Should Fighters be ranked in there old weight classes if they move??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Should Fighters be ranked in there old weight classes if they move??
POLL: Should they??
yes 14% (3)
no 67% (14)
doesnt matter 19% (4)
Violence108
7/27/09 4:29:25PM
Fighters like Rich Franklin, Diego Sanchez, Gegard Mousasi are still ranked in there old weight classes and there is no sign of them going back, so why are they still up there?? i do no think it is fair to the other fighters, they want to be in the top and they cant because a fighter that does not even fight in that weight anymore is there. Rich moved up to 205 and he wants to stay there, so he sould be taken off the 185lbs rankes, same for Diego, and Gegard.
KaibaThedon
7/27/09 6:26:18PM
Agreed.

Hendo might be an exception as if he doesn't get a title shot at 185, they're going to make him fight at 205. I think he can hang with the best at both weight classes, but only really rank him as a MW.

Sanchez in my eyes is a 155er (looks pretty lean at 155) and he looks 'small' for 170.

Mousasi is only going to fight at 205 now cuz he says he is too old and doesnt wanna cut to 185 anymore.
lohmann
7/27/09 8:14:58PM
It's conditional; I think it mostly depends on the indications of a fighter. If Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin at UFC 103 was at 205, I would leave Henderson at 185 - and the fight's outcome would effect him in my 185 rankings, although less significantly than the outcome for the 205'er Rich Franklin - since it seems pretty clear that that is where he's looking for gold right now.

Mousasi has made it clear that he's moving up, and as he gains weight it's harder to justify keeping him in the 185 rankings.

Sanchez has made only minor buzz about going back up to welterweight, and from recent articles it seems he's pursuing the winner of Florian vs. Penn for the 155 title.

Franklin has not fought at or made any movements towards fighting at 185 in over a year, so I can find no reason ranking him there.

The question that puzzles me is how much should the success at a different weight class count in a fighter's point of origin in a different weight class. A lot of people threw Sanchez into the top ten after his first victory at 155 over a slumping Joe Stevenson because of his prior status as a top ten welterweight.
sclasclemski
7/27/09 9:16:55PM
if they plan on staying at the new weight class then they shouldn't be ranked at the old...my humble opinion
mentalcase
7/27/09 9:18:09PM
i agree i think the site programer should change the ranking system on this site to only allow a fighter to be ranked in one weight class

people are still ranking rich an henderson in both classes and its screwing the rankings i little bit

to all the peole stuck back in time

rich is 205

hendo is 185

diego is 155

gegard is 205 (he said he cant make 185 anymore)
JimiMak
7/27/09 10:43:45PM
For the most part you're right. How does a current (whatever weight) get ranked in the other weight class instead of the current.

On the other hand rankings mean nothing. I doubt it matters to a fighter if (name your site) has you ranked on a diff division than you fight in. UFC def doesn't do title shots according to ranking (or adjust their rankings to accomodate the line of title shot).

These are a reference for fans and should be updated better but has no real effect on the fighter or his salary. We've all seen guys fight for belts or whatever and not even get as much money as "lesser" guys on a card. Money comes down to contracts and when in your career they were signed. Rich Franklin was champion and not getting as much as a lot of guys lower on the card that didn't sign a long time contract when they were early in their career.
joshryanshepherd
7/28/09 12:07:09AM
well, for guys like hendo, hes in both top 10s. Gegard needs to fight and win at 205 before i take him OFF the 185 top. diego is off my 170 but curretly on the 155. but good topic ive been concerned about the same thing.

but im happy that i can finally rank wand in the 185 category!!!
mentalcase
7/28/09 1:30:33AM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

well, for guys like hendo, hes in both top 10s. Gegard needs to fight and win at 205 before i take him OFF the 185 top. diego is off my 170 but curretly on the 155. but good topic ive been concerned about the same thing.

but im happy that i can finally rank wand in the 185 category!!!

Mousasi last fight was at HW when he beat mark hunt and hes fighting at 205 next so it makes sense to rank him there now
sclasclemski
7/28/09 6:37:15AM
I have taken Mousasi off the MW rankings but haven't put him in my 205 yet until he beats Babalu...assuming he does...and I'm wondering if my AVbet is still gonna happen????