Fighters you would like to have dropped or gone up a weight clas Retired or Active.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fighters you would like to have dropped or gone up a weight clas Retired or Active.
ThatOttGuy
10/20/12 7:30:26PM
I've allways thought about this who would of done better if they would of dropped or gone up in a weight class to possible title or HOF stattus in ufc OR any other promotions.

im pretty sure this was asked before but please bare with me im still a noob ill post my top 5 here I really would like to see your input on this.

1: Fedor I would of loved him to go to 205 he got a taste of real competition in the states and almost got flattend by Arlovski then the losing streak.

Lets face it he was a small HW could have dominated at LHW in his prime

2: Chris Lytle at Light Weight his boxing is mint and his submissions are insane but highly underated. Given his experiance im sure he could of hung with GSP

He could of torn that division apart with his skills

3: Renato Sobral a great submission artist but he could of went down at 185 not many of them there alot of point fighters or strikers would of destroyed alot of people on his way.

4: Matt Hughes i would of loved to see this guy go at 185 when he called out Matt glass jaw jobber can Lidland he would of imo dominated Frankland and take out Tanner but against an Anderson Silva it would of been a loss.

5: and my final pick Rashad Evans Like him or hate him this guy can bang and ground and pound i wouldl ove to see a super fight at 185 he did a stint at HW he got the title at 205 Lost twice but his speed, foot movement and wrestling could be a threat at 185.

george112
10/20/12 7:32:49PM
I'm only going to comment on Fedor.

Fedor DID dominate at HW. Losing a few at the END of your career is nothing to be ashamed of. Happens to everyone.
ThatOttGuy
10/20/12 7:34:04PM
you missed the topic entirely!!!!
infestructure
10/20/12 7:35:02PM
Lyoto Machida at 185 He likes his baby fat too much
Budgellism
10/20/12 7:42:38PM
1. Fedor. I agree. I would have loved to see him try 205 out.
2. Machida. There are a ton of fights at 185 that I could get excited for.
3. Rashad Evans. Same thing as Machida. There are a lot of interesting match ups.
4. Frankie Edgar. I know he's doing it now but I've been waiting a while to see him try 145 out.
5. B.J. Penn. He's fought at 155 a bunch of times but I wish he'd just stay there.
george112
10/20/12 7:43:32PM

Posted by ThatOttGuy

you missed the topic entirely!!!!

I just don't think he should have moved down. Fighters move down for 2 reasons.

1. Clean out division
2. Can't win because their size prohibits wins

Neither apply to Fedor. But I get your point because all of this is based on opinion.

My bad man didn't mean to turn it into something its not

Back to the topic.

A glaring fighter for me would be Anderson Silva. He needs to move up. It's just a shame he is "almost" done
ThatOttGuy
10/20/12 7:49:29PM
he did clean out a division..... thats the point i was getting at in pride he destroyed everyone! so its logical for him to have gone down hes gone up and fought Super HW's
george112
10/20/12 7:52:44PM
Well since he didn't go to the UFC which was the stable for the majority of the ranked heavies I personally wouldn't say he cleaned out the division
ThatOttGuy
10/20/12 7:56:44PM
ok it does say ufc OR other promotion......... so yes.... he did! he was the only undefeated pride hw champ.
ThatOttGuy
10/20/12 8:01:01PM
also if thats the case then

Rank Fighter Points Received
#1 Anderson Silva 20.30%
#2 Chris Weidman 15.39%
#3 Chael Sonnen 14.09%
#4 Vitor Belfort 11.48%
#5 Michael Bisping 11.24%
#6 Tim Boetsch 7.19%
#7 Luke Rockhold 5.65% <------ SF
#8 Mark Munoz 5.43%
#9 Alan Belcher 4.70%
#10 Yushin Okami 4.53%
Honorable mentions: Brian Stann, Dan Henderson, Hector Lombard

andrson silva is not the best MW in the world and has yet to clear the division so that logic is completely flawed!

again Missing the point Entierly!!!!!!!
jae_1833
10/20/12 8:12:58PM
There is competition for Silva at MW?

