How can i get in to fighting shape??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » How can i get in to fighting shape??
Next Page »
Wizfit
8/2/07 10:55:19AM
How can i get in to fighting shape and i weight about 305 and my trainer said if i ever wont to fight in the Welterweight class i have to way about 200-195 in walking weight. what work plan can you make up to get in shape in 3 years???

Thank you
Twenty20Dollars
8/2/07 10:58:07AM
badger milk
postman
8/2/07 11:20:14AM
run
waylon_o
8/2/07 11:43:35AM
If you walk at 195-200 and can cut to 170, you're the man
Mastodon2
8/2/07 11:55:58AM
I assume you meant to type 205 and not "305", if you weigh 305lbs I wouldnt advise you ever try to fight at WW!

If you are 205 and only want to get to Welterweight, a diet overhaul and a bit of running will help you lose the weight, skipping is an ac cardio workout too, plus it improves co-ordination and balance, essential for good footwork as a fighter!

But I think the issue here is what weight you should be fighting at, if you are 205lbs, and you cut to 195-200ish I'd say you'd be better off fighting at 185lbs (middleweight), but even then, it would be best to cut as close to 185 as you can, then start doing weights to go back up in weight a little, but dont go wild with weights! A Fighter needs strength, but you can become strong without having gargantuan muscles, that make you needlessly heavier and can limit your flexability. I think for MW it would be good to cut to about 185, then go back to about 200lbs by lifting weights and taking protein supplements.

If you were going to fight at WW I'd reccomend cutting to about 175 (which could be a considerable amount considering you weigh 205 now, 30lbs is some weight!) and then lifting to get a bit more muscle mass, until you were at a max, 184lbs walking weight. For inexperienced weight cutters though, 14lbs is still a pretty intense cut, thats a whole stone of water.

Hope I've been of some help, and havnt just created a dilemma for you!
postman
8/2/07 5:37:30PM

Posted by Mastodon2

I assume you meant to type 205 and not "305", if you weigh 305lbs I wouldnt advise you ever try to fight at WW!

If you are 205 and only want to get to Welterweight, a diet overhaul and a bit of running will help you lose the weight, skipping is an ac cardio workout too, plus it improves co-ordination and balance, essential for good footwork as a fighter!

But I think the issue here is what weight you should be fighting at, if you are 205lbs, and you cut to 195-200ish I'd say you'd be better off fighting at 185lbs (middleweight), but even then, it would be best to cut as close to 185 as you can, then start doing weights to go back up in weight a little, but dont go wild with weights! A Fighter needs strength, but you can become strong without having gargantuan muscles, that make you needlessly heavier and can limit your flexability. I think for MW it would be good to cut to about 185, then go back to about 200lbs by lifting weights and taking protein supplements.

If you were going to fight at WW I'd reccomend cutting to about 175 (which could be a considerable amount considering you weigh 205 now, 30lbs is some weight!) and then lifting to get a bit more muscle mass, until you were at a max, 184lbs walking weight. For inexperienced weight cutters though, 14lbs is still a pretty intense cut, thats a whole stone of water.

Why not? Joe Rigss was 300 + and now fights ww
fedorwins1
8/2/07 6:32:49PM
You have to work HARD, very HARD. Run like crazy and train train train. Just keep doing that and see where you're at in a couple of years.
bayonetxwork
8/2/07 7:26:25PM

Posted by postman
why not? Joe Rigss was 300 + and now fights ww

Joe Riggs is a complete animal in the gym. That alone goes to show you the level of athleticism hes reached. It is so extremely hard to cut that amount of weight safely. I wouldn't recommend it, basically because I don't see a reason to do so. But if you really want to, I'd definitely see a licensed nutritionist before going ahead with any of the plans people will try to provide you with. See a nutritionist, and in the meantime, eat healthy, do cardio like no other, and weight train so you don't lose the muscle you currently have. Check out www.bodybuilding.com, they have tons of information on nutrition, weight training, supplements, etc.

Good luck
Ultimate_fighter
8/3/07 5:54:03PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by postman

Joe Riggs is a complete animal in the gym.

Josh Haynes was 320 lbs, now he is 170.. and i dont think he is an animal in the gym...
bayonetxwork
8/3/07 6:11:32PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by postman

Joe Riggs is a complete animal in the gym.

Josh Haynes was 320 lbs, now he is 170.. and i dont think he is an animal in the gym...

