Fighters you pick no matter what the odds are against them.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fighters you pick no matter what the odds are against them.
Next Page »
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:16:13PM
I was wondering if there were any fighters out there that you would pick no matter what situation they were in. Fighters that you will pick even if they are facing Fedor. I know that a lot of people don't risk picking wrongly on here, because of the standings and what not. I just wondered if there was someone you were willing to throw a win away for, just because you like them or you would just rather support them in a loss.

I don't want to hear about the Fedors of the world. Those are the fighters that you expect to win, and they shouldn't count, because you don't throw away picks just to pick them. I'm not talking about the champions, or the top contenders..No guys who are on huge win streaks either, because these are the guys your going to pick because you know they know how to win. I'm talking about the average joes (Lytle, Jardine, Lauzon, Cote), who you didn't mind risking a pick on.

I think I have three guys:

1) Joe Riggs - I just believe that this guy has so much talent that in a lot of cases he hasn't put to use. I like to pick this guy over others, because he has that "you don't know which Joe will be stepping into the cage" characteristic. He's the type of fighter that you say, "he's going to bring the fight even if he loses."

2) Stephan Bonnar - I've liked the guy since his fight with Forrest. He's had a run of bad luck (including this leg injury and the substance abuse thing). He's just a guy that you either love or hate, but you know he's going to bring the fight. Even back when there were rumors that he was going to be fighting Renato Sobral (this was the time when Forrest had just lost to Tito, and everyone thought that Stephan was going to be "put to the test"), I was okay with picking Stephan.

3) Kazushi Sakuraba - I haven't known this guy for long (I wasn't into Pride, so I hadn't heard of him until the Akiyama incident), but in the time I have, I've heard the talk. "He's too old", "just retire already", "he can't win." Even this past Dream event, there was all this talk. I just think that this guy still has a lot for this sport even if it's in losing situations. I will admit, I picked Sakuraba to win against Manhoef. Just like if he was to face God himself next, I would pick him. Just one of those guys that you want to see win.

How about the rest of you?
holt8081
6/19/08 11:17:28PM
bj penn
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:19:57PM
I said no Champions. How often does a guy who became a champion, face situations where he's winning one, and then losing two, and but you pick him all those times? Not very often. I'm talking about guys who you know could easily lose his next fight, but you don't care, you pick him anyway.
grappler0000
6/19/08 11:19:59PM
holt8081
6/19/08 11:21:40PM
ok then Clay Guida
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:22:06PM
Um. Okay.. I guess you changed your mind.

Posted by holt8081

ok then Clay Guida

That's a good choice. I didn't think about him. Yeah, after all those decision losses, followed by the Huerta loss, I can understand the hesitation one might have when picking him.
holt8081
6/19/08 11:24:15PM
What did I screw up know, You said no champs.
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:25:58PM
I said the no Champions thing about Penn. If your talking about the "guess you changed your mind" thing I was talking about the other person.. He edited his post to just show a dot.
holt8081
6/19/08 11:27:11PM
oh hehe my bad
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:28:34PM
That's okay. When I saw that you posted after him, and before me, I thought about changing it to show his dot. I guess I should next time.
bobbydoomocculta
6/19/08 11:29:13PM
I will always back Akira Shoji... I don't even Know if he still fights... That boy is always gonna give you everything he has...
holt8081
6/19/08 11:32:22PM
of course I always pick Machida and T. Silva but Im shure everybody else would to.
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:33:00PM

Posted by bobbydoomocculta

I will always back Akira Shoji... I don't even Know if he still fights... That boy is always gonna give you everything he has...

I don't personally know who that is, but I looked at his record, and who he fought.. I can understand that. He had a run of tough fights (or at least fights where he was facing a tough opponent.) Yeah, this is what I am talking about.

To be honest, Hideo Tokoro from Dream 4 got me thinking about this. I wanted to mention him as well, but his last fight was the first time I had ever seen him fight.

Posted by holt8081

of course I always pick Machida and T. Silva but Im shure everybody else would to.

Before Machida beat Sokoudjou, and Thiago beat Houston, I would have agreed with you on risking a throw away pick on them.
ThaAxeMurderer7
6/19/08 11:34:07PM
I always pick Spencer Fisher in his fights. I know he's probably on a lot of people's top 10 fav. lists and I can see why. He's just one of the most exciting fighters in a really exciting division and if he's going down he will go down swinging!
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:37:34PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

I always pick Spencer Fisher in his fights. I know he's probably on a lot of people's top 10 fav. lists and I can see why. He's just one of the most exciting fighters in a really exciting division and if he's going down he will go down swinging!

