Should fighters be penalized for marijuana use?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Should fighters be penalized for marijuana use?
Next Page »
POLL: Should fighters be penalized for marijuana use in their free time?
yes 41% (26)
no 44% (28)
should be given bonus points 16% (10)
Cobbs666
1/29/07 8:18:00PM
Why is it such a big deal if someone has traces of marijuana in their blood, its not going to help them perform any better, its no different than having alcohol in your blood except for the fact that it is legal.
Infused
1/29/07 8:53:41PM
If it wasn't Illegal i'm sure they'd allow it, but since its illegal... they kinda get a fine.
hippysmacker
1/29/07 8:55:12PM
I think they should be penalized, it's a pain killer. Nogueira has been criticized for allegedly taking some painkiller, and if it makes him able to bear pain it gives him an advantage. As far as I know there is no proof on Nogueira so I think your probably talking about Joe Pearson. Since there is proof I think he should be penalized.
Svartorm
1/30/07 1:16:02AM
This comes up a lot, and I think the bottom line is, if the NSAC says you can't do it, don't do it. Its not like they spring this stuff on fighters at the last minute, so if a fighter tests positive for something they KNOW is banned, its their own fault for using it. Doesn't matter if its heroin or peanut butter, if its banned, don't do it.
roman
1/30/07 11:26:44PM
Bonus points for sure . I mean it only slows your ass down. And as for steroids, it seems like everyone who tests postive for it ends up being the loser anyways. I have always said takin roids doesn't make you a better fighter, just look at Randleman (sorry Randleman I still think you're badass).
fartinggrappler
1/31/07 2:08:55PM
fighters who smoke grass should be allowed to weigh in one pizza or a couple hambugers above the limit
allevil86
2/1/07 3:12:23PM
Simply No
sweatysally
2/1/07 9:28:25PM
fighters should be penalizzed for losing
madmarck
2/5/07 9:48:17AM

Posted by Cobbs666

Why is it such a big deal if someone has traces of marijuana in their blood, its not going to help them perform any better, its no different than having alcohol in your blood except for the fact that it is legal.

Its illegal. Thats the whole point. Whats the differnece in Black Tar Herione and Advil? Advil is legal. Herione isnt.
Its illegal. They dont want fighters to be doing illegal substances.
FLAMarlins35
2/5/07 2:20:43PM
ITS ILLEGAL AND EVERYONE SHOULD BE ENCOURAGED NOT TO USE IT, FAMOUS OR NOT
MonkeyPus
2/17/07 10:24:03PM
Hell No! Everybody should smoke weed.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/18/07 12:58:19AM
Tim Sylvia smokes weed...

LOOK!!!

Big Timmy The Pimp
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
scobac
9/16/07 12:14:56AM
it's illegal, but not really a drug. anyone who uses and the facts will tell you that. but it is extremely easy to clean from your system or hair folical. so if you get caught your stupid, you can cleanse, I know you can ive done it both hair and urine. it dosnt give you an addvantage, to make it work as a pain killer you would have to use it right before a bout and then it would'nt last but maybe twenty mins anyway. If you get caught using you just dont care, and for that you should get in trouble for it.
Mastodon2
9/16/07 8:21:50AM

Posted by scobac
it's illegal, but not really a drug.

I can say, with absolute certainty, that Tetrahydracannabinol is a drug. First line of the Wikipedia entry on "Drug" should clear that up for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug

Imo, fighters should most certainly be banned for taking it. There are a million reasons not to take it (links to mental illness, the evidence for which seems to get stronger every day, carcinogenic properties, affecting memory, giving children a heap of various birth defects if smoked by pregnant mothers, and stuff like the fact a huge amount of it is grown and exported to Europe and the USA from Afghanistan, which in turn funds terrorism) but all that aside, its just illegal.

Pro athletes should act responsibly, and not be drug addicts and abusers.
Taylor8766
9/16/07 2:34:43PM
I say no it shouldn't be banned, if a fighter smokes it 2-7 days before the fight it's going to have no affect on the fighter once so ever, however if the fighter smokes it the day of the fight then they should be penalized because it is a pain killer, but they should be able to smoke it 2-7 days pryer to the fight.
NatedawgThaM
9/16/07 3:59:45PM
The penalties for Weed use are RETARDED and UNFAIR!!!

