former UFC fighter Ricardo Almeida will be a judge at next week’s UFC on FOX 3 show in East Rutherford, N.J.

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » former UFC fighter Ricardo Almeida will be a judge at next week’s UFC on FOX 3 show in East Rutherford, N.J.
sparky
4/26/12 3:49:42PM
The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board announced Thursday that former UFC fighter Ricardo Almeida will be a judge at next week’s UFC on FOX 3 show in East Rutherford, N.J.

Almeida, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt who fought out of the Garden State and had a UFC record of 6-5, will score the co-headliner bout between Johny Hendricks and Josh Koscheck, as well as a main card heavyweight clash between Pat Barry and Lavar Johnson, according to Sherdog.com.

On a pre-fight conference call Thursday, the two co-main event fighters gave their thoughts on the appointment of Almeida, a New York City native who runs a jiu-jitsu school in Hamilton, N.J.

Link
Poor_Franklin
4/26/12 3:58:49PM
more former fighters should be judges.
DrivenDavies15
4/26/12 4:06:53PM
Cool stuff!
tcunningham
4/26/12 5:02:30PM
about damn time we start seeing this kind of thing.
prophecy033
4/26/12 5:17:45PM
I like this a lot. He knows the difficulty of certain situations and how much effort it takes to not only finish a fight but escape a sub
postman
4/26/12 5:35:47PM

Posted by prophecy033

I like this a lot. He knows the difficulty of certain situations and how much effort it takes to not only finish a fight but escape a sub

I think Ricardo deserves a shot but lets be honest here Fernando Yamasaki is a black belt in both Judo and BJJ and he was telling __________(please fill in the black the fighters name escapes me) to get to work when he was in mount and doing very nice work. I agree a guys background in the sport is going to help but some ppl are just plain not cut out for thoes jobs.
prophecy033
4/26/12 5:47:57PM

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

I think Ricardo deserves a shot but lets be honest here Fernando Yamasaki is a black belt in both Judo and BJJ and he was telling __________(please fill in the black the fighters name escapes me) to get to work when he was in mount and doing very nice work. I agree a guys background in the sport is going to help but some ppl are just plain not cut out for thoes jobs.

I feel have competed in judo and Bjj is a different monster then fighting in MMA. Almeida, imo, is more aware of what's going on.
Bubbles
4/26/12 5:48:05PM

Posted by postman

reffing and judging are 2 separate things. Now I hope more former fighters go this route
postman
4/26/12 6:03:39PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

I feel have competed in judo and Bjj is a different monster then fighting in MMA. Almeida, imo, is more aware of what's going on.

So your telling me a black belt in both of those sports has an excuse for what he did simply because its MMA? Its mount Being a high level player of both sports one would think he should know that even in MMA it is a good thing to be sitting on another mans chest.

Now as to the Refing and judging comment. So What? The talk is more judges and refs need to come from fighting backgrounds. I'm saying that while it will help to improve things its not a cure all. Hell Nick Diaz thinks that fights should be judged on who would win the fight had it kept going, not on who won the fight while it happened. You really want that guy judging your next big time UFC card? Hes a top of the food chian fighter.

Edit:
All I'm saying is don't get too excited that fighters are entering these jobs. Its not going to fix everything
Bubbles
4/26/12 6:13:24PM

Posted by postman

Now as to the Refing and judging comment. So What? The talk is more judges and refs need to come from fighting backgrounds. I'm saying that while it will help to improve things its not a cure all. Hell Nick Diaz thinks that fights should be judged on who would win the fight had it kept going, not on who won the fight while it happened. You really want that guy judging your next big time UFC card? Hes a top of the food chian fighter.

obviously some fighters are better suited than others. Diaz would give zero points to any wrestler who keeps top control. I don't want to see Liddell be a judge either. Matt Serra or Chris Lytle on the other hand would be better suited. Possibly Couture as well.
tepid55
4/26/12 6:35:02PM
I think Almeida will be a verry good judge.
prophecy033
4/26/12 6:47:10PM

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

So your telling me a black belt in both of those sports has an excuse for what he did simply because its MMA? Its mount Being a high level player of both sports one would think he should know that even in MMA it is a good thing to be sitting on another mans chest.

