filho vs doerkson at WEC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » filho vs doerkson at WEC
fatdevil1982
6/21/07 8:38:30AM
i told you filho was going to WEC and here it is

The following is an excerpt from an article on MMAOnTap.com:

MMA on Tap has confirmed that Joe Doerksen will be facing PRIDE veteran Paulo Filho August 5th at WEC 29.

To read the complete article, click here.
babalu2720
6/21/07 9:23:23AM
This is a waste of time for Fihlo, He could be UFC middlewight champ nevermid WEC champ. Anything short of domination for Fihlo would disappoint me
AchillesHeel
6/21/07 11:52:33AM

Posted by babalu2720

This is a waste of time for Fihlo, He could be UFC middlewight champ nevermid WEC champ. Anything short of domination for Fihlo would disappoint me

It does seem a little weird that Filho signed with the WEC, and not the UFC. Before the collapse, I would have picked Filho to be the top contender for a Pride FC 170-lb belt, and he could probably make some noise in the UFC's 185 division. In the WEC, he looks like a big fish in a small pond.
Stickan
6/21/07 11:58:31AM
I really enjoyed WEC 28 and hopefully it's shaping up to be a great organization. I'm sure we'll see Filho fight the best of the UFC 185 division in the future but as of now I'm just excited to see him fight again.
I have no problem seeing Filho vs Condit or Larson to showcase Filhos skills and on what level he is. It's also a chance for Condit and Larson to send a message to the UFC.

I'm sure we'll see unification bouts between the two organizations down the road.

Paulao by TKO rd.1
richieb19
6/21/07 11:59:35AM
It's not weird at all that Fihlo was placed in WEC, how come nobody sees this but me? The guy is a phenomenal fighter, and could easily be in contention for the title in no time... however hes boring as hell, and lay 'n prays his way to victories... it would throw in an awful twist in the UFC, making all their marketed MW fighters look bad, and making the division look boring...
AchillesHeel
6/21/07 12:45:55PM

Posted by richieb19

It's not weird at all that Fihlo was placed in WEC, how come nobody sees this but me? The guy is a phenomenal fighter, and could easily be in contention for the title in no time... however hes boring as hell, and lay 'n prays his way to victories... it would throw in an awful twist in the UFC, making all their marketed MW fighters look bad, and making the division look boring...

If he's that bad, he shouldn't be in the WEC either.
fatdevil1982
6/21/07 12:50:54PM
th eproblem they are having is bringing in pride fighters and not having the casual fans know them. then when this new guy shows up and wins (anderson silva), he makes the ufc look bad, when he comes in and looses after all the hype they put into him (cro cop), they just wasted production time building him up

sending filho to WEC is a way to build his american fan base before sending him to the UFC, not saying he doesnt have fans, he just doesnt have the casual fan base.
richieb19
6/21/07 1:31:01PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by richieb19

It's simple, as I said previously he would ruin the face of the MW division, it's a smart move to drop him in WEC... be honest here, without doing any type of research, name me 5 people that fight in the WEC middleweight division...
mmadb
6/21/07 1:40:43PM

Posted by richieb19

I wouldn't exactly call Marquardt any more exciting than Filho so I'm not sure I agree with that logic.
richieb19
6/21/07 1:43:58PM

Posted by mmadb

Posted by richieb19

I wouldn't exactly call Marquardt any more exciting than Filho so I'm not sure I agree with that logic.

You see I disagree, Marquardt is very exciting to alot of people because he brings in a very specific game plan for every opponent, it's always neat to see how he will shut them down... Fihlo on the other hand is completely predictable, he puts people on their backs, and submits if it's there... He would beat half the MW division, making them look bad... and in turn making the division look bad... It's by no means a question of skill, hes just not very marketable IMHO, and I think I'm right, as I guessed he was going to be put into the WEC and not the UFC...
KYGUY07
6/21/07 3:39:02PM
Is the wec middleweight belt vacant, if so he should be fighting for it.
AchillesHeel
6/21/07 6:55:22PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by richieb19

It's simple, as I said previously he would ruin the face of the MW division, it's a smart move to drop him in WEC...

If he's so unwatchable, why would they sign him at all? If he'll "throw an awful twist" into the UFC, won't he throw an awful twist into the WEC too? In fact, it'll be worse, because he'll probably have the WEC title in no time flat.

Posted by richieb19

be honest here, without doing any type of research, name me 5 people that fight in the WEC middleweight division...

No.

So what's that got to do with Filho being a dull fighter?
richieb19
6/21/07 7:03:38PM
It means that there are not many big name fighters in the WEC MW div, and Fihlo will make a name for himself there in no time, which is good... however in the UFC, he would beat marketable fighters like Franklin, Okami, Marquardt, Silva, Kampmann, etc. and make them all look bad, and at the same time, make the division less desirable...
DoTheMMAth
6/21/07 7:16:21PM
I'm surprised that he is in WEC rather than the UFC considering that the UFC will put up with some, err, "blanket-like" fighters. From a business point of view I understand their decision in wanting to put on exciting, crowd-pleaser fights. But from a personal point of view I really would have liked to see how far he'd go in the UFC sooner rather than later. Either way, boring or not, this guy is the real deal imo and will make it to the UFC in time. Would love to see him have a war and try to shut someone down like Marquardt
mmadb
6/22/07 11:06:20AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by mmadb

Posted by richieb19

You see I disagree, Marquardt is very exciting to alot of people because he brings in a very specific game plan for every opponent, it's always neat to see how he will shut them down... Fihlo on the other hand is completely predictable, he puts people on their backs, and submits if it's there... He would beat half the MW division, making them look bad... and in turn making the division look bad... It's by no means a question of skill, hes just not very marketable IMHO, and I think I'm right, as I guessed he was going to be put into the WEC and not the UFC...

You know, I still just can't agree with that. I think only the hardcore fans will appreciate Marquardt's discipline. Marquardt looks just as predictable as Filho to a regular schmoe. I don't see how he's any more marketable than Filho. The Unanimous Decision highlight package doesn't exactly blow people away like watching Silva mangle Franklin's nose.
JewJitsu
6/29/07 6:58:34PM
Why is everyone doubting Joe?

I will not be surprised at all is Filho does end up winning but Joe is not a push over at all.

I think this fight will be closer than everyone anticipates.