Fighters Not Tapping

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fighters Not Tapping
timothyera
12/10/11 3:35:49PM
The dictionary defines submission as the acknowledgement of the legitimacy of the power of one's superior or superiors. Anyone else think that when a fighter refuses to tap out or give up the result should be considered a TKO? What I mean is they did not "submit" to their opponent, they did not give up. They did not "acknowledge" that the other fighter is better, even though that is the case. I know a TKO is a technical "knock out", but I was watching 300 the other day and when King Leonidas says "submission, now thats a bit of a problem", it got me thinking. I would not want the record to show that I submitted to another person when I only passed out. I know this will never change but does anyone else feel the same way?
grappler0000
12/10/11 3:41:49PM
If it's recorded properly, it should say technical submission.
timothyera
12/10/11 4:55:06PM
Yeah your right that makes sense. Guess that slipped my mind. I remember Tom Lawlor not tapping out in his last fight and it does say technical submission on his record at sherdog. Thanks!
kopower
12/10/11 11:42:54PM
Perfect topic for tonights bone breaking result.
Geoffo
12/11/11 12:08:25AM

Posted by timothyera

The dictionary defines submission as the acknowledgement of the legitimacy of the power of one's superior or superiors. Anyone else think that when a fighter refuses to tap out or give up the result should be considered a TKO? What I mean is they did not "submit" to their opponent, they did not give up. They did not "acknowledge" that the other fighter is better, even though that is the case. I know a TKO is a technical "knock out", but I was watching 300 the other day and when King Leonidas says "submission, now thats a bit of a problem", it got me thinking. I would not want the record to show that I submitted to another person when I only passed out. I know this will never change but does anyone else feel the same way?

If someone cares about whats written on paper enough to be bothered by it, chances are the fighter isn't focused or a good fighter anyways.
bjj1605
12/11/11 2:33:40AM
Technically you might have a point.

But in MMA, a "submission" is a particular hold. Its simply better for recording keeping purposes because it shows if it was a "submission HOLD" or if it was due to strikes. Regardless of whether or not they tap.
poppa_gump
12/12/11 4:37:14PM
I fully agree that it should be known as a (tech) submission so that when guys like Joe Rogan mention their records that it is know as that and not a TKO.