After "fighting two people," Roy Nelson seeks rematch with Arlovski

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » After "fighting two people," Roy Nelson seeks rematch with Arlovski
MMAcca
10/12/08 4:29:54PM
While it may not have been the most aesthetically pleasing strategy, the ground-based strategy implemented by Roy Nelson (13-3) against former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski (14-5) at "EliteXC: Heat" was undeniably effective.

But after a much-discussed stand-up from the match referee -- while Nelson was working for a possible fight-ending kimura -- Nelson abandoned the strategy. Arlovski then used his quickness and athleticism to score crushing blows on the feet en route to a second-round TKO win.

Realizing the mistake his frustration caused, Nelson recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he wants a second chance.

LINK
Porch28
10/12/08 4:32:24PM
Go on a diet then fight AA again
nickcuc547
10/12/08 5:11:58PM
he must forget he got ko'd
bojangalz
10/12/08 5:49:59PM
I think Nelson would make a great champion in one of the smaller promotions. He's actually marketable as the "everyman" champion. And he's def. got the skills to hang with the best in a Strikeforce/Elite XC size promotion.

He could actually be a mid range player in the UFC's HW division too. But I don't see him ever maximizing his potential into a major promotional belt.
sparky
10/12/08 6:42:54PM
Roy Nelson is a talented fighter , but in a rematch with Arlovski I dont think he has what it takes to win. Hell to be completely honest I dont think Roy Nelson will ever beable to beat Andrei Arlovski.
Branwest
10/12/08 8:31:17PM
Please Affliction, don't waste my time w/ever scheduling this rematch. I'd rather see other fights: After Fedor/AA, then maybe Barnett/AA (if it isn't Barnett/Fedor first). How about Nelson vs. Big Tim. Sylvia already beat Ben Rothwell, but I think Nelson has a good shot w/Tim. Although I'd be more interested if this one would be a stand-up war because both would throw some big shots. Though Tim would have a serious reach advantage, so Nelson's strategy would probably be to take him down.
Porch28
10/12/08 8:38:48PM

Posted by bojangalz

I think Nelson would make a great champion in one of the smaller promotions. He's actually marketable as the "everyman" champion. And he's def. got the skills to hang with the best in a Strikeforce/Elite XC size promotion.

He could actually be a mid range player in the UFC's HW division too. But I don't see him ever maximizing his potential into a major promotional belt.

that would be a VERY big belt
saemskin
10/12/08 9:26:02PM
I would absolutely LOVE to see any combination of Arlovski/Barnett/Fedor on the upcoming cards.
Twenty20Dollars
10/12/08 11:17:47PM
Yeah Nelson should face Sylvia but I dont think there should be a rematch with Arlovski untill he is committed to his conditioning.
gartface
10/13/08 12:05:02AM

Posted by Porch28

How is this relevant? He's said in interviews he can't lose the flab, he's still a good athlete, and showed that against AA. Cut the guy some slack.
mach
10/13/08 1:19:16AM

Posted by bojangalz

He'd probably be around the top 5 in the UFC HW division honestly, HW is absolutely awful. Nog, Couture of he's still around, Werdum, Gonzaga, I guess Mir? Cain looks awesome but is a bit untested and Herring is just...I dont even know. He could probably sub Kongo. I still don't put much weight into Lesnar at this point personally, but that's just me. I think Big Country could hang in the UFC HW division.

Though I suppose saying someone could hang in a shitty division isn't much of a compliment is it.
Aether
10/13/08 1:26:42AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Porch28

How is this relevant? He's said in interviews he can't lose the flab, he's still a good athlete, and showed that against AA. Cut the guy some slack.

Well to be fair he CAN lose it, what he actually said is "I like food and I don't want to change my lifestyle." Anyone who is that overweight definitely can lose weight unless they have some sort of glandular disorder. Sure he would have some excess skin and would look a little flabby, but he definitely has too much fat on his body.

