be a superb fight, but as mentioned a few times already, they are friends.

Friends have fought each other before, but the implications of this fight would not be able to be truly seen if they fight.

The fight would be to see who is the best MW in the world and no matter who won it wouldn't be a real clear cut outcome. Filho would have the clear advantage because it is a lot easier to wrestle and grapple a friend then punch him and knee him in the face as hard as possible.

As much as Silva would like to admit he would always go all out in a fight, there is no way that would be true, its only natural to be a little tenative. Paulo would be able to wrestle and submit him knowing he didn't hurt his friend.

So there would be no real true outcome in my opinion
Ultimate_fighter
12/12/07 10:30:26PM
Silva i think would win, by ko in the second round
Californiastrangler
12/13/07 12:16:06AM
Not after the lucky win he pulled off tonight against Sonnen. Fihlo got exposed as another overrated pride superstar
JeremiahD84
12/13/07 12:18:47AM
I don't believe there is anyone right now capable of beating Silva.

Silva would put Filho in a body bag, 30 seconds into the first round.
ufcboss
12/13/07 3:11:26AM
It's not like there fighting at home or in a bar, It would be for the UFC title, Friend or not, Take the fight if offered.

Its not like they are PRO fighters or anything.

Shogun/Silva
Koscheck/Fitch (They atleast said they would for a title)

A couple fights that come to mind we will probally never see.

cmill21
12/13/07 3:22:37AM

Posted by Californiastrangler

Not after the lucky win he pulled off tonight against Sonnen. Fihlo got exposed as another overrated pride superstar

Filho fights in the WEC by the way.
fullerene
12/13/07 8:12:38AM
IMO, Filho answered one of the two big questions about him: Can he win against a big wrestler who can take top position on him. Even if you think the stoppage was wrong, he legitimately had Sonnen in trouble 3 times in 2 rounds, so I think the answer is "Yes", he's dangerous even if he's forced on his back and against the cage.

The other big question is whether he can close the distance and avoid punishment from a rangy striker. Anderson Silva is the toughest guy in that category, but a matchup against someone like Rich Franklin of David Louiseau wouldn't be an easy fight either. I don't know the answer to how he'd do until I see him fight someone of that style. He's slow and has a short reach which work against him. On the plus side, he looks like he could take a ton of punishment and he seems very calm even when the fight isn't going his way.