Back to the topic.....Babalu at MW would have been great, saw him vs Lawler and he looked awesome!
Rashad Machida and Shogun could all make MW most likely and do outstanding I think.
Edger....of course....that conversation is a mute point as of now.
CroCop at LHW could have been really scary.
Silva's move to LHW should be now and be against Jones.
Lastly I have to say I am glad to see BW and FW come out so strongly in the UFC.....those divisions are long proven to produce great fighters!
Chael_Sonnen
10/20/12 8:15:51PM
Easy one.....

Chael @ HW - - - only to add to his (P)erfect legacy

/ thread
george112
10/20/12 8:20:42PM

Posted by ThatOttGuy

also if thats the case then

Rank Fighter Points Received
#1 Anderson Silva 20.30%
#2 Chris Weidman 15.39%
#3 Chael Sonnen 14.09%
#4 Vitor Belfort 11.48%
#5 Michael Bisping 11.24%
#6 Tim Boetsch 7.19%
#7 Luke Rockhold 5.65% <------ SF
#8 Mark Munoz 5.43%
#9 Alan Belcher 4.70%
#10 Yushin Okami 4.53%
Honorable mentions: Brian Stann, Dan Henderson, Hector Lombard

andrson silva is not the best MW in the world and has yet to clear the division so that logic is completely flawed!

again Missing the point Entierly!!!!!!!

If my logic is wrong then your logic is wrong

Look at your first post! Damn I wish I could take my prop back

TeamDEY
10/20/12 9:53:50PM

Posted by ThatOttGuy

I've allways thought about this who would of done better if they would of dropped or gone up in a weight class to possible title or HOF stattus in ufc OR any other promotions.

im pretty sure this was asked before but please bare with me im still a noob ill post my top 5 here I really would like to see your input on this.

1: Fedor I would of loved him to go to 205 he got a taste of real competition in the states and almost got flattend by Arlovski then the losing streak.

2: Chris Lytle at Light Weight his boxing is mint and his submissions are insane but highly underated. Given his experiance im sure he could of hung with GSP

3: Renato Sobral a great submission artist but he could of went down at 185 not many of them there alot of point fighters or strikers would of destroyed alot of people on his way.

4: Matt Hughes i would of loved to see this guy go at 185 when he called out Matt glass jaw jobber can Lidland he would of imo dominated Frankland and take out Tanner but against an Anderson Silva it would of been a loss.

5: and my final pick Rashad Evans Like him or hate him this guy can bang and ground and pound i wouldl ove to see a super fight at 185 he did a stint at HW he got the title at 205 Lost twice but his speed, foot movement and wrestling could be a threat at 185.

Almost got flattened by Arlovski???????? In what way? Just like Anderson almost got flattened by Sonnen.
george112
10/20/12 10:11:12PM

Posted by TeamDEY

Posted by ThatOttGuy

Almost got flattened by Arlovski???????? In what way? Just like Anderson almost got flattened by Sonnen.

Ding Ding Ding

The only thing I remember being flat was AA flat on his face after being KTFO
sparky
10/20/12 10:26:35PM
1 Anderson up to 205 to actually fight a top ranked guy (Griffin Bonnar and Irvin just dont do it for me)
2 Rashad down to 185 I personally think he's perfect fit for middle weight
3 Aldo up to 155 this kid is a beast and I would love to see what he can do at LW
4 Crocop down to 205 for super fight with Couture or atleast a catch weight bout at like 220 or something.
5 GSP up to 185 to become the MW Champion WAR Canada
State_Champ
10/20/12 11:06:39PM
I wish Rashad would drop to MW.
I wish Penn would drop to LW.
I wish Aldo would move up to LW.
I wish Fedor would have dropped to LHW.
I wish Roy Nelson would drop to LHW.
I wish Maldonado would drop to MW.
I wish Machida would drop to MW.
I wish Anderson Silva would go up to LHW.