I could understand Fisher as well. I can't say that I would pick him every time (because I haven't, I picked Edgar over him), but I could understand it. Fisher does have the ability to make fights happen in his favor, but he isn't always able to, every time.
holt8081
6/19/08 11:37:59PM

ya I shure dident thing frank edgar was going to beat him down like he did
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:40:48PM

Posted by holt8081

I was part of a fight group at that time, and they were all like, "spencer this, spencer that" and I was like, "EDGAR BEAT GRIFFIN, how can you not pick him?" Now had the Fisher/Edgar fight happened after the Maynard/Edgar fight, I could understand their trust in Fisher.
Rush
6/19/08 11:42:36PM
The Donger, by Dongbar.... or at least lay down some cash on him.
holt8081
6/19/08 11:43:23PM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Posted by holt8081

I was part of a fight group at that time, and they were all like, "spencer this, spencer that" and I was like, "EDGAR BEAT GRIFFIN, how can you not pick him?" Now had the Fisher/Edgar fight happened after the Maynard/Edgar fight, I could understand their trust in Fisher.

Ya I was part of that same fight camp TEAM VALCOM right
rabbit915
6/19/08 11:44:44PM
Frankie Edgar. I always think he is going to win for some reason regardless of the size or skill of who he is fighting. Of course thats usually been a good choice until his last fight which i still insist he won.
holt8081
6/19/08 11:45:01PM

Posted by Rush

ya the last time i picked the Dong..............he lost.
wolfman
6/19/08 11:45:54PM

Posted by Rush

I like the way this man thinks. The Dongbar will return, he was SO close to having it against Mousasi! I was yelling Dongbar, Dongbar! at my pc screen when he was going for it. Well, unfortunately me dongbar chant did not work...
holt8081
6/19/08 11:46:12PM

Posted by rabbit915

Frankie Edgar. I always think he is going to win for some reason regardless of the size or skill of who he is fighting. Of course thats usually been a good choice until his last fight which i still insist he won.

your kidding right,
he got distroyed by Maynard.
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:46:22PM

Posted by holt8081

Posted by Scott_Revels

Posted by holt8081

Yeah.. After being a big part of them getting the win the second season, I stopped caring about the sport of picking fights for awhile. I might rejoin them when this season ends. I wouldn't want my tragedy of a season record to hurt them for this season, so I haven't asked to come back yet.
holt8081
6/19/08 11:48:34PM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Posted by holt8081

Posted by Scott_Revels

Posted by holt8081

Yeah.. After being a big part of them getting the win the second season, I stopped caring about the sport of picking fights for awhile. I might rejoin them when this season ends. I wouldn't want my tragedy of a season record to hurt them for this season, so I haven't asked to come back yet.

Ya for some reason they got rid of me after we won the top camp, I feel so used.
Scott_Revels
6/19/08 11:53:35PM
Not trying to bash you or anything, but your record and bank account might be the reason.. I joked around and pissed away money like I was growing it on trees this whole past season, and I mean, I still have a better record, so that might be it.. Heh, lol.
Spyderman1074
6/19/08 11:58:27PM
chuck liddell

hes my idol ive never once put him losing and never will

i shaved my head like him and kept it for 5 months

**** yes the iceman is king
holt8081
6/20/08 12:00:25AM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Not trying to bash you or anything, but your record and bank account might be the reason.. I joked around and pissed away money like I was growing it on trees this whole past season, and I mean, I still have a better record, so that might be it.. Heh, lol.

well at that time I maintained about 74% on my picks and there where a lot below me, but this season so far sucks for me too
DevonFoxy
6/20/08 12:01:33AM
Josh Koscheck
Scott_Revels
6/20/08 12:06:22AM

Posted by holt8081

Posted by Scott_Revels

well at that time I maintained about 74% on my picks and there where a lot below me, but this season so far sucks for me too

I don't know then. I know I had like an 81% so I wasn't that far ahead of you. Unless Sticksta or Nebraska stopped letting guys stay on the team if you didn't have like 75% then I don't know. When I was there, as long as you had 70% or higher you were good for our team.
Pages: [1] 2 3