ufc fighter of the year??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » ufc fighter of the year??
Next Page »
prozacnation1978
11/23/08 7:36:39PM
with only a month left in the year their are a couple fighters of the verge of break out while others are starting to be super stars by nominee's for fighter of the year are

kenny florian

beat lauzon, huerta and stevenson

he is starting to be a superstar

thiago alves

beat three top 10 consensus welterweights in hughes, pariyan and koscheck

lesnar

even though he lost to mir he beat herring and won the belt from couture

michael bisping

beat and has looked very impressive at middleweight with wins over mccarthy,day and leban

last candidate has to go to anderson silva
even though he has had less named opponents he went 3-0 against hendo and cote and moved up and beat down irvin

breakout stars of 2009

dustin hazlett
he is awesome on the ground i think he will break into top 10 next year

damian maia went 3-0 this year
next year he will get his title shot

gray maynard
even though his fights aren't that exciting he really is a bully and force to be had

cain velasquez
i see him making a serious threat to gain the belt

the miller bros

went undefeated in 2008 i see them
jim and dan will be in the top 10 in the ufc by the end of 2009
juanez13
11/23/08 7:48:24PM
For me its a tie between Florian and Thaigo. Lesnar and Maia tied for second.
mrkennedy
11/23/08 7:57:19PM
thiago because i hate florian
nickcuc547
11/23/08 8:06:19PM
Florian and Alves are the top two by far, maia has also had a phenomenal year but he hasn't beaten the guys that florian and alves beat. I may have to give a slight edge to thiago, karo, hughes and kos is slightly more impressive than lauzon, huerta and stevenson in my opinion.

1. Alves
2. Florian
3. Maia
bojangalz
11/23/08 8:39:08PM
I'm sorry, but Lauzan, Huerta, Stevenson can't hold a candle to Kos, Karo, and Hughes. Alves demolished three top-ten WW's this year. Each of them in very convincing fashion. Pitbull is far and away the fighter of the year.

I think Florian's stock has risen just as much as Alves given their respective weight divisions. And that is probably why they are getting mentioned in the same breath so often. But when you look at their opponents, and where they stacked up at the time of each fight it's very clear who had the better year.

*Edit*

Also, I think the real breakout fighter of the year is McLovin'. Everyone who knew JiuJitzu knew that Maia was something special the moment he stepped into the octagon. Maia is as technically sound as a submission fighter can be. Everything is by the book. He's like the teacher's pet: Always has the answer before the question is even asked. You can pretty much tell what's coming with Maia, there's just no way to stop it.

McLovin' is like a mad scientist. Hell, even a virtuoso. What he does is all instinct and improvisation. His armbars come from places I've never seen before. You can't defend what you don't see coming.

I love both those guys, but I gotta give the nod to McLovin' on this one.
iwannabesedated
11/23/08 8:46:48PM
Anderson Silva
Wolfenstein
11/23/08 9:02:17PM
The UFC fighter of the year has to undoubtedly be Thiago Alves for beating 3 of the top ten fighters at WW in convincing fashion.

LW Breakout Star- Kenny Florian
LW Runner up- Gray Maynard

WW Breakout Star- Thiago Alves
WW Runner Up- Dustin Hazelett

MW Breakout Star- Demian Maia
MW Runner Up- Michael Bisping

LHW Breakout Star- Forrest Griffin
LHW Runner Up- Rashad Evans

HW Breakout Star- Brock Lesnar
HW Runner Up- Frank Mir
seanfu
11/23/08 9:18:53PM
Thiago.

Griffin couldve been mentioned if he fought another opponent this year and if he beat(s) Rashad.

Florian beat up the UFC LW division so maybe he's close.

ST Pierre could be mentioned.

Anderson, obviously.
mentalcase
11/23/08 9:45:37PM
Kenny Florian
Thiago Alves
Demian Maia

tepid55
11/23/08 10:14:29PM
I think Anderson Silva is Fighter of the Year, but I think Dustin Hazelett is the breakout fighter for 2008
Twenty20Dollars
11/23/08 10:17:56PM
Kan Flo
gartface
11/23/08 11:45:14PM
Fighter of the Year
1. Florian - I thought it was impressive that he pretty much had a title shot and decided instead of putting himself on the shelf, he took on another top 5 UFC LW and demolished him.
2. Alves - He's very big, very fast, and hits really hard. Aside from BJ he has the best shot to give GSP a run for his money.