In all of these cases, I wish the fighters would change weight because there are fun opponents for them in weight-classes outside their usual class.

EDIT: I really want to see Anderson Silva vs Rashad Evans.

shaneTpain
10/21/12 9:07:06AM
I wanna see Pat Barry move down to LHW. He has the power to make an impact in the division.

I also wanna see the dude who started this thread chill out a little & quit ragging on my boy George.
ThatOttGuy
10/21/12 12:24:29PM
NEWI wanna see Pat Barry move down to LHW. He has the power to make an impact in the division.

I also wanna see the dude who started this thread chill out a little & quit ragging on my boy George.

i agree on the pat barry move to 205 hes a really short/ small HW his kick boxing is solid he just needs some serious wrestling and submission defense
pmoney
10/22/12 6:47:23AM

Posted by george112

Ding Ding Ding

While that is how the fight ended, Fedor was getting picked apart for the entire match (all half of a round, or however long it lasted). The KO punch from Fedor came when Arlovski had him backed in to a corner and went for a stupid flying knee or something, and that was pretty much the only punch Fedor landed.
george112
10/22/12 7:06:54AM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by george112

Ding Ding Ding

While that is how the fight ended, Fedor was getting picked apart for the entire match (all half of a round, or however long it lasted). The KO punch from Fedor came when Arlovski had him backed in to a corner and went for a stupid flying knee or something, and that was pretty much the only punch Fedor landed.

So what does that say about what Chael was doing to Silva the WHOLE fight?

Absolutely nothing. Because all the Silva fans will say doesnt matter what went on before the sub he still got the win.

So being a Fedor fan I will say the same thing. Half a round is nothing compared to 4/5 rounds.

airkerma
10/22/12 10:19:31AM

Posted by shaneTpain

I wanna see Pat Barry move down to LHW. He has the power to make an impact in the division.

Idk what everyone else here has been smoking, because this is 100% the pink elephant in the room. The dude is shorter than most middle weights and any real heavy weight absolutely towers over him. He has some great striking skills, but he will never touch the top 15 in the HW division. He looks stout but dudes put muscle on top of fat, so perhaps he has quite a bit he could cut under that muscle.
fullerene
10/22/12 11:19:02AM
This is another topic that Rogan and Goldberg have unduly influenced with their own opinions--ones I don't agree with. Forcing yourself down a weight class is not some magic elixer for success. The lighter weight classes generally have a deeper talent pool and faster fighters with better cardio. Being a big, dehydrated fighter doesn't necessarily allow you to overcompensate for those advantages, particularly if you already showed your shortcoming during your previous career at a higher weight. Not surprisingly, the success of fighters dropping a weight class is limited. I woudln't be surprised if the overall success rate is greater for people going up in weight--that is the tradition in boxing where it is believed that the stress of dieting and weight cuts gets harder as you age and that you should accept your body "filling out" as you go through your career.

People who reached the championship level--like Machida, Hughes, and Evans--are very unlikely to have had more success at a lower weight. Imagining Fedor doing something more at 205 than he did at HW is almost impossible. If anything, his smaller stature would have made it plausible for guys like Wanderlei and Shogun to have challenged him at HW without weight being that big a factor.

The only people I really want to see change weight classes are fighters who are not in great shape at their current weight. Ithink someone like Fabio Maldonado should drop body fat and head to 185. I think someone like Pablo Garza or Kendall Grove needs more muscle as a fighter and they can't possibly do it at their height without changing weight classes.
ghandikush
10/22/12 6:57:23PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Easy one.....

Chael @ HW - - - only to add to his (P)erfect legacy

/ thread

So JDS and Nog can Triangle him after Jones and lil Nog make spoiled leftovers.... pretty rank...
infestructure
10/25/12 3:45:58PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by george112

Ding Ding Ding

I agree, I swing from Fedor sack, but he was losing until Arlovski tried to pull some flying shit