Fighters arent Athletes?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fighters arent Athletes?
Sledge23
11/13/08 9:52:49PM

Did anyone see how pathetic the Mir v. Nog soccer shootout was?
It was humourous but it was almost embarrassing. You think that a fighter would have a little more athletic ability.

To all the fighters: What sport did you originate in?

I'm a distance cross country runner.
what about yall?
postman
11/13/08 10:04:56PM
Baseball.
seanfu
11/13/08 10:32:31PM
Wrestling.
Rush
11/13/08 10:50:21PM
Why does it shock you that they wouldn't be good (decent) in any sport? Just because you are athletic doesn't mean you possess the necessary skills needed to play a sport.

You can be an amazing swimmer or hockey player, but would almost certainly appear to have two left feet in a martial art or dancing. The reverse is also the case.

In fact, I am more shocked at the fact that Nog (being Brazilian) couldn't play football well, more so than the fact that he was a MMA fighter. I guess if there are kids in the US that can't catch a baseball or dribble a basketball, then there are kids in Brazil that can't kick a football.
cmill21
11/13/08 11:46:59PM
I played Jr A hockey, dominated soccer, and can play some pretty good baseball, but I suck ass at basketball and if you asked me to drive the ball straight in golf I may be able to do it 1-15. There are other sports i'm terrible at but I think you get the point. Cro Cop for example was a top fighter in K-1 a legend in MMA and he also played pro soccer.
Pskinner_mma314
11/14/08 1:19:06AM
I got my athleticism from football, really helps with takedowns
cowcatcher
11/14/08 9:39:44AM
i started in wrestling in 3rd grade, my uncles were state champs and coached HS, but i played baseball and football too in HS and had a scholarship for baseball on the table. most of the guys ive wrestled with or coached over the years were just brutal at other sports. every year i coached(just came back this year after 4 off and not sure if we are going to do it this year) we arranged a team basketball tourney for the guys and they are hilarious to watch because only a couple can actually play and the rest look like they have some kind of developmental disablilities on the court. so from my experience, most guys that wrestle although in good shape and fairly athletic, cannot play basketball at a middle school JV level.

for the record, i played in 3 on 3 leagues for 5 years after high school at this place(im not bad) called mike hegans grand slam(indoor batting cages, and bball courts) and frank caliendo worked there. during a game one of my teammates who was friends with frank(everyone there was, hes a good guy but he never did impressions so i had no idea he would get famous for that) yelled a swear after getting called for a foul and caliendo ejected him. that was my buddys brush with fame.
Jackelope
11/14/08 9:43:30AM
I always played Basketball and Football as a kid growing up. Once I got into middle school I got into wrestling, then I played football and wrestled through the beginning of high school. Finally, I quit all sports and played "ditch school all the time and be a loser" and now I'm back in school at 26 playing MMA lol
AchillesHeel
11/14/08 10:24:19AM

Posted by Rush

Why does it shock you that they wouldn't be good (decent) in any sport? Just because you are athletic doesn't mean you possess the necessary skills needed to play a sport.

You can be an amazing swimmer or hockey player, but would almost certainly appear to have two left feet in a martial art or dancing. The reverse is also the case.

In fact, I am more shocked at the fact that Nog (being Brazilian) couldn't play football well, more so than the fact that he was a MMA fighter. I guess if there are kids in the US that can't catch a baseball or dribble a basketball, then there are kids in Brazil that can't kick a football.

I know what you mean. I had a friend in high school who was kind of a clutz in just about every sport, but today he's a good, not-quite-Olympic-caliber, fencer. Some people just have a knack for something.

re: Nog and soccer. I often wonder about the place BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA have in Brazil. It could be that those are the sports that attract Brazilians who aren't good at soccer.
americanbulldog
11/14/08 10:34:23AM
I actually gauge athletic ability by how well you can fight. I run with runners who can run 22 miles easily, but when they roll with me they are tired within a min. i can only run really fast for 15 mins. I had a physical trainer who could bench 300 something pounds, he got the bright idea that he wanted to spar. So I beat the snot out of him and choked him out. My trainer (who will remain nameless) had trouble carrying a 20 foot ladder, that i can throw around. But when we roll its me that gets overpowered and tired. Hes 150.

I think fighting is the only way to test complete overall athletic ability. Everything comes into play. Mind,body and spirit are all there. Thats what makes mma so great.

ahhh.....

happy....

starts dreaming about this weekend.....
Rush
11/14/08 11:12:44AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

re: Nog and soccer. I often wonder about the place BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA have in Brazil. It could be that those are the sports that attract Brazilians who aren't good at soccer.

That might be the case. I remember hearing (somewhere) that Brazilians don't like the stigma that they know BJJ. lol

As for me, I played hockey and wrestled growing up. I've never really been exceptional at any sport but I can pick up most things pretty fast.

In response to cowcatcher, I have also witnessed the opposite (about what you were saying about wrestlers.) where varsity football players come in to learn a martial art and literally trip over their own two feet.

