Fighters to keep an eye on?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fighters to keep an eye on?
Next Page »
Taylor8766
9/5/08 3:04:06PM
Who do u think is a fighter to keep an eye on as a potential champion in the UFC?
cowcatcher
9/5/08 3:07:40PM
nog
haggiswashere
9/5/08 3:21:59PM
Dan Henderson. Off to a bad start in the ufc but i think that will change in the future. Matt Horwich looks good. He is making his debut but depending on how he does will determine alot of things. i like him but we haven't seen him against UFC caliber guys. Oh and Glover Texiera...sorry i think i slaughtered the spelling on the last name. That guy is good. Amir Sadollah is awesome, and fun to watch and i think and hope he will do good. Unfortunatly they are throwing him cans right now. sorry i named like 4 guys but they just came to mind
mkiv9secsupra
9/5/08 3:24:05PM
Tyson Griffin
Mchubb316
9/5/08 3:28:37PM
Glover I think has a big upside. I still like Mac Danzig, he is strong enough and well rounded that in time, could develop into a stong contender. Maynard is progressing nicely as well. I know Brock has been talked about to death but is still raw as far as MMA is concerned and still has a high ceiling. Goran Reljic is a guy who I think could be dangerous as he develops. Just to name a few.
Jackelope
9/5/08 3:38:19PM
Cain Velasquez
jiujitsufreak74
9/5/08 3:38:54PM
well obviously Cain Velasquez...no explanation needed.

i would say watch out for Jon Jones. that dude is no joke. he hasn't even been training a whole year yet and he says he doesn't even train full time. this guy is going to be a beast when he gets into a good training camp and gets some more experience. he is 6-0...and all of his fights are in 2008. and not to mention he totally out-classed Gusmao who was supposed to be the up and comer that would one day be champion. well, Jon Jones has stolen all the hype from Andre and is using it for himself. i can't wait to see him fight...this dude is going to be a beast and by the time he reaches his peak Wandy, Chuck, Hendo and some other solid LHW won't even be fighting anymore.
Taylor8766
9/5/08 3:47:11PM
I have high hopes for Goran Reljic I really believe that he has a great chance at being a future title holder. Also Demian Maia is one to keep an eye on.
Lockfrow
9/5/08 4:03:06PM
Matt Horwich.

The guy is retarded strong and can take a ton of damage. He wears guys down then taps them.
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/5/08 5:50:38PM

Posted by Taylor8766

I have high hopes for Goran Reljic I really believe that he has a great chance at being a future title holder. Also Demian Maia is one to keep an eye on.

reljic, maia, thiago silva
Twenty20Dollars
9/5/08 6:20:53PM
Jon Jones or anthony johnson
ohiostate1016
9/5/08 6:23:37PM
Can't believe I'm only the second to mention Demian Maia. I should get him to break all of your arms...
jiujitsufreak74
9/5/08 6:44:34PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Can't believe I'm only the second to mention Demian Maia. I should get him to break all of your arms...

Anderson Silva is only 33 and Maia is 30 (turning 31 in November). as much as i have hyped up Maia i cannot bring myself to say that he will be champion so long that Anderson Silva is in the UFC. the only chance Maia has is if Anderson gets bored and either moves up or retires in the next 5 years.
CwB
9/5/08 6:59:30PM
someone already mentioned him but gray maynard. he is always improving although i dont really see him beating bj any time soon i think he can hold his own against anyone else in the division

Martin kampmann if he drops to welterweight

ohiostate1016
9/5/08 7:00:57PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by ohiostate1016

Anderson Silva is only 33 and Maia is 30 (turning 31 in November). as much as i have hyped up Maia i cannot bring myself to say that he will be champion so long that Anderson Silva is in the UFC. the only chance Maia has is if Anderson gets bored and either moves up or retires in the next 5 years.

