Top 5 Fights of 2004

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Top 5 Fights of 2004
POLL: What was your favourite fight from the list?
Wanderlei vs. Rampage 2 30% (7)
Wanderlei vs. Mark Hunt 22% (5)
Matt Hughes vs. St. Pierre 1 4% (1)
Fedor vs. Minotauro 3 9% (2)
Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz 1 35% (8)
MMA_Central
7/22/07 12:42:55AM
The year was 2004. The world of Mixed Martial Arts was just around the corner from mainstream popularity,Wanderlei Silva was the most feared fighter on the planet, a very young Georges St. Pierre would start the year as a unknown and finish it as the 'next big thing', Pride FC was holding a Heavyweight GP with Mirko 'CroCop' and 'Minotauro' Nogueira having their eyes fixed on Fedor Emelianenko's head, The Ultimate Fighter program was non-existent, the UFC were to scrap their lightweight division, the year would end in breathtaking fashion at Pride's annual Shockwave event, and the fights? Well they were simply spectacular.

Top 5 Fights List:
Top 5 Fights of '04

What do you think?
What was your favorite fight from 2004?
hippysmacker
7/22/07 3:10:36AM
Chuck / Tito 1 for me, because it was a long time coming. Almost as bad as Chuck/Wandy for anticipation in my book.
Mastodon2
7/22/07 9:13:23AM
Mark Hunt / Wanderlei, that was an absolute War, props to Wanderlei for not giving up, Hunt was really punishing him!
casey64
7/22/07 8:39:29PM
Chuck.vstito.
AmericanFighterAce
7/22/07 9:04:24PM
Didn't Mark Hunt take that fight on very very very short notice?
I actually just bought that PPV on DVD just a couple of days ago, because I am now just getting into more Pride than I used to and man that was heck of a match.
MMA_Central
7/23/07 12:53:37AM

Posted by AmericanFighterAce

I actually just bought that PPV on DVD just a couple of days ago, because I am now just getting into more Pride than I used to and man that was heck of a match.

Yeah, I read somewhere that both fighters agreed to fight each other on 3 days notice.
madmarck
7/23/07 1:27:19AM
Wand Page. Was just awesome to watch. I think Tito/chuck is #2 for sure.
I dont think GSP/Hughes was big fight. The only really huge name GSP had beat was KAro to that date. I think it was that loss that made GSP the beast he is now.
MMA_Central
7/23/07 7:17:49AM

Posted by madmarck

Wand Page. Was just awesome to watch. I think Tito/chuck is #2 for sure.
I dont think GSP/Hughes was big fight. The only really huge name GSP had beat was KAro to that date. I think it was that loss that made GSP the beast he is now.

GSP vs. Hughes 1 because it was a action packed round that went back and forth, with a surprise ending. Yeah I thought you could almost see maturity growing in GSP during and right after that fight. The fact that GSP wasn't a huge name at that point and was able to take it right up to the greatest Welterweight ever (in his prime) just added more to the fight in my opinion.
Mastodon2
7/23/07 11:12:30AM

Posted by MMA_Central

Posted by AmericanFighterAce

Yeah, I read somewhere that both fighters agreed to fight each other on 3 days notice.

Wanderlei had been training for another opponent, but the guy dropped out on injury or something, Hunt was brought in at the last minute to fight. For someone who, at that point, had almost no experience of fighting on the ground and MMA rules, Hunt did exceptionally well!