Your right, and you can tell because he still has all that extra skin.
Wizfit
8/5/07 11:46:00PM
First let me say thank you for all your support and if any one as any more info on help me become a fighter then please say something. Also my weight was 305 now its 298 and i will keep you all that are in to this i will updated when i lose weight. Thank you and keep writing

PS all of those people that dont believe i can do this then wait and see
MattHughes
8/6/07 12:05:08AM

Posted by Wizfit

First let me say thank you for all your support and if any one as any more info on help me become a fighter then please say something. Also my weight was 305 now its 298 and i will keep you all that are in to this i will updated when i lose weight. Thank you and keep writing

Losing weight is all about diet, that is the single most important thing. Than comes excercise. Get on a good diet and stick with it, push yourself in the gym or at home and you will see the pounds fly off. I recommend the Nutrisystem if you have the money to afford it.
bayonetxwork
8/6/07 12:36:07AM

Posted by Wizfit

Good luck, keep it up Just remember, your shooting for a substantial change in mass index, so don't rush it, take your time, and you'll continue to progress. Aim to lose about 1-3 pounds a week. Oh and diet, diet, and diet. Keep us all posted.
chickmagnet
8/7/07 5:25:02PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Joe Riggs did it, he was 300 lbs. and he eventually made it to 170lbs.
tommyprairie
8/8/07 12:59:14PM
Switch to 5 small meals per day.
Stay away from supplements that boost metabolism.
Run in the morning to boost metabolism.
Work out twice per day.
Avoid splurging.
High rep lifting for a while then go to lower reps.
Constantly change workout to shock system and avoid stagnation
Moix in long runs and long interval training
Wizfit
8/8/07 3:35:26PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by Mastodon2

How long do you think i should run and workout for if i am training 2 times a day???
jomatty
8/12/07 11:21:54PM
good info im trying to get down to 180 from 220 and this info is great.
dP
8/26/07 7:53:39AM
Do a search on the following
Rapid weight loss "the Velocity Diet" will have you seeing amazing results....If you have a fight coming up I would suggestt doing it up until a week before the fight

"the anabolic diet" and "t-dawg2.0" are great for putting on quality masss.....assuming that you're following a good program that is
jdubs
8/26/07 3:16:34PM

Posted by Mastodon2

joe riggs pulled it off ..from 300+ and worked his way down
Omega
8/26/07 11:06:55PM

Posted by tommyprairie

Switch to 5 small meals per day.
Stay away from supplements that boost metabolism.
Run in the morning to boost metabolism.
Work out twice per day.
Avoid splurging.
High rep lifting for a while then go to lower reps.
Constantly change workout to shock system and avoid stagnation
Moix in long runs and long interval training

Best advice given on this thread so far.
Omega
8/26/07 11:11:01PM

Posted by Wizfit

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by Mastodon2

How long do you think i should run and workout for if i am training 2 times a day???

For weight loss you want to run about 3-5 miles per day without passing 1 hour. Keep hydrated at all times. Protein is a must and I would also implement a high impact kickboxing/boxing workout with that. The idea is to lose weight without losing muscle or strength. When approaching target weight then you can start implenting other types of work out. I would also suggest plyometrics 3x week.
Wizfit
9/5/07 3:00:26PM
Ok thank you all for helping me.
Update is i am 294 now just to let you all know.
god bless and I'll keep you update as soon as i can

i have been slacking with my training because of school but when i get use to it i think i can do a lot better
Vendetta
9/5/07 8:09:37PM
Train.

That's it, simple.

I went from 220 lbs to 190 lbs training BJJ only 2-3 times per week for 6 months. I wasn't eating totally clean, but I cut out fast food and that type of crap.
Wizfit
10/18/07 7:47:32PM
Right now peolpe i am sorry for not updating this sooner i have ben working and school. But i weight in to night at 256 pounds so from like 305 to 256 in like 37 week is great. but if you have any new info send it. Thank you and God bless
Jackelope
10/18/07 7:57:02PM
Wow, good job man. The fact that you've lost it over that amount of time tells me that it's good weight loss. Keep it up!
Chec22
10/19/07 10:13:10AM
Way to go man! Use that progress to keep up the motivation!
Vendetta
10/20/07 5:30:37PM
Stop posting on internet message forums and go train. ;)
malekomaddox
10/21/07 9:09:00AM
Workout and eat alot of good food. It's easier said than done.
TheHitmanTL
10/21/07 4:28:12PM
theres a little diet pill called ephedra i suggest u get some but dont abuse it
brucelee82
10/29/07 10:10:54AM
I had a friend recently drop from 260 ish to 170lbs.
First things he changed was no soda/beer. He drank quite a bit of beer.
He did HIIT training in the morining (High Intensity Intervel Training).
Then an hour + of weight training later in the day.
He also ended up on a strict low carb diet.

He ended up gaining most of the weight right back when he stopped training.
Pages: [1] 2