Who says that Maia wouldn't beat Anderson? I think he could tap him.
jiujitsufreak74
9/5/08 7:10:28PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by ohiostate1016

Who says that Maia wouldn't beat Anderson? I think he could tap him.

i have watched Maia since his appearance in the 2005 ADCC. i am telling you right now, there is no way he can tap out Anderson because he could never take it to the ground. a lot of these JJ fighters don't have good take downs (Werdum, Diaz, Maia) and although Maia is improving his MMA game his transitional game still needs some work. Anderson would pick him apart on the feet, keep it there and finish in the first round. Palhares is more likely to take it to the ground against Silva and i would give him a better shot at winning then i would for Maia.
ohiostate1016
9/5/08 7:13:47PM
I never said that Maia could beat Anderson if they stepped into the cage tomorrow. I'm just saying that Maia is the fasting rising prospect in the UFC right now, even ahead of Palhares. Nobody has shown more growth in the past year than Demian.
DONWEEZY5405
9/5/08 7:19:45PM
Maia Fasho and Anthony johnson!
Palhares will shoot up therre after he subs hendo!! A/V bet anyone?
Biggz
9/5/08 7:26:34PM
i know i'm going to get alot of shit for this but i really think Nate Diaz will be a great competetor in the LW, even have a shot at the title in the future. i still want to see a Diaz vs Danzig fight. or Maynard fight either of those two.
jiujitsufreak74
9/5/08 7:30:29PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I never said that Maia could beat Anderson if they stepped into the cage tomorrow. I'm just saying that Maia is the fasting rising prospect in the UFC right now, even ahead of Palhares. Nobody has shown more growth in the past year than Demian.

Palhares is the better prospect because he is younger, has a style that is more suitable to MMA and is a bigger MW. he has better takedowns and imo better offensive JJ. Maia is still very timind with his JJ as illustrated in the MacDonald fight were he refused to go for the arm triangle Jason left out there that a 2 year old could have seen. Maia is improving, yes, and if he continues to work with Wandy his stand-up will be decent, but the fact remains that his style of JJ isn't as adaptable to MMA as Palhares' is. trust me, i have watched both of these guys before they even started MMA.
grappler0000
9/5/08 9:42:48PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Palhares is the better prospect because he is younger, has a style that is more suitable to MMA and is a bigger MW. he has better takedowns and imo better offensive JJ. Maia is still very timind with his JJ as illustrated in the MacDonald fight were he refused to go for the arm triangle Jason left out there that a 2 year old could have seen. Maia is improving, yes, and if he continues to work with Wandy his stand-up will be decent, but the fact remains that his style of JJ isn't as adaptable to MMA as Palhares' is. trust me, i have watched both of these guys before they even started MMA.

I agree. Not to mention, Palhares has gorilla strength...once he closes the distance, he locks on like a pitbull. If he can get inside, he's not letting go.
loller90278
9/6/08 12:01:47AM
gegard mousasi should prove he's a top MW after hopefully getting the KO over melvin.
mrkennedy
9/6/08 12:19:45AM
Cain,Guida,Bader(tuf 8 member),Dan Miller,Demian Maia,Rumble,Rousimar and Dong-hyun Kim
Ben_Hutch
9/6/08 1:03:23AM
Dan Hardy and Goran Reljic
Gladiator
9/6/08 2:55:03AM
Mark my words, Dustin Hazelet is a champ in the making. he will rule either light-weight or welter-weight, whichever he choses to fight at, someday. also keep an eye on Terry Etim, i have a feeling he will upset sam stout and be a force to be reckoned with someday... maybe not aa champ but a contender no doubt.
bls1919
9/7/08 12:38:09AM
I say watch KenFlo. he will be then next LW belt holder. And then i say Cain Velasquez. Alos in the LW division watch Nate Diaz. that guy has great boxing and super slich BJJ.
jiujitsufreak74
9/7/08 5:37:07PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

told ya
zacatack
9/7/08 5:45:24PM
dan hardy if he gets past gono
copcopps
9/7/08 6:56:56PM
Maia, Pahlares, Reljic, Markham and Kim
dannyfrank
9/7/08 9:34:44PM

Posted by Biggz

i know i'm going to get alot of shit for this but i really think Nate Diaz will be a great competetor in the LW, even have a shot at the title in the future. i still want to see a Diaz vs Danzig fight. or Maynard fight either of those two.

i dont think thats unrealistic at all. diaz is good, and thats coming from someone who despises him
Pages: [1] 2