Filho vs Hughes

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Filho vs Hughes
kublakhan
3/20/07 8:39:14PM
Does anyone think that Matt Hughes vs. Paulo Filho would be a great fight? Who wins and why?

Result: Filho by Unanimous Decision!
shackle
3/20/07 8:47:09PM
Matt would most likely win if you ask me.

Strength, and conditioning would play a big part in this fight.

It would be a great fight though since Filho is almost (or) at contender level.
hippysmacker
3/20/07 9:42:49PM
Matt's a better wrestler, Paulo has better BJJ. It would most likely be a grappling match, and I think whoever was on top would win. Filho's subs are great, but I think Matt's Jits is good enough now to avoid the sub. If this happened I think casual fans would boo though.
shackle
3/20/07 10:22:39PM
Yeah not a great fight for the ultimate boxing fans I guess.

When will people learn mma lol... However everyone loves a nice standing slobber knocker(yea I can't beleave I said slobber knocker either lol) no doubt, but this isn't boxing.

great point hippy.

Posted by hippysmacker

Matt's a better wrestler, Paulo has better BJJ. It would most likely be a grappling match, and I think whoever was on top would win. Filho's subs are great, but I think Matt's Jits is good enough now to avoid the sub. If this happened I think casual fans would boo though.

Jeffanori-Gomi
3/20/07 11:07:22PM

Posted by shackle

I have a really hard time picking Matt on this one, especially by his last lack luster performance.

Fihlo is a little Arona and has great wrestling and bjj

IMO Fihlo would win
migo
3/21/07 2:21:17AM
Matt's takedowns aren't that good these days even though his background is wrestling. Filho's are excellent, he has better boxing than Matt for sure and Matt would be hard pressed to take Filho down. Filho's all around the better fighter.
kublakhan
3/21/07 8:55:14AM
Agreed!
roadking95th
3/21/07 11:01:19AM
Matt would be able to take Filho down. Matt's takedowns have not been that great lately for two reasons. First, both GSP and Penn have great takedown defense. Second, Both are great strikers. With those two qualities, it is very hard to take them down. Filho isn't the same caliber in those regards.

Hughes, by GnP.
AchillesHeel
3/21/07 11:12:28AM
Yep, another vote for Hughes. Filho is definitely on the up, though.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/21/07 12:30:49PM

Posted by roadking95th

Matt would be able to take Filho down. Matt's takedowns have not been that great lately for two reasons. First, both GSP and Penn have great takedown defense. Second, Both are great strikers. With those two qualities, it is very hard to take them down. Filho isn't the same caliber in those regards.

Hughes, by GnP.

So where does Chris Lytle add up in this equation? That fight was yawn-fest 2007
Matt looked horrible, and the only reason he got Chris with the takedown is because Lytle thought he could sink the guilotine.(Lytle mentioned that in an interview with Sherdog) Matt Hughes is not the Matt Hughes of a few years ago. He hasnt evolved his game nearly well enough to hang with the top middle wieghts in the world. If it was the Matt Hughes that squared off against Trigg, maybe another story, but Fihlo is in his prime and the bout would be really one sided IMO
roadking95th
3/21/07 2:47:20PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by roadking95th

Hughes, by GnP.

So where does Chris Lytle add up in this equation? That fight was yawn-fest 2007
Matt looked horrible, and the only reason he got Chris with the takedown is because Lytle thought he could sink the guilotine.(Lytle mentioned that in an interview with Sherdog) Matt Hughes is not the Matt Hughes of a few years ago. He hasnt evolved his game nearly well enough to hang with the top middle wieghts in the world. If it was the Matt Hughes that squared off against Trigg, maybe another story, but Fihlo is in his prime and the bout would be really one sided IMO

I thought Matt had little difficulty taking Lytle down. I did, however, believe he was too catious on the the ground and was being to persistent in trying to get the crucifix(or whatever it is called). He think Matt wanted the sure win first, and then pound him out or whatever came his way. Lytle's best hope was a bomb and Matt knew that. Matt simply didn't take any risks he didn't have to take. Hughes over Filho IMO.
madmarck
3/21/07 3:08:50PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by shackle

I have a really hard time picking Matt on this one, especially by his last lack luster performance.

Fihlo is a little Arona and has great wrestling and bjj

IMO Fihlo would win

I think Fihlo would have the advantage. That is if he can be stronger than Hughes. IMO Hughes is a massive WW and if he were gonna fight at 185 he could bulk up even more.

Imagine a bigger stronger hughes.

Fihlo would seem to have the advantage with better BJJ. But its nothing Hughes has faced b4.
Hughes wins in a 5 round fight by TKO in the early 5th late 4th.
Hughes wins by Split Decision in a 3 roudn fihgt.
pv3Hpv3p
3/21/07 5:26:41PM
Filho by arm bar...

It was less than a year ago that Paulo was thinking about moving up to 205 (MW or LHW however you want to look at it)... He is an absolute monster, strenght wise, and would give Hughes a whole boatload of problems wherever the fight ended up.

I loved watching Matt Hughes do what he does best for years as well, but there is a very slim chance that he wins this fight...

Paulo is undefeated, has freakin retard strength, is super slick off his back, and a(the) top contender for the pride WW belt...

Why would anyone think that if Hughes moved up in weight class he could hang with a top ten guy?

Once again not taking anything away from Hughes, but do ya'all think that he would beat Marquardt or Henderson or Franklin for that matter???
migo
3/22/07 12:35:12AM

Posted by roadking95th

Hughes, by GnP.

Filho outstruck Ninja, and his takedown defense is excellent. Can you recall him ever being taken down?
Trapt1nw0nder
3/22/07 6:27:23AM
Matt Hughes wins...Next question...
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/22/07 2:41:20PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Matt Hughes wins...Next question...

Wow dude are you Dana White?