Top 4 Fights That Should Have Never Happened

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Top 4 Fights That Should Have Never Happened
Trench777
3/18/08 5:40:31PM
One mans opinion of the top 4 that should have never happened.
(if you dont wanna read the whole article, here's his rankings)
#4 Shamrock/Ortiz Part III
#3 Fedor/Circus Freak Choi
#2 Sakuraba/Wandy Part III
#1 Hughes/Royce

Da Linkage

T777
bullettdodger
3/18/08 5:48:13PM

Posted by Trench777

#1 Hughes/Royce

Da Linkage

T777

I can get behind that list except for the circus freak bit
silverbullet
3/18/08 5:52:12PM
Agree 100%
Twenty20Dollars
3/18/08 5:57:02PM
yeah fedor shouldnt have fought choi
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/18/08 5:59:43PM
Hughes vs Royce was painful to watch
nickcuc547
3/18/08 6:05:55PM
cant argue with any of those, pretty spot on.
Mhunt1140
3/18/08 6:20:03PM
Like everyone else I agree 100%
RMFG_187
3/18/08 6:33:15PM

Posted by Trench777

#1 Hughes/Royce

Da Linkage

T777

sorry but i disagree 75%

Shamrock Ortiz III had too happen, cuz the second fight was prematurely stopped. whether he lost or not it had 2 happen.

Wandy Sakuraba III gave the Japanese fans what they wanted. there Star vs Wandy.

And Hughes vs Gracie... wtf are u talking about? Royce did get owned that fight. but showed A LOT of heart. he got caught in a sub, that looked pretty deep, and didnt even flinch. Gracie was a tough opponent, and that was one of the most pivotal fights in UFC history. new school vs old skool.
ncordless
3/18/08 6:42:07PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Posted by Trench777

#1 Hughes/Royce

Da Linkage

T777

sorry but i disagree 75%

Shamrock Ortiz III had too happen, cuz the second fight was prematurely stopped. whether he lost or not it had 2 happen.

Wandy Sakuraba III gave the Japanese fans what they wanted. there Star vs Wandy.

And Hughes vs Gracie... wtf are u talking about? Royce did get owned that fight. but showed A LOT of heart. he got caught in a sub, that looked pretty deep, and didnt even flinch. Gracie was a tough opponent, and that was one of the most pivotal fights in UFC history. new school vs old skool.

I Agree with 66% of your 75% disagreement with the TS. I too, however, disagree with 75% of the TS.

Wandy Saku 3 should not have happened. I wouldn't want to see Joe Montana get sacked by Sean Merriman. Why would anyone want to see their star get KTFO one more time?
Manak
3/18/08 6:51:02PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by RMFG_187

Posted by Trench777

#1 Hughes/Royce

Da Linkage

T777

sorry but i disagree 75%

I Agree with 66% of your 75% disagreement with the TS. I too, however, disagree with 75% of the TS.

Wandy Saku 3 should not have happened. I wouldn't want to see Joe Montana get sacked by Sean Merriman. Why would anyone want to see their star get KTFO one more time?

wandy/saku 3 shoudl not have happened after the 1st 2 cause it was a pure beating.

ken/ortiz 3 shouldnt have happend either. lookin at that fight ken was out, heonly recovered so fast is cause herb stop otriz from hittin with 5 more clean eblows and puttin him in a coma and in the post fight interview ortiz shows the knot on his eblow from bashin ken in. thats the way i see it
RMFG_187
3/18/08 7:00:25PM
wandy saku should have happend. but ortiz shammy, and gracie hughes should have happend more than saku wandy
RMFG_187
3/18/08 7:01:51PM

Posted by ncordless

i read that 5 times, and im still confused. lol i sorta... understand tho, but my brain is overloading!
PaleHorse
3/18/08 7:10:09PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Trench777

#1 Hughes/Royce

Da Linkage

T777

I can get behind that list except for the circus freak bit

Hughes/Royce was a fight that needed to happen, I'm going to disagree with him on that one. Royce faught much bigger guys than Hughes, and won, although Hughes is incredibly talented, that event was just to show all the UFC fans that times have changed. Its like saying that Mark Coleman vs Brock Lesnar is a fight that shouldn't happen, I can't tell you how psyched for that fight I actually am.

I think that the Choi fight was whatever, I kind of wished Fedor would have fought someone at least in the top 10, but it really showed some similarities to me between him and Randy, he faught the biggest guy in MMA and won, props no matter what. Shamrock/Ortiz III is very true, the only Shamrock that should have rematched Tito is Frank. I'm going to go ahead and vote that Tito Rashad shouldn't have happened, two fighters who don't push the pace to really win doesn't make for the best matchup. Also I'm going to go ahead and say that the Gannon Hinkle fight shouldn't have happened because Gannon was tough, but not fit, the UFC is for dedicated athletes, you don't look like Tank Abbott if you train every day. SPEAKING OF TANK, I think that the Tank/Kimbo fight was the most worthless fight ever, I knew from the second that match was made Kimbo would KO tank early in the first round. Thats not even based off any props for Kimbo (not that he isn't a great fighter), but Tank is long out of his prime if he ever had a prime while in his MMA career. The Kimbo/Tank fight had great marketing and everything with the street certification and all that jazz, and Kimbo and Tank both being famous for never turning a fight down, the fact is that if Bas Rutten really wants to show his pupil off he won't keep putting him up against heavyweight has-beens and nobodies, he can't just keep feeding him, Kimbo is going to have to earn the respect of the true MMA community.
gartface
3/18/08 7:31:51PM
I'm so surprised no one has said Matt Serra/GSP.
MondayNiteMauser
3/18/08 7:39:44PM
I personally think Chuck fighting Jardine was ridiculous. Jardine wasn't even close to the level of fighter that chuck is but that's MMA.
iwannabesedated
3/18/08 7:59:46PM
Cro Cop Vs Gonzaga
tberg420
3/18/08 8:08:07PM
I agree with what the guy says but I hate that site. I recently caught the play by play guy stealing the commentary off the message boards for the recent Cage Rage Event. It's crappy journalism like that which gives the rest of us a bad name.
D-Money34
3/18/08 8:55:55PM
All i know is i wish the kongo cro cop fight never happened... that was a waste of life.
RMFG_187
3/18/08 9:38:18PM
the fight that shouldn't have happend IMO is:

