Fighter Rankings and Kid Yamamoto

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fighter Rankings and Kid Yamamoto
Kazmierz21
2/25/07 2:04:33PM
Interesting observation - how is Kid Yamamoto ranked #9 on the pound for pound rankings list and yet he's only #7 for his own weight class? He's behind guys like Gilbert Melendez and Mach Sakurai in his weight class and those guys don't make the P4P list - I know he's real impressive but if we don't think he's better then these guys who aren't in the top 10 pound for pound should he really be included in that list too
AchillesHeel
2/25/07 2:32:55PM
Probably because he usually fights at 145, and isn't really a Lightweight, per se. The rankings here don't include Featherweight or Bantamweight or whatever, presumably because PRIDE and UFC don't have guys fighting at 145.
hippysmacker
2/25/07 5:41:37PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Probably because he usually fights at 145, and isn't really a Lightweight, per se. The rankings here don't include Featherweight or Bantamweight or whatever, presumably because PRIDE and UFC don't have guys fighting at 145.

Yeaf , what he said. Still, Kid is such a stud that he still is a top 10 lightweight in most peoples books , and the #1 featherweight.
fourstar
8/24/07 1:33:14AM
Kid fights at 145 but he usually fights people who are at 155, so none of that surprises me. Mach or Milendez would probably give Kid a lot of trouble saying they are a lot better than the fighters Kid fights at 155. I think he should be in the top pound for pound list though.
TOMMYAYO05
8/24/07 1:42:04AM
I dont know about everyone else but i have him at like number 2 or 3.I think its because he is not a known name YET.Only the hardcore mma fans know that hes the SHIT.
sakurabaforever
8/24/07 2:48:43AM
Yamamoto is my #1 lightweight and #1 p4p. No one probably agrees with me, but I just can't see the guy losing other then by cut (his current only loss). Many say he's not proven but no one hits as hard as he does. Incredibly fast, well rounded, and a phenomenal athlete. He's definitely underrated by most.
TOMMYAYO05
8/24/07 2:50:43AM

Posted by sakurabaforever

Yamamoto is my #1 lightweight and #1 p4p. No one probably agrees with me, but I just can't see the guy losing other then by cut (his current only loss). Many say he's not proven but no one hits as hard as he does. Incredibly fast, well rounded, and a phenomenal athlete. He's definitely underrated by most.

I agree with you man he is arguably my number 1 lightweight and like my number 3 0r 4 p4p.
richieb19
8/24/07 2:51:05AM
This is all I have to say about rankings, you can disagree with me all you like:

Until there is a mathematical system to determine rankings (one which I am currently working on), there is literally no point in debating rankings as they are all subjectively generated by popular vote, and are never based on the same criteria.