Breakout
1. Maia - Hazelett is a wizard but Maia has completely demolished everyone he's gone against.
2. Hazelett
3. Maynard - I actually think that Gray is an exciting fighter, like Clay Guida. I like watching strong wrestlers fight, because instead of LnP they always seem to go for big take downs and/or slams.
haggiswashere
11/23/08 11:57:14PM
In this order

1. Alves
2. Florian
3. Silva
4. lesnar
5. michael bisping

breakout stars

1.damian maia
2.cain velasquez
3.dustin hazlett
4.gray maynard
5.the miller bros
Pookie
11/24/08 4:26:47AM
Alves beat 3 top 10's

Florian beat 0 top tens.

Not even close IMO, Alves is by far the fighter of the year. He went from a 3-1 underdog against Karo Parisyan to the #2 welterweight in the world in 6 months.

Not even close.
cowcatcher
11/24/08 8:19:05AM
this is an easy one for me too, its got to be alves. he went from being a tough opponent for anyone to being the next guy in line for a title shot and as previously said he beat 2 consensus top tens at the time.
Gipper
11/24/08 8:24:14AM
lw- florian, diaz, penn
ww- gsp, alves
mw- silva, maia
lhw- griffin
hw- mir
stock
11/24/08 9:03:54AM
1. Florian
2. GSP
3. Alves
emfleek
11/24/08 10:40:48AM
When I read the subject line, I immediately thought of Kenny Florian. BUT...once I started to read the thread, I found myself agreeing with those who said Thiago.

I say...

1 - Thiago Alves
2 - Kenny Florian
Aaronno9
11/24/08 10:44:27AM
Alves for sure. Breakout fighter of the year to nate diaz or maia.
emfleek
11/24/08 10:53:20AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Alves for sure. Breakout fighter of the year to nate diaz or maia.

I couldn't agree more.
4u2nv
11/24/08 10:55:35AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

The UFC fighter of the year has to undoubtedly be Thiago Alves for beating 3 of the top ten fighters at WW in convincing fashion.

LW Breakout Star- Kenny Florian
LW Runner up- Gray Maynard

WW Breakout Star- Thiago Alves
WW Runner Up- Dustin Hazelett

MW Breakout Star- Demian Maia
MW Runner Up- Michael Bisping

LHW Breakout Star- Forrest Griffin
LHW Runner Up- Rashad Evans

HW Breakout Star- Brock Lesnar
HW Runner Up- Frank Mir

Pretty Much the best way to put it.
stock
11/24/08 12:32:04PM
I am still too pissed about Alves' weight issues in the Hughes fight to crown him with anything.

JBatch
11/24/08 12:57:01PM
ou guys are all mentioning Velasquez but no love for Shane Carwin, this guy is going to be real tough for anyone to handle.
GrizzlyChadams
11/24/08 1:16:26PM
No way does Alves deserve fighter of the year over Florian. You all mention that Alves has beaten higher ranked opponants but he also failed to make weight against one of them. For this reason alone, i'd give it to Florian.
Aaronno9
11/24/08 1:29:52PM
Alves beat 3 for sure top 10 fighters. Kenny beat possibly one depending on how highly you rate Stevenson ( I had him in the top 10). I mean, i was pissed about the weight missing to, but even wins against kos and karo hold more water than kennys wins imo.
GrizzlyChadams
11/24/08 1:43:25PM
Karo is a gatekeeper at best, and Alves beat a washed up Hughes over weight. The only win I was really impressed with was the win over Kos in which Kos took on short notice.

Where as Kenny walked right through Stevenson (a top 5 UFC LW) and beat an undefeated Huerta. From my perspective, this looks alot more impressive.
haggiswashere
11/24/08 1:47:36PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Alves beat 3 for sure top 10 fighters. Kenny beat possibly one depending on how highly you rate Stevenson ( I had him in the top 10). I mean, i was pissed about the weight missing to, but even wins against kos and karo hold more water than kennys wins imo.

Huerta was ranked 9 at the time of there fight. so that is 2 top tens for flo.

Alves is by far more improved though
Aaronno9
11/24/08 2:03:17PM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Aaronno9

I dont think Huerta was even close to being top 10. I think alves 3 opponents where in everybodies top 10, whereas huerta was only in his bandwagons top 10.
haggiswashere
11/24/08 2:05:15PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by Aaronno9

I dont think Huerta was even close to being top 10. I think alves 3 opponents where in everybodies top 10, whereas huerta was only in his bandwagons top 10.

He was on this site....LINK
Aaronno9
11/24/08 2:06:43PM
Wow, i never realised people had him ranked as high as 7th.
Pages: [1] 2