What % of fights end up on the ground?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » What % of fights end up on the ground?
fullerene
2/29/08 8:04:30AM
What do you think the number is for:

A) Professional MMA fights
B) Streetfights

I never bought into the premise that the Gracies set up videocameras around the world, tracked every streetfight, and then calculated the results in Excel. I think this is basically a guessing game, so just give us your guesses. Mine:

A) around 85% will go to the ground at some point; aobut 70% will be finished on the ground

B) around 50% of fights will go to the ground and it would be very rare for it to go back to standing afterwards; this lower number is because many fights are mismatched and one guy simply punches or knocks down a weaker opponent and the fight is over
disturbed_fighter
2/29/08 8:53:33AM
i think more street fights end up on the ground more than an mma fight would
Rush
2/29/08 1:50:24PM
I think Fullene's analysis is about spot on for what I would say.
Kracker_Jap
2/29/08 3:08:01PM
it depends on if a street fight is broke up or not....

If a backyard or bar brawl does'nt get broke up it will at some point go to the ground...

If these fights are broke up by a bouncer or group of friends they will stay stood up and become a pushing match.. Unless you the world famous kimbo Slice which in this case there are rules in place that protect Kimbo
juanez13
2/29/08 3:53:22PM
if you want to know what percentage of MMA fights end up in the ground, check out one of my recent posts,LINK

its a quiz based on where MMA fights end up, tests your knoweledge on mma, although i think its more of a guessing game.but check it out, i think the 3rd question is the one that mentions about where the fight ends up , and if you get it wrong/right it will tell you the percentage, i've got 9/10 lol............................

your % in MMA i'd say is a little to high, and the street i'd say is a little to low, for street fights, considering most people dont really know how to fight, they go on instincts, i'd say about 75% go to the ground, since most fight the stronger guy will clinch, and trip the wekaer opponent on the ground, and pound away till someone separates, i'd say about 15% are in the clinch, same storie, one guy grabs the other (maybe a headlock, or just hold the head with one hand, kinda of a wresteling clinch) than pound away with the other hand, than the other 5% are the actual fights where there is distance between each other, might be off but thats my guess anyways
Svartorm
3/1/08 3:05:57AM
I watch tons of street fights (real aggression, not two guys fighting for the camera), and read articles on this subject, as I'm primarily into self-defense over combat sports as far as my training and instruction goes. From what I've seen, about 90% of real fights hit the ground from a clinch.

The reasons being:

A) The average joe fights squared up to their opponent and throws only hooks. Hooks force both guys to close distance, which eventually turns into a clinch at close range.

B) Its the natural reaction for an untrained person who gets hit in the head, to reach out and grab onto something to steady themselves. That "something" tends to be the person in front of them thats hitting them, and we once again have a clinch.

C) A lot of street fights start with at least one person being enraged, and people in an enraged state, or "condition black" tend to rush their opponent, either with a punch or a tackle. The punch, unless it hits the guy flush and drops him like a sack of potatos, is really going to end up as an entry to a clinch.

D) Alcohol is involved in about three quarters of street fights, so theres the natural unsteadiness that goes along with too much to drink, that will send people toppling into each other and onto the ground.

The top three senarios end up in a clinch, where several things happen, which generally leads to the fight on the ground.

A) Being as neither guy is trained in a clinch, it generally turns into a greco match with two guys locked up and pushing each other into walls, people, cars etc, which trying to hockey fight with close range punches. With neither guy knowing how to move in a clinch, people tend to trip themselves on curbs, chairs, or on each others feet.

B) Some guys naturally go for a sort of twisting takedown, which leads to a ground fight, as the guy getting thrown is naturally going to hang on for dear life.

The only times of seen street fights NOT go the ground are from one or two punch KO's, from a huge size disperity, where the little guy can't physically effect the larger mans mass by grabbing or tackling him, or with skill disperities, where someone just beats the living shit out of the person their fighting.

