Which Fighter in UFC History Had the Best Debut?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Which Fighter in UFC History Had the Best Debut?
Next Page »
Ultimate_fighter
8/1/07 10:14:40PM
Ur Thoughts?
DevonFoxy
8/1/07 10:26:58PM
Joe Lauzon
This man comes in, not one man has him picked to win and the only reason he is brought in is to be demolished to welcome back Jens. The man was supposed to be knocked out in the first round and he ends up knocking out Lil Evil in the first round. I expect big things for this guy and I'm driving his Bandwagon until the wheels fall off and what ever else happens to a wagon when it brakes happens.
He gets my vote.
loller90278
8/1/07 10:27:55PM
royce gracie..
peachfuzzz1305
8/1/07 10:29:27PM
Houston Alexander

no one thought he would win

postman
8/1/07 10:34:01PM
He was a suprise for sure but how about Rich Frankiln?
the-james
8/1/07 10:41:40PM
Anderson Silva!
ocho-cinco
8/1/07 11:15:58PM

Posted by peachfuzzz1305

Houston Alexander

no one thought he would win

good call, he won with an explosion.
Manfred
8/2/07 12:23:18AM
Vitor Belfort: Back then everyone was still pretty one dimensional and he was introduced as a Carlson Gracie disciple but comes out and (T)KOs Tre Telligman and Scott Ferrozzo.
Ultimate_fighter
8/2/07 12:36:05AM
I think Anderson Silva made quite the impact in the UFC when he beat Leben in less than 1 minute... then went on to fight the Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin,and won within 3 minutes.... Now he is the champ...
richieb19
8/2/07 12:48:20AM
The answer is Dan Severn over Macias.
kevietre
8/2/07 1:15:37AM
Rampage's debut earned him a title shot in which he won the championship. He wasnt over impressive over Eastman but his debut led to bigger things.
Ultimate_fighter
8/2/07 1:24:54AM

Posted by kevietre

Rampage's debut earned him a title shot in which he won the championship. He wasnt over impressive over Eastman but his debut led to bigger things.

Yea true... i did like Rampage's debut more than Anderson Silva's... pretty much a streetfight between rampage and eastman
hippysmacker
8/2/07 1:43:19AM
I guess when I think debut I think young unknown fighter to the hardcore fan, and after the MMA was established. . So that would rule out the Anderson's /Severns/Royce/ type guys. In Pride Sokoudjou was the most amazing. In the UFC I would have to say DonFrye at UFC david vs Goliath.
1)He knocked out Thomas Ramirez, a 400 pound bouncer local favorite guy

2)then Sam Adkins also in the first minute

3) then Goodridge who in his first fight of the night had the most brutal Ko ever , flopping Herrera's head around with elbows in a crucifix. Anyway he stopped him in abot 2 minutes too, but Goodridge looked tired from his second round matchup
ac_gi
8/2/07 2:24:31AM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Joe Lauzon
This man comes in, not one man has him picked to win and the only reason he is brought in is to be demolished to welcome back Jens. The man was supposed to be knocked out in the first round and he ends up knocking out Lil Evil in the first round. I expect big things for this guy and I'm driving his Bandwagon until the wheels fall off and what ever else happens to a wagon when it brakes happens.
He gets my vote.

My vote would probably be Joe as well. Very exciting. Joe wasn't fighting some no name, he was fighting a former champion. He was the no name and he made his presence felt. Good call.
JuggaloWarrior878
8/2/07 2:40:01AM
Frank edgar he shocked a lot of people with that win tyson
Rush
8/2/07 11:20:23AM
Too many to pick just one

Off the top of my head

Royce Gracie
Severn
Gary Goodridge
Tank Abbott
Mark Kerr
Cro Cop
Vitor Belfort
Tito Ortiz
Jow Lauzon
Elvis Sinosic
Carlos Newton
BJ Penn
Frank Shamrock
Jason MacDonald
Mike Swick

Good debuts that don't get enough credit
Patrick Cote
George St. Pierre

Worst debut for a quality fighter
Wanderlei Silva
mrsmiley
8/2/07 2:32:11PM
Off the top of my head I would have to go with Kimo.At the time everyone thought Royce Gracie was invicible.Then comes out this tattooed,cross bearing,muscle monster who shoots at the first UFC champion like a ball of energy and gives him all he can handle.Royce won the fight,but due to Kimo's unorthodox fighting style,and extreame agression,he kept Royce from competing the rest of the night.Royce even ripped Kimo's pony tail from his scalp and the guy kept coming at him!

