ufc fighter of the year??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » ufc fighter of the year??
« Previous Page
haggiswashere
11/24/08 2:08:57PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Wow, i never realised people had him ranked as high as 7th.

lol for real. Clay Guida and Leonard Garcia were the only notable opponent. It just shows what promoting can do for a fighter....
Aaronno9
11/24/08 2:11:07PM
Yup. Oh well, i take it back then, but i mean really i still think karo and kos where way bigger threats to the title at the time alves beat them than roger was.

Im not trying to take anything away from kenny though, he was a very close second in my mind, not so much for the quality of his opponents, more for how much he dominated what where expected to be very close fights. Same for alves.
bls1919
11/24/08 5:44:20PM
I have to go with Alves. The guy is huge and he has some sick Muai thai. His Ko of Karo and his destruction of Hughes might have been enough, but then to handle Kos.
prozacnation1978
11/24/08 11:00:22PM
i know i might have missed some fighters but my basis was on a 3 fight minum for 2008

diaz is a breakout star i agree

i never did give my order but i had

alves first then florian second followed by maia

i know last year i voted for either anderson silva or huerta for 2007

2009 who knows??

i don't see griffin or mir as a candidate based on one fight
next yeat will all 5 champions hold belts i think there will be 4 belt changes out of the 5 classes with grffin loseing first
BDON911
11/25/08 12:42:24PM
Maia
Hazelett
Alves
jiujitsufreak74
11/25/08 7:57:09PM
anyone who even considered anyone other than Thiago Alves needs to reevaluate this year over again
RedCloud
11/25/08 8:01:14PM
Anderson The Spider Silva

Fighter of The Freaking Year !
The_Ho_Bag
11/25/08 9:45:49PM
Thiago "the pitbull" Alves

and Dustin hazelett, more so Alves then hazelett
Jackelope
11/25/08 10:46:55PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

anyone who even considered anyone other than Thiago Alves needs to reevaluate this year over again

coming from the guy who is normally so vocal about people not making weight this kind of suprises me
Pride-Fighter
11/25/08 11:39:09PM
BJ Penn
Brock Lesnar
GSP
Anderson Silva
Forrest Griffin
Big Nog

Coincidentally they are also champions. They are champions for a reason, they wooped some ass.
prozacnation1978
11/26/08 10:35:17AM
well let me think tim slyvia, matt hughes and lidell are looking washed up in age
who falls from grace this year??
jiujitsufreak74
11/26/08 10:36:29AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

coming from the guy who is normally so vocal about people not making weight this kind of suprises me

i give him slack because he had a legitimate injury that hindered his weight cut.
higdon10
11/26/08 11:53:20AM
I would say Thiago Alves. He has been on a rampage.

As for breakout star, Cain Velasquez and Damian Maia are on top of the list. With Maia probably winning the honor.
pv3Hpv3p
11/26/08 4:31:29PM

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

Karo is a gatekeeper at best, and Alves beat a washed up Hughes over weight. The only win I was really impressed with was the win over Kos in which Kos took on short notice.

Where as Kenny walked right through Stevenson (a top 5 UFC LW) and beat an undefeated Huerta. From my perspective, this looks alot more impressive.

The reason Karo is a gatekeeper is because he lost to Alves... Lol... He was most definitley on 99% of the top ten lists before that fight, and a clean knee strike KO can be called "a walk in the park" just as easily...

It's easy to write Hughes off as washed up, but then what's your reasoning behind Kenny's big wins against Din Thomas? Or Alvin Robinson? Or even Lauzon who's biggest accomplishment is that he KO'd an "on the way out" Jens Pulver (who's lost 3 of his last 4 since that fight) The fact of the matter is Hughes's resume trumps any two of these guys put together...

Stop making excuses... Kos was trained for a fight the a week or two prior that fell throught because of Yoshida's injury... not like he was sitting on the couch eating cheezits...

I'll admit that Florian looks better everytime I see him, but to disregard a guy that's beaten 3 top 10 (maybe even top 5's) in a row is just plain being biased... I dare you to name one other fighter who's beaten competition like that???
MondayNiteMauser
1/31/09 2:52:50PM
Thiago Alves hands down....

or rashad even though i hate him.
imanidiot777
1/31/09 4:48:02PM
OK, hang on a second, I hate Rashad Evans but even I can't help but notice that he is barely mentioned here, if at all. Everyone is praising Forrest so much for some reason, OK he beat Rampage in a close decision. Cool. Rashad viciously KO'd Chuck and then TKO'd Forrest for the title AND he is still undefeated. Those victories are more impressive than Forrest beating an injured and out of shape Shogun and Hector Ramirez since his loss to Keith Jardine.

That said:

HW - Brock Lesnar for obvious reasons.
LHW - Rashad Evans NOT Forrest Griffin!
MW - Maia or Bisping.
WW - Alves no doubt.
LW - Florian no doubt.
Pages: 1 [2]