More Fighters To Be Cut From The UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » More Fighters To Be Cut From The UFC
snakeplissken
4/22/08 11:40:09AM
UFC is expected to make significant talent cuts, as the active roster has grown to 200 fighters under contract to the MMA organization. UFC doesn't run enough shows to keep all the fighters in a regular rotation.

One of the first major casualties was heavyweight Jake O'Brien, a former Purder wrestler. As reported yesterday, Kalib Starnes was also let go.

Despite the impending cuts, UFC did sign Yushin Okami to a new contract.

LINK

So whose next on the list then?
babytater03
4/22/08 12:07:46PM
They dont need to cut anyone.

I have a solution for them: HAVE MORE FREE EVENTS. you dont have to make a knockout end all be all card every chance, a decent card would be fine with me every two weeks.

i'm sure they could make up the cash from endorsements and advertisers if they were to charge more since their brand would be displayed more.

idk. Just my $.02
silverbullet
4/22/08 12:11:43PM
I take it as good news
GlancyMMA
4/22/08 12:41:41PM
Yeah, thinning the heard can only make the promotion stronger.

Personally I think they should add the bantam and featherweights to the UFC and use the WEC as a secondary league to the UFC for all weight classes.

Kinda like the Premiere League in soccer. WEC champs work there way into UFC contendership.

Too many losses puts you down the roster and back to the WEC. This can only breed contenders in the UFC.
Rabi
4/22/08 12:53:39PM

Posted by GlancyMMA

Yeah, thinning the heard can only make the promotion stronger.

Personally I think they should add the bantam and featherweights to the UFC and use the WEC as a secondary league to the UFC for all weight classes.

Kinda like the Premiere League in soccer. WEC champs work there way into UFC contendership.

Too many losses puts you down the roster and back to the WEC. This can only breed contenders in the UFC.

I think thats a great idea. There is some people in in WEC who should be in the UFC. The first two that jump to mind are Faber and Filho ( when he sorts out his problems).
emfleek
4/22/08 1:11:55PM

Posted by snakeplissken

UFC is expected to make significant talent cuts, as the active roster has grown to 200 fighters under contract to the MMA organization. UFC doesn't run enough shows to keep all the fighters in a regular rotation.

One of the first major casualties was heavyweight Jake O'Brien, a former Purder wrestler. As reported yesterday, Kalib Starnes was also let go.

Despite the impending cuts, UFC did sign Yushin Okami to a new contract.

LINK

Where am I supposed to go after clicking the link?
StevenSeagal
4/22/08 3:18:27PM
Id like to see many of the TUF non winning terds from past seasons get the boot. There are wayyy to many bottom feeder fish floating around in the UFC. The disparity in calibur of fighters is way too much...

Id like the UFC to focus more on accquiring top level talent, rather than making the average trailer trash the next UFC star. Good for drama and soap opera, bad for UFC.

BEFORE THE FLAMING STARTS: Im all about roaming the US and abroad for the top fighters. But once the fight is over and the standouts get contracts. Peace to the Andy Wangs and Rob Emersons....

200 fighters now? cut that to one hundred and use the saved cash on fights and fighters people really wanna see.

Before you reply with "hey dickhead, I think those TUF guys you speak of are exciting to watch"

My reply is: If you step outside the MMA box and see what other fighters that arent with the UFC and their past fights, ull be suprised.

so love? or flame? haha
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/22/08 3:47:45PM

Posted by StevenSeagal

Id like to see many of the TUF non winning terds from past seasons get the boot. There are wayyy to many bottom feeder fish floating around in the UFC. The disparity in calibur of fighters is way too much...

Id like the UFC to focus more on accquiring top level talent, rather than making the average trailer trash the next UFC star. Good for drama and soap opera, bad for UFC.

BEFORE THE FLAMING STARTS: Im all about roaming the US and abroad for the top fighters. But once the fight is over and the standouts get contracts. Peace to the Andy Wangs and Rob Emersons....

200 fighters now? cut that to one hundred and use the saved cash on fights and fighters people really wanna see.