If anyone is looking to see real street fight footage, the best thing out there are shows like Cops, real tv, Max Ex, and the news. To a lesser extent, "reality shows" like Springer, Cheaters, etc while stupid, are packed with real life fighting between two people, and gives you an idea about how untrained people tend to conduct themselves in a fight.
loonytnt
3/1/08 1:01:37PM
yeah street fights ive seen almost all of them go to the ground
danny81
3/1/08 11:08:25PM
92.3689489378487892227874839879% for A
and 86.4589589678398948% for B
Pitbull09
3/10/08 12:07:21AM
Sreet fights prop all end on the ground usually. I mean, street fights end when the guy winning wants it to end which is once he knocks the guy down and/or out and beats him on the ground
DoTheMMAth
3/11/08 3:20:39PM

Posted by Svartorm

I watch tons of street fights (real aggression, not two guys fighting for the camera), and read articles on this subject, as I'm primarily into self-defense over combat sports as far as my training and instruction goes. From what I've seen, about 90% of real fights hit the ground from a clinch.

The reasons being:

A) The average joe fights squared up to their opponent and throws only hooks. Hooks force both guys to close distance, which eventually turns into a clinch at close range.

B) Its the natural reaction for an untrained person who gets hit in the head, to reach out and grab onto something to steady themselves. That "something" tends to be the person in front of them thats hitting them, and we once again have a clinch.

C) A lot of street fights start with at least one person being enraged, and people in an enraged state, or "condition black" tend to rush their opponent, either with a punch or a tackle. The punch, unless it hits the guy flush and drops him like a sack of potatos, is really going to end up as an entry to a clinch.

D) Alcohol is involved in about three quarters of street fights, so theres the natural unsteadiness that goes along with too much to drink, that will send people toppling into each other and onto the ground.

The top three senarios end up in a clinch, where several things happen, which generally leads to the fight on the ground.

A) Being as neither guy is trained in a clinch, it generally turns into a greco match with two guys locked up and pushing each other into walls, people, cars etc, which trying to hockey fight with close range punches. With neither guy knowing how to move in a clinch, people tend to trip themselves on curbs, chairs, or on each others feet.

B) Some guys naturally go for a sort of twisting takedown, which leads to a ground fight, as the guy getting thrown is naturally going to hang on for dear life.

The only times of seen street fights NOT go the ground are from one or two punch KO's, from a huge size disperity, where the little guy can't physically effect the larger mans mass by grabbing or tackling him, or with skill disperities, where someone just beats the living shit out of the person their fighting.

If anyone is looking to see real street fight footage, the best thing out there are shows like Cops, real tv, Max Ex, and the news. To a lesser extent, "reality shows" like Springer, Cheaters, etc while stupid, are packed with real life fighting between two people, and gives you an idea about how untrained people tend to conduct themselves in a fight.

Awesome evaluation, too bad I have to spread the love before I props you more
The-Don
5/15/08 12:03:29PM
Not counting kickboxing and boxing were your not allowed on the ground I always heard it was around 80% of all fights end up on the ground.. Even in MMA the majority of fights go to the ground at some point.. Difference being there is that there is a ref to stand it up again if nothing is happening... and 2 these guys in most cases are highly trained and know how to get back to thier feet or even want it to be on the ground in the first place... but yea I think in both cases the majority of fights end up on the ground... as for bar fights and such I think the above analysis is right on I used to bounce in a bar and most fights were seperating the people from each other on the floor.
Tizzy
11/21/08 9:22:22PM
13 years ago I was told that we trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because 90% of all fights go to the ground and less than 10% of the people on the planet knows how to defend themselves on the ground. We would have the upper hand and take the fight directly to the ground.

In that 13 years I was a bouncer for 8 and from my experience in street fights 95-100% of the fights hit the ground in some way (whether it be one or both fighters).

Even in MMA the fight most often goes to the ground at some point.
The-Don
11/23/08 7:37:48PM
its funny this thread was revived.. at our juijitsu Seminar yesterday we had alot of Muay Thai people there and this subject came up and most agreed that about 80% of fights seem to end up onthe ground and alot of the reasons that were brought up to as why were all mentioned above..
CHH
12/6/08 6:11:43PM
A) 100%

B) 135%