Fighters that would be better in new divisions

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fighters that would be better in new divisions
TS92turbo
3/22/11 11:00:44PM
Jon Jones - Even though he just became champ, his reach is so dominant, that he could manage a few fights at heavyweight.

Fedor - He would be a beast at 205.

Anderson Silva - His 2 fights at 205 are first round KO's. The guy is a machine. Whats left to prove in MW? Okami? Bisping? Wandy? Not really that much.

Rampage Jackson - He has some mean power, and I would love to see him put the whooping on Roy Nelson.

Shogun Rua - I think MW if he can make the cut is a better choice. A FASTER Shogun? Maybe he would have better cardio too.

Kenny Florian - If his 145 debut goes well, sure stay there, but he is a WAY better Lightweight than anything else. Has some sharp elbows.

Dennis Siver - He is gigantic for 155. 170 is his place I think. Sanchez, maybe Ellenberger?

Melvin Guillard - This guy would be a monster at 170. I want to see Siver vs Guillard at 170. Hopefully we can see it at 155.

Nate Marquardt - This guy is one mean 185er. I think he would do pretty well at 205.

Dan Henderson - I would love to see this guy take a punch at HW. Maybe he would get KO'd. What a monster chin

BJ Penn - He needs to go back to Lightweight. Really liked BJ at LW.

Miguel Torres - I feel he would be a sick 155er or even a 145er. Torres vs Edgar or Penn would be a great 155 bout.

Rashad Evans - Hes small at LHW, let him cut down, and he would be a fast, lean, boxing machine. And he would still have his wrestling.

Mirko Cro Cop - He could definitely take a good fight at 205. Lil Nog, Tito, maybe even Bonnar.

Any others? Opinions?
TeamDEY
3/22/11 11:40:25PM
Fedor - IMO def would kill at LHW but I doubt he will ever go

Anderson Silva - Would destroy a lot of people at LHW though I think he is better at MW

Shogun Rua - If Shogun could cut then he would be great at 185

Nate Marquardt - Maybe at Welterweight he would be huge.. I still don't understand how he can make the cut

Rashad Evans - Would love to see him at MW

Thiago Alves - Alves is a beat at 170 but I honestly think 185 would suit him much better. He has a very difficult time making weight and he gasses a lot because his cut is so extreme. I think Middle weight would be better for him.

Anthony Johnson - Same reasoning for Thiago

Diego Sanchez - I like him better at 155

Jose Aldo - Would love to see what he could do at LW

Budgellism
3/23/11 1:44:27AM
This post is replying to the original post.

Jon Jones - Just wait my friend. Jones hasn't fully grown into his body yet. There will be a day where he won't be able to make 205 anymore. His reach and size is something of incredible value right now at LHW. He made Shogun look like a small MW compared to him.

Fedor - Perhaps. His speed was a huge part of his success back in Pride. In his first fight with Herring he was lightning quick and demolished Herring.

Anderson Silva - This one I really agree with you. He's done a lot and beat a lot at Middleweight. And at LHW he looked like a monster. He's happy with Middleweight though and he doesn't have that many years left in him (at least mentally) so I'm happy to see him retire happy.

Rampage Jackson - Jackson wouldn't be a factor at heavyweight. At least not against any top guys. Not this point in his career.

Shogun Rua - He could probably make middleweight but I don't know if he'd ever want to. If anything would send him down to Middleweight it would be a loss like his one to Jones though so you never know.

Kenny Florian - I'm very interested in Florian's 145 pound debut. If he looks good and it looks like he can make the weight cut properly than he could be a HUGE threat down there.

Dennis Siver - I think his size advantage at Lightweight is a good thing. I think he needs it. Going up and being the smaller guy will probably hurt his career dramatically.

Melvin Guillard - Again, I think lightweight is his best choice. He's big but he's not big to a point where he should be at 170.

Nate Marquardt - He could yeah, you're right. Anything but dropping to 170. He's way too small there.

Dan Henderson - Hendo's a small light heavyweight as it is. His career has always been best at 205 in my opinion. He likes being in that weight class.

BJ Penn - Yup. You're 100% right.

Miguel Torres - I'd like to see him at Featherweight. He's solid at Bantamweight but I feel he'd be a much better fighter if he gained some more muscle. He's pretty twig like at 135.

Rashad Evans - I'd like to see it too. Evans could be a big problem for anyone at 185 and he wouldn't get caught in a triangle... Just saying.

Mirko Cro Cop - I'd love to see him fight Lil Nog but this guy is done. The wear and tear he's taken over the years is insane.
AchillesHeel
3/23/11 10:38:16AM
I'll skip my Cruiserweight rant here, and restrict myself to the existing weight classes...

Anderson Silva up to Light-Heavyweight. Not much to add here, except that I would actually prefer to see Silva move up than fight GSP. Call me a heretic, if you want.

Rich Franklin back to Middleweight. I think Silva is the only Middleweight Franklin probably can't beat, and the division has changed a lot since he was El Hombre. He's never fought Sonnen, Marquardt, Maia, Bisping, Akiyama, Belcher, Stann, Leben or Palhares.

Tyson Griffin to Featherweight. He's lost 3 in a row, and 4-out-of-6 going back 2½ years. He beat Urijah Faber 5 years ago, but I don't know what weight-class that fight was in.

Pat Barry and Jon Madsen to Light-Heavyweight. Neither guy is a giant, and I have no idea whether they could in fact make the cut to 205, but I think they should look into it. I don't think either one of them projects as a Top-10 fighter in the UFC (in any weight class), but if they could make 205, I think they'd both be title contenders in Strikeforce's Light-Heavyweight division.
TS92turbo
3/23/11 3:37:35PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I'll skip my Cruiserweight rant here, and restrict myself to the existing weight classes...

Anderson Silva up to Light-Heavyweight. Not much to add here, except that I would actually prefer to see Silva move up than fight GSP. Call me a heretic, if you want.

Rich Franklin back to Middleweight. I think Silva is the only Middleweight Franklin probably can't beat, and the division has changed a lot since he was El Hombre. He's never fought Sonnen, Marquardt, Maia, Bisping, Akiyama, Belcher, Stann, Leben or Palhares.

Tyson Griffin to Featherweight. He's lost 3 in a row, and 4-out-of-6 going back 2½ years. He beat Urijah Faber 5 years ago, but I don't know what weight-class that fight was in.

Pat Barry and Jon Madsen to Light-Heavyweight. Neither guy is a giant, and I have no idea whether they could in fact make the cut to 205, but I think they should look into it. I don't think either one of them projects as a Top-10 fighter in the UFC (in any weight class), but if they could make 205, I think they'd both be title contenders in Strikeforce's Light-Heavyweight division.

Agree about Barry. But Franklin? Hes getting a little old. I would say out of the guys you named, he could beat all but Sonnen and maybe Marquardt. Depends which Nate shows up and which Ace shows up.
emfleek
3/23/11 4:09:22PM
I don't necessarily agree that any of the aforementioned fighters would actually be *better* in new divisions...