Before you reply with "hey dickhead, I think those TUF guys you speak of are exciting to watch"

My reply is: If you step outside the MMA box and see what other fighters that arent with the UFC and their past fights, ull be suprised.

so love? or flame? haha

all love
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/22/08 3:52:18PM

Posted by snakeplissken

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Chainsaw Charles McCarthy won't be too far behind Starnes...
silverbullet
4/22/08 4:01:21PM
I am not sure why they are not using WEC as an official UFC "farm league". I guess they are afraid people would not watch WEC events because it's considered "inferior" ??

UFC desperately needs two more weight classes. 145lbs is a MUST. Also instead of 170-185-205 make it into four weight classes: 165-175-185-205, something like that.
coldchillin
4/22/08 4:12:15PM
Jorge Gurgel's name came to mind immediately when I read the thread title.

They should seriously consider dropping some of their bottom feeder guys to the WEC and let them compete there against some of the talent. Guys like Gurgel would probably have some really good matches there.

Maybe even Houston Alexander as well... I would love to see Alexander and Brian Stann throw down in the WEC.
xposipx
4/22/08 5:11:14PM
Probably a number of guys from the current TUF season who are considered "under contract" until the show ends. Other than that here are some candidates:

Alan Belcher (young and could use some experience outside the ufc)
David Bielkheden (awful showing against diego)
Kyle Bradley (overwhelmed by Lytle)
Joe Doerkson (got what they needed from him)
Per Eklund (may or may not belongm who cares?)
Rob Emerson (PLEASE let etim dispose of him)
Kuniyoshi Hironaka (1-3)
James Lee (looked awful and his back went out)
Charles McCarthy (got what they needed)
Keita Nakamura (0-3 loss to emerson)
Samy Schiavo (after he gives someone else an easy win)
Pete Sell (seriously, how many chances can you get?)
Jason Tan (if he loses to Kim)

There were also 3-4 more fringe guys. Really, everyone listed could be easily replaced with better talent.
wrona666
4/22/08 6:40:26PM

Posted by silverbullet

I am not sure why they are not using WEC as an official UFC "farm league". I guess they are afraid people would not watch WEC events because it's considered "inferior" ??

UFC desperately needs two more weight classes. 145lbs is a MUST. Also instead of 170-185-205 make it into four weight classes: 165-175-185-205, something like that.

I agree completely, but to the casual fan if there are no known names in the WEC most casual fans are going to shine it off and it's rating would drop drasticly....
StevenSeagal
4/22/08 6:43:15PM

Posted by xposipx

Probably a number of guys from the current TUF season who are considered "under contract" until the show ends. Other than that here are some candidates:

Alan Belcher (young and could use some experience outside the ufc)
David Bielkheden (awful showing against diego)
Kyle Bradley (overwhelmed by Lytle)
Joe Doerkson (got what they needed from him)
Per Eklund (may or may not belongm who cares?)
Rob Emerson (PLEASE let etim dispose of him)
Kuniyoshi Hironaka (1-3)
James Lee (looked awful and his back went out)
Charles McCarthy (got what they needed)
Keita Nakamura (0-3 loss to emerson)
Samy Schiavo (after he gives someone else an easy win)
Pete Sell (seriously, how many chances can you get?)
Jason Tan (if he loses to Kim)

There were also 3-4 more fringe guys. Really, everyone listed could be easily replaced with better talent.

With you all the way dude. Hopefully Zuffa understands this if a bunch of people of an MMA forum can pretty much all come to an agreement
jgtribbett
4/22/08 6:52:09PM
1 PPV and 2 fight nights a lmonth...
StevenSeagal
4/22/08 7:04:35PM

Posted by silverbullet

Good point. Instead of totally cutting their ties with Zuffa, It would be smart for the UFC to take those "feeder fish" that have enough name recognition to draw some views to the WEC. Make it a farm league/ lighter weight organization like Dana is thinking. There should be more open movement between UFC and WEC... That way the potential "feeder fish" that might have done just OK on TUF can at least stay under the Zuffa umbrella in case they become studs. This would help avoid the "fight in UFC or go to some obscure fight org no one knows" mentality.

This wouldnt work for heavyweight feeder fish, but then again, the UFC should prob focus more on filling the UFC properly
prozacnation1978
4/22/08 11:42:06PM
i think the ufc should be the big show and have these lesser under develop guys go to wec like a triple a league in baseball. when they get good call them up, lose who are losing drop them to the wec.