When Sherk beats Franca & Florian & Diaz(probably) on Steroids they still count those fights as wins for him and Steroids HELP you win...

Nick Diaz smokes a little weed which DOESENT give you an athletic advantage and they change his sub win over Gomi as a No contest...

Im not a pot head but I know this is UNFAIR!!
Stickan
9/16/07 4:28:05PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

The penalties for Weed use are RETARDED and UNFAIR!!!

When Sherk beats Franca & Florian & Diaz(probably) on Steroids they still count those fights as wins for him and Steroids HELP you win...

Nick Diaz smokes a little weed which DOESENT give you an athletic advantage and they change his sub win over Gomi as a No contest...

Im not a pot head but I know this is UNFAIR!!

Sherk - California State Athletic Commission
Diaz - Nevada State Athletic Commission

So you can't really "they" both of them. Though it would be nice with some liniancy in these matters across the the whole nation.
gamez0932
9/16/07 7:08:16PM
i say it should be penalized.... you have to remember that mma organizations are trying to clean up the image that people see of them, and to allow your fighters to do illegal drugs wouldnt be good. you have to remember that this is there JOB... just like if you had a normal job you wouldnt be able to use drugs. if you use and dont get caught is on you, but if you were caught i cant see them letting it go without consequences.
Naturaldisaster
9/16/07 8:18:23PM
is marijuana illegal? YES
should they be penalized? DUH! yes
NatedawgThaM
9/16/07 9:14:15PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Is STEROIDS ILLEGAL? YES

So Weed users should get the SAME penalties...

Nick Diaz should have awin over gomi OFFICIALLY or Sherks wins should count as NC!!
Naturaldisaster
9/16/07 10:11:22PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Is STEROIDS ILLEGAL? YES

So Weed users should get the SAME penalties...

Nick Diaz should have awin over gomi OFFICIALLY or Sherks wins should count as NC!!

Diaz was on drugs so I think its fair what they did to him. but I think if a fighter is on steroids and they win the fight then the fight should be called a NC and the fighter should get suspended. but if the fighter on steroids loses then it should still be a loss and the fighter should be suspended
Rush
9/16/07 10:14:04PM

Posted by Svartorm

This comes up a lot, and I think the bottom line is, if the NSAC says you can't do it, don't do it. Its not like they spring this stuff on fighters at the last minute, so if a fighter tests positive for something they KNOW is banned, its their own fault for using it. Doesn't matter if its heroin or peanut butter, if its banned, don't do it.

I think this hits the nail on the head. The bottom line is that it is banned.

We could argue the reasons/validity of pot being an illegal substance or whether it helps you in a fight until we're blue in the head. The bottom line is that it is banned.

With respect to Sherk, has his appeal gone through yet? Was there a verdict? If not maybe that's why it is still a win for him and not a N/C.

If his appeal is denied/turned down then it should be a NC. They both broke the rules.

As far as the Diaz fight goes, if Gomi won the fight I could see them still giving Gomi the win. They did that to Vitor when he lost to Henderson.
sakurabaforever
9/16/07 11:22:44PM
LOL at the guy who thought weed was not a drug...oh man, good stuff.

Of course they should be penalized, not only is it illegal, but it can lead to other illegal substances (performance enhancing drugs, etc) not being properly detected, which is a huge problem.

Gomi was parting in Vegas all night, Diaz would have probably won no matter what, he's not that good, but he's no can. I'm surprised Gomi even got to break his face like that, Diaz should have been able to put away a hungover Gomi way early.
TOMMYAYO05
9/18/07 1:33:28AM
Im not going to say yes and im not going to say no.I mean Nick Diaz beat Gomi fair in square in one of the best wars ive ever seen in mma.I mean did the marijuana give him some superpowers we dont know about.I say yes they should be penalized but should definetley keep the win,and maybe just suspend and fine them.
AchillesHeel
9/18/07 10:31:15AM

Posted by Svartorm

Heh.