I don't say that from a "oh you're a fat slob" point of view, but he would definitely benefit from losing some of that weight. It would make him quicker and more agile and I agree that it's something that needs to happen if he ever wants to move up the ladder. There's only so much an athlete can get out of a body like that, and it's disappointing because he actually is a very talented fighter. He has the tools but he's keeping them in a sub-par toolbox if you get my meaning.
MMAcca
10/13/08 1:26:54AM
I like the sound of Nelson vs Sylvia for an upcoming Affliction card.
WrestlersAssassin
10/13/08 1:34:45AM
So because it got stood up prematurly that would have changed the outcome of the fight? that would have stopped you from being KO'd? Sorry Roy, its ok to be confident in a loss but AA is on another level than you are and that kimura was in vain. Roy wouldnt do that well in the UFC, Werdum, Nog, Couture, Gonzaga, Kongo, Brock, Cain (and probably Arlovski, Sylvia and Cro Cop will come back at some point) would all likely beat him based on conditioning and style.
mach
10/13/08 1:55:55AM

Posted by WrestlersAssassin

So because it got stood up prematurly that would have changed the outcome of the fight? that would have stopped you from being KO'd? Sorry Roy, its ok to be confident in a loss but AA is on another level than you are and that kimura was in vain. Roy wouldnt do that well in the UFC, Werdum, Nog, Couture, Gonzaga, Kongo, Brock, Cain (and probably Arlovski, Sylvia and Cro Cop will come back at some point) would all likely beat him based on conditioning and style.

Umm...Yes, because it got stood up prematurely it's very possible it could have changed the outcome of the fight. Standing someone up while they are actively working for a sub is ridiculous. I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know who would have won and it's very possible that AA would have still KOd Nelson, but standing them up early sure didn't do Nelson any favors. As it was he was working his way to a fat ugly decision, but a decision all the same.

Shoot I even picked AA to win by KO too
jgtribbett
10/13/08 10:49:39AM
elite xc is shady as hell, i say givem a rematch
mkiv9secsupra
10/13/08 10:58:44AM
When you fail 3 submission attempts and land only a few punches then there is no reason to keep the fight on the floor. H had more success standing than he did grappling. So Roy. If you can beat someone that matters then you might get a rematch one day, but until that happens there is no reason for to to get KO'd again.
gartface
10/13/08 11:04:07AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

When you fail 3 submission attempts and land only a few punches then there is no reason to keep the fight on the floor. H had more success standing than he did grappling. So Roy. If you can beat someone that matters then you might get a rematch one day, but until that happens there is no reason for to to get KO'd again.

Who cares if he fails submissions? He was in a very dominant position. Side control, mount, and north/south should never be stood up...period.
MaxOne
10/13/08 12:25:01PM

Posted by mach

Umm...Yes, because it got stood up prematurely it's very possible it could have changed the outcome of the fight. Standing someone up while they are actively working for a sub is ridiculous. I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know who would have won and it's very possible that AA would have still KOd Nelson, but standing them up early sure didn't do Nelson any favors. As it was he was working his way to a fat ugly decision, but a decision all the same.

Good lookin' out!

Roy on top could have won for sure. He's very good from the top. Would he have won? no idea but he the fight shouldn't have been stood up.
WrestlersAssassin
10/13/08 3:30:11PM

Posted by mach

Pick your arguments better because Roy wasnt doing anything to Andrei on the ground nor would he have gotten that kimura.
Rush
10/13/08 3:41:57PM

Posted by gartface

Who cares if he fails submissions? He was in a very dominant position. Side control, mount, and north/south should never be stood up...period.

If you are not active, it shouldn't matter what position you are in. I haven't re-watched the fight, but I was never 100% convinced (when I watched it) that Roy had Arlovski in any danger, nor was Roy active on top.

I hate to say it, but heavyweights are notorious for resting either on the cage or on the ground. This is not a wrestling or judo match. Just holding a guy down (regardless) of the position and not being active is no different then dancing around the cage avoiding all shots and takedowns without mounting any offense, when there is an opportunity to do so. It's a form of stalling and HW's are the most notorious fighters for doing so.

Again, I am not saying that Roy was stalling. I'll have to watch the fight again to confirm my initial assessment, but I wasn't convinced he was trying anything either.

If I am not mistaken, didn't GSP get a warning about being stood up when I was trying to put the kimura on Koscheck, which Josh was defending by grabbing his own shorts?
artofdefense
10/13/08 4:36:14PM
AA was about 3 inches from getting stuck in that kimura. All the people who say it was obviously not going to work either don't grapple or are grossly overestimating the effectiveness of the grab my lag and pray defense.
EliasG
10/13/08 5:37:07PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

agreed.
Porch28
10/13/08 6:19:16PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Porch28

How is it not relevant?
EliasG
10/14/08 10:43:49AM
it's not relevant if it doesn't negatively affect him cardiovascularly. I think he could be better but oneof the best 'cardio machines' I've watched was Rulon Gardner. He didn't look like a male model.