Fighters Ready for Dream

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fighters Ready for Dream
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/10/08 6:21:25PM
May 10, 2008
by Stephen Martinez (smartinez@sherdog.com)

TOKYO -- Several thousand fans will pack the Saitama Super Arena on Sunday for Dream's third installment, which features the lightweight grand prix quarterfinals.

On the eve of the event, the 16 participating fighters gathered at Tokyo's Hotel East 21 to share their thoughts with local and international media.

Nick Diaz (Pictures) expressed some discontent in how his fight against Katsuya Inoue (Pictures) has been handled. The bout was cancelled earlier in the week and then restored, which forced Diaz through a rigorous weight-cutting and travel schedule.

The Cesar Gracie (Pictures)-trained fighter acknowledged Saturday that he also knew little about Inoue.

"I'm glad to fight in Japan again," Diaz said. "I will fight here tomorrow to represent EliteXC. I haven't watched a fight video of my opponent and don't really know about him. I checked the Internet and couldn't find any information. Please send me his fight video if you have it."

The always charismatic Jason "Mayhem" Miller did his usual job to recruit more "Mayhem Monkeys" in Japan. He labeled himself a new pro wrestler who is going to beat an old pro wrestler in opponent Katsuhiro Shibata.

Asked about the meaning of the enormous gold chain he was wearing, Miller said it was "a symbol showing how Americans waste their money."

The most heated words came from lightweight tournament participant Luiz Firmino (Pictures), who expressed his dislike of Japanese lightweight Tatsuya Kawajiri (Pictures).

Firmino said he had waited three years to fight Kawajiri again. Kawajiri outpointed the Brazilian in July 2005, but Firmino said Saturday that he had found Kawajiri's weaknesses both on the ground and standing.

On the other side, Kawajiri limited himself to stating his dislike for trash talking and his personal dislike for Firmino.http://www.sherdog.com/news/pictures.asp?n_id=12676

the link has a couple press conference pics