*runs away from the guy with the flanged mace*

Seriously though, You have to be a pretty big moron to fail to meet the requirements for a fight, whatever they are. Testing positive for XYZ is like failing to make weight. It's not like they don't give you enough time to prepare.

As far as I can tell - and I'm not a physician - marijuana is not an anesthetic, or even a general analgesic. It's (reputed) medical uses include treatment for cancer - or, more specifically, chemotherapy - and anorexia, because it increases appetite and suppresses nausea; glaucoma, because it reduces pressure in the eyes; neurological disorders such as epilepsy, and mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorders - I have no idea why, but it must effect neurotransmitters somehow; and other things like PMS and insomnia.

The one place where marijuana could potentially benefit a fighter is in its use as a treatment for asthma, because it increases air flow in the lungs (it's a "bronchodilator"). I don't know how much research has been done on it, I'm just speculating here. Of course, inhaling smoke probably damages the lungs more than the THC helps them, and if you put it in brownies you might not make weight, so you'd be screwing yourself either way...
Tein_Lung
2/14/08 1:47:26AM
Its against the rules so the only answer is yes, he should of been fined and suspended, however they should not fo taken the win away from him unless they took wins away from others which they have not done, Sherk is a prime example.
BlazinSaddle
2/14/08 2:20:58AM
i thought according to the biggits who write down how bad weed is that weed slows you down and makes you sluggish so how is that performance enhancing? PRIDE FC was especially hypocritical because they didnt test for roids yet they took diaz's win away from gomi cus he lit up a blunt before the fight and wooped on gomi, personally i see nothing wrong with weed, nothing wrong with it, no dependence issues, no backlash effects, and no gateway to worse drugs, pretty much harmless, and the only reason they dont legalize hemp, hemp is the plant not the THC that gets you high, the reason they dont legalize the wonder plant is because technically you would be able to grow weed, when hemp can be used for cheaper clothing, fuel for cars and industries and cost many countries especially the ones in north america many billions of dollars but theyd rather have us all by the balls, personally im not a weed smoker but its a small price to pay to just legalize hemp to get these advantages and make things easier people are gonna smoke/sell it anyway might as well charge taxes on it but they dont, back to the point tho, hell no fighters should not be penalized most of them wouldnt do that well on pot anyway, its only for certain fighters and minds who can handle it

"what can kill somebody else can save another"
jiujitsufreak74
2/14/08 2:34:15AM
i lose all respect for fighters who test positive for weed before a fight. if you can't be professional enough to pass a drug test the day before your fight you shouldn't call yourself a professional. weed is a pain killer and in diaz case it may/may not have helped him win, i mean the guy did break his orbital bone and kept going like he didn't feel it...maybe that was because he really didn't feel it. regardless of that issue i cannot stand fighters that get caught for weed. i am even more adimant on steroids and i think steroids should elicit a more severe punishment however both are illegal, both have potential performance enhancing abilities and both should not be in your system the day before a fight. steroids should never be in your systems ever, but i will accept it if a fighter smokes weed, as long as he doesn't do it a day before a fight.
Pookie
2/14/08 4:18:30AM
I think if there is a penalty for drugs, it should be universal.

The fact that sherk gets away with it and diaz doesnt bothers me immensely, when marijuana is just as harmful as it is beneficial to a fighter. Pain inhibitor or not, you lose co-ordination, timing and and reflex speed. That (by a mile!) will harm your fighting ability more than it will help against a striker.

Should marijuana be legal? Sure, why not, keeping it illegal causes more problems than it solves. Is it relevant? Not really. Bottom line is that these are the rules that are in place, and its part of your job to follow it.

I don't see why the different state commissions differ on these rules though. They do so little and get paid so much, how do they keep their jobs when everybody has complaints about something they do.

BTW: I find it funny that sherk says he'll never fight in California again when if the fight had happened in vegas his victory would have turned into a NC. Guess he doesnt realize how lucky he was
MikeBillotto
2/19/08 12:23:45AM
no because most people do it.. i mean nick diaz is high alot. who cares he beat gomi and got it taken away waht a ******* shame.
Pages: [1] 2