UFC fighter Jacob Volkmann's latest suspension lifted, though rules now stricter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC fighter Jacob Volkmann's latest suspension lifted, though rules now stricter
FastKnockout
2/1/12 4:06:51PM
UFC lightweight Jacob Volkmann said he followed the rules – to the letter – when he said President Barack Obama needed a "glassectomy," even after being placed on paid administrative leave a second time by the high school that employs him as a part-time wrestling coach.

Now, the rules are a little bit stricter.

Volkmann was taken off administrative leave from White Bear Lake High School today after a meeting with school administrators.

LINK
scoozna
2/1/12 4:49:23PM
I like following this story. It's interesting to me because it seems like a free-speech issue, but it's really an employment issue. It's like the news items where people go on Facebook and blast their boss, their company, or co-workers. Often that ends badly too.
Budgellism
2/1/12 5:04:41PM

Posted by scoozna
It's like the news items where people go on Facebook and blast their boss, their company, or co-workers. Often that ends badly too.

Horrible decision in this day and age.
scoozna
2/1/12 5:32:24PM
It's a really interesting problem though. How "free" is your speech when you cannot say what you like on FB/Twitter, on your own free time, on your own computer. I see the conflict and why an employer would want to terminate, but I wrestle with whether there is much of a real difference between that and someone saying the same things at a party or some other social gathering.

Budgellism
2/1/12 5:42:27PM

Posted by scoozna

It's a really interesting problem though. How "free" is your speech when you cannot say what you like on FB/Twitter, on your own free time, on your own computer. I see the conflict and why an employer would want to terminate, but I wrestle with whether there is much of a real difference between that and someone saying the same things at a party or some other social gathering.

It's ridiculous really. Why should my social network be the top priority of my potential employer? I've recently had to go through my Facebook and delete hundreds of pictures depicting me in illegal situations. We were all kids once, why the hell should that be reason to not hire someone? The internet is supposed to be the ultimate form of free speech but it's turning into something people can use against you.
Bubbles
2/1/12 6:49:13PM

he thinks it will be a fun fight with Dunham until he gets his face smashed in.
Travesty145
2/1/12 7:13:05PM
its simple, once u sign a ufc contract u r also signing away ur opinion as well
warglory
2/1/12 8:16:02PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by scoozna

It's ridiculous really. Why should my social network be the top priority of my potential employer? I've recently had to go through my Facebook and delete hundreds of pictures depicting me in illegal situations. We were all kids once, why the hell should that be reason to not hire someone? The internet is supposed to be the ultimate form of free speech but it's turning into something people can use against you.

Well when you are a teacher, the rules are different for etiquette in particular.
Budgellism
2/1/12 11:45:27PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by scoozna

Well when you are a teacher, the rules are different for etiquette in particular.

That's one profession. I'm going to be in the design field and this is apparently the number 1 thing they are checking when they are hiring.
airkerma
2/2/12 9:32:16AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by warglory

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by scoozna

That's one profession. I'm going to be in the design field and this is apparently the number 1 thing they are checking when they are hiring.

The issue here isn't free speech. It's the life and soul of comedy. Nobody who makes a joke that stupid should be free from some form of retaliation. Just like Carlos Mencia, he told/stole crappy jokes and then he got served in front of his own audience by Rogan. Now maybe if Volkmann tried some knock knock jokes first...
emfleek
2/2/12 9:36:54AM
Freedom of speech doesn't necessarily mean freedom from consequences.
emfleek
2/2/12 9:38:02AM

Posted by airkerma

Just like Carlos Mencia, he told/stole crappy jokes and then he got served in front of his own audience by Rogan.

I've only recently become aware of this...is it on video anywhere?
gartface
2/2/12 9:43:07AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by airkerma

Just like Carlos Mencia, he told/stole crappy jokes and then he got served in front of his own audience by Rogan.

I've only recently become aware of this...is it on video anywhere?

Here you are, sir!
emfleek
2/2/12 9:48:33AM

Posted by gartface

Here you are, sir!

Awesome. I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks, Tim!
scoozna
2/2/12 10:45:02AM

Posted by emfleek

Absolutely true - as we're seeing it played out with Volkman. He's being pretty crafty. He's agreeing to their terms, signing on to whatever they want him to commit. But he's also saying he's still going to send the message he wants to send. Essentially, if I've read him right, he's going to keep on saying stuff, he's just going to say it differently.

So he's engaging in this game of how far can I go, how far can I push it. He has a pulpit and, like it or not, he wants to use it. I also wonder if the school that employs him would have taken any action if someone hadn't complained. And how many complaints was it - one? two? a whole bunch?

Maybe I'll start a poll on whether Rogan gives him a post-fight interview next time
machodog76
2/2/12 1:18:16PM

Posted by emfleek

Yep just ask The Dixie chicks, Hank Williams Jr, that guy who played Kramer, War Machine etc. The more public your profession is the more you should think about what you say/write in a public forum. And for all the kids who take pictures of yourselves smoking weed and post them on your facebook, you're idiots. Someday you may need a job.