Are their any fighters that smoke or chew/dip?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Are their any fighters that smoke or chew/dip?
mrsmiley
9/26/11 3:54:44PM

With all the health hazards aside I was thinking about this earlier.
Are their any high profile fighters that actually use tobbaco products?
I could of sworn I once herd that Carwin dipped but it could have just been a rumor.
prophecy033
9/26/11 4:10:07PM
I'm not sure if any do but I chew
grappler0000
9/26/11 4:31:23PM
I don't know if Rampage still smokes or not, but I know he did.

Edit: not exactly high profile, but Matt Brown was dipping on TUF. I'm sure there are plenty of fighters that actually dip to cut weight.
Poor_Franklin
9/26/11 4:39:39PM

Posted by grappler0000
I'm sure there are plenty of fighters that actually dip to cut weight.

this is new to me. explain further please...
Twenty20Dollars
9/26/11 4:40:48PM
I'm guessing there are quite a few or just a few.

Wouldn't be smart of them too if they do. You're already disadvantaging yourself before the fight starts.
grappler0000
9/26/11 4:44:01PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by grappler0000

Spitting to assist in the shedding of water. Personally, I'd rather push through a few extra miles on the treadmill, but people do it.
armbar66j7
9/26/11 5:01:14PM
maybe pat barry smokes, cuz his cardio is horrible haha
prophecy033
9/26/11 5:27:38PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Wouldn't be smart of them too if they do. You're already disadvantaging yourself before the fight starts.

from chewing or smoking? I'm assuming your talking about smoking because being someone who chews, it doesn't take away anything but your gums and maybe some of your life
mrsmiley
9/26/11 5:35:00PM

Posted by prophecy033

from chewing or smoking? I'm assuming your talking about smoking because being someone who chews, it doesn't take away anything but your gums and maybe some of your life

What you chewin?
Personally I prefer Redman Select but I find it hard to come by in my area.
prophecy033
9/26/11 5:39:57PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by prophecy033

What you chewin?

the first thing I chewed was beachnut, then went to kodiak, then Grizzly, and now since I'm trying to quiet it grizzly wintergreen pouches. I have to say I like them. Shit doesn't get in your teeth
shaneTpain
9/26/11 5:40:35PM
Cody Mckenzie & Ryan Macgillivray chewed on their seasons of TUF. Also I remember that red haired jersey dude smoking on TUF, but you saw how far that got him.
Poor_Franklin
9/26/11 6:32:30PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by grappler0000

Spitting to assist in the shedding of water. Personally, I'd rather push through a few extra miles on the treadmill, but people do it.

learn something new every day. THANKS!
mrsmiley
9/26/11 6:43:11PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by prophecy033

What you chewin?

the first thing I chewed was beachnut, then went to kodiak, then Grizzly, and now since I'm trying to quiet it grizzly wintergreen pouches. I have to say I like them. Shit doesn't get in your teeth

I've herd nothing but good things about the Grizzly wintergreen pouch.
I'm too stuck on Camel Frost to give something else a try though.
I use them at work all the time.
PABLOMAFIOSO
9/26/11 6:52:03PM
The only high profile fighter I know who smokes/used to is Rampage. My friend saw him at a UK show (spectating) between fights when he went outside to smoke and ended up meeting him. He may have just been doing it socially whilst having a few beers though.
Chael_Sonnen
9/26/11 7:09:19PM
I usually see Lindland with a big chaw in his lip when cornering fights

Grizzly Wintergreen =
kopower
9/26/11 7:16:38PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

The only high profile fighter I know who smokes/used to is Rampage. My friend saw him at a UK show (spectating) between fights when he went outside to smoke and ended up meeting him. He may have just been doing it socially whilst having a few beers though.

Rampage was smoking and drinking when the UFC was in Minneapolis. Bruce Buffer looked like the sun smoked his ass. Dude was another shade of tan.
ncordless
9/26/11 7:32:09PM
People used to say that Sakuraba was a pack a day smoker, but I don't know if that's true.
Chael_Sonnen
9/26/11 8:46:06PM

Posted by ncordless

People used to say that Sakuraba was a pack a day smoker, but I don't know if that's true.

I wonder if it impeded his performance any
DeadHead988
9/26/11 9:29:27PM
I know a few high-profile fighters who smoke weed, but none who smoke tobacco other than that Jeff Lentz guy from tuf. You simply can't smoke cigs and compete at the highest level, it just doesn't work. Also, I'm pretty sure "titties" from tuf chewed.
DeadHead988
9/26/11 9:32:48PM

Posted by ncordless

I find that very hard to believe

Edit: just looked it up and Saku was a very regular smoker who would only quit two weeks before a fight and allegedly smoked before his entrance against Rampage. Also, Rampage and Kimbo Slice are smokers.
prophecy033
9/26/11 10:37:57PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Grizzly Wintergreen =

I saw him at the Fred Meyer in Sandy and he couldn't shut his lip it was packed so tight
Chael_Sonnen
9/27/11 1:54:08AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Grizzly Wintergreen =

I saw him at the Fred Meyer in Sandy and he couldn't shut his lip it was packed so tight

mrsmiley
9/27/11 5:29:43AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by ncordless

I find that very hard to believe

Edit: just looked it up and Saku was a very regular smoker who would only quit two weeks before a fight and allegedly smoked before his entrance against Rampage. Also, Rampage and Kimbo Slice are smokers.

Crap I forgot about that!
I remember my brother saying somethinga long time ago about some Japanese tabloids posting pictures of him in a bar or something along those lines.
emfleek
9/27/11 8:43:10AM
I'm almost positive I've seen Matt Hughes chewing at some point.
TeamDEY
9/27/11 8:49:14AM
I know Lesnar will put a chew in when he goes hunting,
Hendo67
9/27/11 11:35:13AM
No one messes with Matt Browns dip, no one!
prophecy033
9/27/11 11:38:18AM

Posted by Hendo67

No one messes with Matt Browns dip, no one!

you don't think so? Check out Matt Lindland's some time