Edit:
All I'm saying is don't get too excited that fighters are entering these jobs. Its not going to fix everything

I'm not sure what you're thinking I'm saying. There should be no excuse for bad calls. What I'm saying is a MMA fighter knows what he's looking at more then someone who hasn't fought in mma. Plus, Yamasaki wasn't judging....Almeida is
postman
4/26/12 6:56:56PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Edit:

I'm not sure what you're thinking I'm saying. There should be no excuse for bad calls. What I'm saying is a MMA fighter knows what he's looking at more then someone who hasn't fought in mma. Plus, Yamasaki wasn't judging....Almeida is

I see what you are saying but are you picking up what I'm putting down? Just because a guy has fought doesn't mean he would be a good judge or ref. I agree it will help but by no means is it going to be a sure thing. And as i said before I think Ricardo will do fine and deserves a chance.
prophecy033
4/26/12 7:09:45PM

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by postman

Posted by prophecy033

Edit:

I see what you are saying but are you picking up what I'm putting down? Just because a guy has fought doesn't mean he would be a good judge or ref. I agree it will help but by no means is it going to be a sure thing. And as i said before I think Ricardo will do fine and deserves a chance.

for me to think Almeida is gonna fix everything would be a grave mistake. What I was thinking and probably should have stated earlier is its a step in the right direction.
Poor_Franklin
4/26/12 8:04:13PM
Almeida will be the best MMA judge ever & there will never be another bad decision in mma ever again
kopower
4/26/12 9:34:01PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Almeida will be the best MMA judge ever & there will never be another bad decision in mma ever again

infestructure
4/26/12 10:00:18PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Unless Cecil Peoples is judging too, they negate each other.
FastKnockout
4/26/12 10:37:51PM
Will he be allowed to judge matches in which his students are competiting? (Ex. Frankie Edgar)
prozacnation1978
4/26/12 10:41:18PM
I like this. I am glad he is one of the judges
He should give Cecil peoples a private lesson
KungFuMaster
4/26/12 11:16:37PM
We can have an all-star judging group and we will still have bad decisions. It's in our nature. I, personally, would rather have a trained group of old guys who do not follow the sport to judge the competition versus a group of judges who do follow the sport such as former referees and former competitors. I know this may not make sense to a lot of you. When you have passionate people e.g. referees and former competitors doing the judging, they are more invested in the sport and more likely to be biased in my opinion.

I don't know if I truly believe this but I thought I would give an 'outside the box' opinion.
Manak
4/26/12 11:30:59PM
the only problem i have with fighter judging is will they let friendships or hatred cloud their scorecards. out side that i think it is good to get educated guys in certain mma disciplines working together to come out with an mma scoring system and have them teach new judges to score fights to eliminate the clouding of scorecards because of a relationship with one of the guys fighting,
bjj1605
4/26/12 11:36:17PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Will he be allowed to judge matches in which his students are competiting? (Ex. Frankie Edgar)

That's the argument for NOT having fighters be judges.

As to the rest of this thread...

Being a fighter doesn't GUARANTEE that you'll be a good judge (Nick Diaz example). But it makes it much more likely IMO.

There's an easy solution. Pick guys like Almeida and don't pick guys like Diaz.
Bubbles
4/27/12 12:22:17AM

Posted by FastKnockout

I believe every event has something like 5 judges that rotate each fight, much like referees. So this shouldn't be a problem
jae_1833
4/27/12 1:07:09AM
This is great!
Pskinner_mma314
4/27/12 1:04:18PM
Too bad the 2 fights he is actually judging probably have only a 20% chance of actually going the distance to even be judged.

I like the call though....and I don't remember who said it but, i think that Lytle and Serra would be phenomonal judges.
george112
4/27/12 1:42:07PM
Seems like its just opening the door for a conflict of interest.

Unless the former fighter is retired and has stopped fighting I dont think it would be a good idea.

Bubbles
4/27/12 9:18:05PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314
I like the call though....and I don't remember who said it but, i think that Lytle and Serra would be phenomonal judges.

that would be me
Pookie
4/27/12 9:25:41PM
You can't judge a fight with anyone thats affiliated or communicates with you in any way.
Poor_Franklin
4/28/12 1:53:35PM
I wonder how he scored Frankie's last fight.....