Fighters that have Reinvented themselves

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fighters that have Reinvented themselves
hotrodttt
2/17/09 2:46:48AM
It's been a while since I started a Thread and I don't start them unless a lightbulb hits me or I have a Great Idea, so give me your thoughts on who has been really appealing and a very different Fighter than they used to be.

Nate Marquardt- When I was watching him in some of the UFC Fight Nights Years ago, he came across as a very boring Fighter but now in his last couple of Fights, he's been turning it up by tearing up and Submitting Jeremy Horn and dominating Thales Leites with Great Punches and Takedowns. Especially the tombstone at the end

Kenny Florian- Coming of the Ultimate Fighter I reall had no hope for this guy but he's really been stepping it up, and after that time spent in Thailand, he really became a different Fighter, he is now Dangerous and Dynamic on the Feet as well and being a constant threat on the Ground.

Josh Kosheck- I always used to think of him as a Lay and Pray type of Fighter but now his hands are coming thourhg with Fantastic results, He holds one of the most devasating KO's I've ever seen against Yoshida, and he dropped Hazzelet with a Head Kick. He'll continue to rise

Frank Mir- Frank Mir was the original Young Guy who was always dangerous on the Ground, can you imagine him with Stand Up Skills? Well now he has them using Kicks to complement his punches and he KO'd a Pan American Boxing Champion in Big Nog.

Alistair Overeem- I didn't think too highly of him at LHW but he;s been the Big Bully at HW impressing a lot of people including me and he also has been racking up a lot of impressive Wins and even KO'd former K-1 HW Champion Badr Hari.

jiujitsufreak74
2/17/09 3:31:55AM
Marcus Davis- came into this sport as just a boxer. it was easy to beat him; take him to the ground. but he has worked so diligently at developing well rounded skills and now boasts some legitimate grappling skills. just see his fight with Paul Taylor and Paul Kelly.

mentalcase
2/17/09 3:50:52AM
Rashad Evans

Jorge Santiago

Gegard Mousasi
Pookie
2/17/09 4:16:23AM
Vitor Belfort
haggiswashere
2/17/09 5:28:12AM
Houston Alexander. He will come back and go 45-0 with 44 submissions and 1 win by completely rip off his opponents limbs in a crazy execution multiple submissions at once. He will even be jj freaks new favorite fighter.
haggiswashere
2/17/09 5:31:15AM
in all honesty probably Chuck Liddell back in the day, he needs to do it again but still. He kept getting beat on the ground so switched his game around to prevent the takedowns and became a dominate champ.

fullerene
2/17/09 8:26:12AM
Randy Couture is the first name that comes to mind and I think he's done it 3x. After getting subbed several times as a traditional GnP wrestler he came back with a more well-rounded game and took the HW crown. After retriing because supposedly he was too old and too small to fight the modern HWs he came back and took the LHW title beating two great fighters in Liddell and Ortiz. After losing to Liddell 2x and being written off as too old again he went up in weight and beat two huge HWs during his brief stint as UFC champ.

Dan Henderson went from a GnP guy to a guy who keeps the fight standing and tries to KO people with full-power punches, particularly an overhand right.

Forrest Griffin went from a face-first brawler to a technical, stick-and-move boxer which, with his long arms and tall frame, makes him much more effective.

Matt Hughes went from a top control GnP guy to a top control submission guy

The list is actually pretty long and I'm noticing the most common scenario is for very good wrestlers to come in and adapt their style once they find out they are good at some other aspect of MMA.
Boo_Radley21
2/17/09 10:58:24AM
Definitetly Forrest, Koscheck.
MMAcca
2/18/09 1:37:47AM
Rashad Evans - On TUF he was just a good wrestler, but now every aspect of his game has improved and all of his hard work at Jackson's is coming into fruition with some recent big KO victories.
lll-lll
2/18/09 2:23:34AM
I don't think anyone reinvented himself like GSP. The guy went from a jack of all trades to wrestling superstar. Others who reinvented themselves IMO:Rashad Evans, Anderson Silva, Mike Brown, and Josh Koscheck. Guys who need to reinvent themselves: Shogun, Karo, Franklin, and Clay Guida.
copcopps
2/18/09 9:49:40AM
Marquardt, Evans and Mir
Nitrus
2/18/09 11:53:30AM
Big Nog wasnt Pan American Boxing champion, his brother is!

Not champion, but a contestant

--------

Back to the topic, I think Kos was the fighter that more evolved in past years, in my opinion he's the Sean Sherk of WW division, amazing wrestler, but don't have the talent that BJ,GSP and these guy has. Both got heart and both give the best of them, I'm a Kos fan

Mir is also a fighter that must be recognized
hotrodttt
5/8/09 9:29:07PM

Posted by Nitrus

Big Nog wasnt Pan American Boxing champion, his brother is!

Not champion, but a contestant

--------

Back to the topic, I think Kos was the fighter that more evolved in past years, in my opinion he's the Sean Sherk of WW division, amazing wrestler, but don't have the talent that BJ,GSP and these guy has. Both got heart and both give the best of them, I'm a Kos fan

Mir is also a fighter that must be recognized

I always used tp get them mixed up but now it's easier to remember because Little Nog is now entering his preime and Big Nog is exiting his
NatedawgThaM
5/8/09 10:16:00PM
Great names already mentioned.

Sean Sherk? He use to be just a wrestler but he's showing some pretty good hands.

Diego Sanchez, he use to just love having great ground wars with people but now he has some pretty good striking too make 4 some great exciting all around fights!

Alan Belcher? He's been on a streak, I mean I think he use to just be a great stand up dude but he's shown some submissions even though I still think hes about to get destroyed.

Matt Hamil, use to just be a wrestler, now he's punishing people on the feet, crazy head kick KO last time out! Watching that dude knee his own face was crazy!
king_katool
5/8/09 10:16:49PM
Matt Hammil- his striking has really been coming around his last few fights, not really reinventing himself just more of his game becoming more all around

EDIT: Nate beat me to hammil by 46 secs
chickmagnet
5/12/09 10:54:21PM
GSP - after Serra defeat
Rashad Evans - He looked like a completely different fighter against Chuck, since he had fought Bisping.
Josh Koscheck
Diego Sanchez
Kenny Florian
Randy Couture
Frank Mir
Cheick Kongo
Nate Marquardt
Thiago Alves - He also gained like 50 pounds of muscle haha, total beast!!!
Marcus Davis
Forrest Griffin - Back watching his old fights with Bonnar, and Sinosic, watching him now is crazy, even though he lost he looked great against Rashad, against Rampage he had his best performance.