Monson vs Silvia
The fight was actually stopped so that the ref could tell them THIS IS A FIGHT>WE NEED MORE ACTION. plus what the hell was Joe Silva thinking when he thought that Monson deserved a Title shot?
Wolf
3/18/08 10:37:02PM
hmmm... an article on the site for the company that runs EliteXC ripping fights in other orgs. Big surprise there.
Pitbull09
3/18/08 11:11:46PM
Hughes/Gracie needed to happen. It validated that MMA has evolved to way higher level than the early UFC days. We just saw the next generation of it with GSP beating Hughes twice. The game is constantly getter more challenging and you will be left in the past if you dont improve everything

Fedor/Choi agreed
Ortiz/Shamrock 3 was pointless. I might be wrong but didnt Tito win all three fights in that feud? How should that be considered a feud? There are way better rivalries in the UFC that could have gone to a thrid fight then that.
Pitbull09
3/18/08 11:16:03PM
Why isnt Lesnar/Mir on here? Everyone expected the 1st round sub

Edit-

To sum things up I think it was a bad decision on the part of the UFC and strictly done for $elfish reasons. They knew this fight was dangerous and they made it happen anyway. I will never forget the look on Royce Gracie's face after he lost. I have never seen someone so dejected in my entire life.

This guy is a complete moron. Do you want us to shed tears for Gracie for losing a fight he accepted? He was laughing after the fight was done and over. Maybe his ego was hurt a bit but come on.
PaleHorse
3/18/08 11:25:25PM

Posted by gartface

Typically when you have an upset situation like in that fight, nobody is really going to regret it happening because the world of MMA learns something new.
Tailgunner
3/18/08 11:39:07PM

Posted by gartface

I will say it......Serra won a split decision against Lytle and basically leapfrogged the entire WW division.

The UFC should be ashamed of themselves for allowing their interest in promoting a reality TV show dictate an entire divisions title situation!

The WW division has basically been put on hold for a full year now with the GSP/Serra/Hughes fiasco and who knows how long this will go on for!
Vietnamese_Guy
3/19/08 12:07:12AM
um, out of 10 years of MMA history, why are most of those fights so recent? i swear there were more unneccessary fights.

Saku vs Cro-Cop?
Yoshida vs like everyone in the HW division
cro-cop vs that pro wrestling can

etc etc
EpicTerran
3/19/08 2:20:24AM
Agree with the list , I dont think anyone can argue , maybe moneywise Otiz/Shamrock 3 and Hughes/Gracie were big winners sure , great , but they were BAD matchups , if anything it shoulda been gracie vs shamrock , bring back old school vs old school thatd be more interesting because it would be a much closer fight , instead they brought back legends of the game into fights they had very little chance , and they got destroyed , kinda makes their legacy not quite as great as it couldve been without really one-sided losses at the end. Saku/wandy was just unnecessary but PRIDE loves to market their japanese fighters obviously because its in Japan , but yet again horrible match-up but it created a lot of hype and money but saku had no chance, PRIDE did it for years , fed their japanese fighters to the sharks in hopes they would come out alive , and very very few have. Fedor/Choi was pointless , dont see how they failed to get him a decent HW like Jeff Monson , Pedro Rizzo , Josh Barnett , etc. Good list , in terms of highly hyped up fights that shouldve never taken place these are pretty good candidates
DonHagliatelli
3/19/08 5:36:42AM
Fedor vs HMC gets a lot of shit but I think that it was that or nothing. It was all done last minute and frankly I'd rather see that fight than no fight.

I can't believe Sak vs Wand III is on this list.

As far as I'm concerned Sak had a front-choke on Wand bear the end of their second fight and Wand slammed his way out breaking Sak's collarbone in the process.

Sak showed that he had the ability to sink in a sub on Wand and was a bit unlucky with the way it went.

CornishMMA
3/19/08 6:36:04AM
Am i the only person who saw how battered Fedors face was after the fight? And the fact he failed 2 takedown attempts with Choi ending up on top of himj? OK he did get the armbar on the 2nd attempt but if he hadnt he could have very easily ended up losing that fight if Choi has better armbar defence, before it everyone was scoffing and thinking it shouldnt happen but i think after the event it shows it was a competative albeit short fight

with all the others tho cos Tito Ken 2 wasnt an early stoppage!
CactusBob
3/19/08 9:19:22AM
Terribly written article, but I agree with what was said.
joshjr
3/19/08 6:50:44PM
sorry but i disagree 75%

If you watched the 2nd fight and then the 3rd how can you not say that the fight should never of happend? Ken did not last long in either fight.