It's all about specific muscle memory IMO.

Kracker_Jap
11/14/08 11:18:52AM
I played,

Soccer, Football, and Wrestled in Highschool......
Jackelope
11/14/08 11:25:10AM
This just got me thinking- I'd like to see a professional gymnast try out MMA. I wonder how well it would translate for them. I mean if you think about certain things in BJJ like transitioning for an arm bar from the bottom and how it's all about weight transfer while keeping your hips up it seems like it would translate well. Granted not everything would translate well, but it just got me wondering...

Granted, I'm not a gymnast so I could be way off base LOL. I just think they have really good functional strength and balance
Rush
11/14/08 11:32:37AM

Posted by Jackelope

This just got me thinking- I'd like to see a professional gymnast try out MMA. I wonder how well it would translate for them. I mean if you think about certain things in BJJ like transitioning for an arm bar from the bottom and how it's all about weight transfer while keeping your hips up it seems like it would translate well. Granted not everything would translate well, but it just got me wondering...

Granted, I'm not a gymnast so I could be way off base LOL. I just think they have really good functional strength and balance

I would bet that a yoga practitioner could pick up BJJ faster than a gymnast. The gymnast would have amazing strength and flexibility, no doubt, but the movements look different to me. Kind of like how kicks in dancing are different than kicks in martial arts.
AchillesHeel
11/14/08 11:54:16AM

Posted by Rush

I would bet that a yoga practitioner could pick up BJJ faster than a gymnast. The gymnast would have amazing strength and flexibility, no doubt, but the movements look different to me. Kind of like how kicks in dancing are different than kicks in martial arts.

That made me think of one of my favorite martial arts film stars, Michelle Yeoh. As far as I know, she doesn't know a lick of real martial arts. She's a classically-trained dancer and film stuntwoman, but her skills translate fantastically well to wuxia-style fantasy fighting.

I love the echo at the end. Cracks me up every time.
Jackelope
11/14/08 1:22:50PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Jackelope

I was thinking mostly along the lines of sweeps and setups from the bottom and the use of momentum being similar to floor exercise type stuff.

And yeah, Yoga practicioners always seem to pick up jiu jitsu quick just because of their amazing flexibility and breathing techniques. My cousin is huge into Hatha Yoga and all he does is wrap his legs around people, in some crazy flexible fashion, breathe deeply, let them gas themselves out, and then goes to work
Rush
11/14/08 2:08:40PM

Posted by Jackelope

And yeah, Yoga practicioners always seem to pick up jiu jitsu quick just because of their amazing flexibility and breathing techniques. My cousin is huge into Hatha Yoga and all he does is wrap his legs around people, in some crazy flexible fashion, breathe deeply, let them gas themselves out, and then goes to work

Not just that, but because yoga emphasizes movement with the core
bls1919
11/14/08 7:26:57PM
I wwas really into Football and wrestling.
copcopps
11/14/08 8:34:34PM
Soccer, baseball, was gonna wrestle in Junior High but I broke my nose during tryouts
haggiswashere
11/15/08 12:44:40AM

Posted by Rush
there are kids in the US that can't catch a baseball or dribble a basketball,

*Haggis slowly raises his hand with shame.... I can't at all
jocksmall
11/15/08 10:42:44AM
alot of guys played many sports but alot of guys that make it to the top of mma have had to focus thier time and energy on the different brands of martial arts that combine to make up mma. guys have to learn boxing, bjj, kick boxing, wrestling, submisions , judo and on and on and on. many of these guys spent thier whole childhood in one area and then as young adults they have shored up the other areas. so that is why its not suprising to see a guy who is hw champ not be able to kick a soccer ball. how do you think jordan or kobe would do in a judo match? i grew up playing basketball and wrestling but i am not a fighter im a business owner who likes to train
Wolfenstein
11/15/08 11:49:11AM
My first sport was actually probably Karate and Judo. Parents wanted me to have activities to do because I was a hyper kid. Later on I played some football in highschool, but martial arts were the first.
PeteD
11/15/08 4:29:41PM
As a kid, I played basketball, baseball, soccer, ran track (100m, 200m, 4x100m), thew Discus, and volleyball. In high school - volleyball. College, currently volleyball and cheerleading.
TheHitmanTL
11/15/08 6:14:18PM
football and wrestling

its funny because everything i do i usually suck at .....i.e. dirtbiking. paintballing and everything else haha

im pretty clumbsy too cept when im fighting wrestling or doing jiu jitss
Hendo67
11/18/08 5:12:03PM
I wrestled for quite a while, actually.
Now i play softball.
higdon10
11/18/08 7:51:00PM
Fantasy Football
RampageOwnedYou
11/18/08 9:23:40PM
Baseball and Soccer
telnights
11/18/08 9:32:52PM
Pros vs Joes shows you that PROs are not always good in other sports.