Fights like that just don't happen anymore.
SpiderSilva
8/2/07 7:55:54PM

My uncle talked with Royce after the fight and he said he could even see after that fight Kimo was one powerful mofo
Gotta go with Royce Gracie UFC 1 he change the way people trianed for mma fighting man no one would have picked that litte guy
Too bad he ******* up his career now(steroids and even coming out to fight Hughes was VARY stupid and he proved it)
nubby
8/2/07 7:58:31PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

My uncle talked with Royce after the fight and he said he could even see after that fight Kimo was one powerful mofo
Gotta go with Royce Gracie UFC 1 he change the way people trianed for mma fighting man no one would have picked that litte guy
Too bad he ******* up his career now(steroids and even coming out to fight Hughes was VARY stupid and he proved it)

I don't think it ruined his career to fight hughes. But steroids, man that was dumb.
Aether
8/2/07 8:13:32PM
I don't think he really had a career left to ruin honestly. He's a legend and no one can deny what he did for the sport, but the new wave of fighters has outgrown him and he can't really be competitive anymore. I'm sure he could still open a gym and have people flock to him for training regardless of the steroid incident. If he was going to use them at all, he probably picked the best possible time. Everyone was pretty shocked, but I think most people also didn't care a whole lot because he's really at the end of his career.
tepid55
8/2/07 9:01:16PM
I think it's either Marco Ruas (UFC 7) or Mark Coleman (UFC 10).
Cobbs666
8/2/07 9:10:32PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Off the top of my head I would have to go with Kimo.At the time everyone thought Royce Gracie was invicible.Then comes out this tattooed,cross bearing,muscle monster who shoots at the first UFC champion like a ball of energy and gives him all he can handle.Royce won the fight,but due to Kimo's unorthodox fighting style,and extreame agression,he kept Royce from competing the rest of the night.Royce even ripped Kimo's pony tail from his scalp and the guy kept coming at him!

Fights like that just don't happen anymore.

ya royce won that fight like a woman pulling hair the whole time
kimoron
8/3/07 4:29:51AM
joe lauzon
anderson silva
houston alexander
frank edgar
and i think the best losing effort has to go to cote
Mastodon2
8/3/07 8:41:18AM
Ive gotta say Joe Lauzon, he came out against Jens Pulver, I was sitting thinking "Who is this pony with the huge ears, Jen's is gonna wreck him", but then imagine my amazement as Joe started to throw hands with Jens, started getting the better of him, then KO'd him!

Blew me right out of my living room and into the goddamn street, it was such a good fight!
jomatty
8/3/07 9:03:29AM
gotta be royce at ufc 1. noone opened peoples eyes like that ever before, i remember watching that and just being amazed. up until that point i thought the real badasses were doing jumping high kicks and stuff like that, but in one night royce showed the world that if you dont know how to deal with it there is no better way to destroy opponents than bjj.

a lot of other guys made great debuts but i dont think anyone can really compare. if you approach it from a different angle and are only looking for a hl reel ko then others could be considered. i don however think that a guy who lost could be considered the best debt ever so that eliminates a guy like kimo in my book.
warglory
12/2/07 1:18:26AM
Definitely Royce Gracie. That man single handedly changed the fight world forever. Yeah, he didn't do anything that surprised BJJ practitioners at the time, hell, he wasn't even a top Gracie! However, he was the representative that changed the sport. So props to him.
TimW001
12/2/07 2:13:10AM
Fujita had a good debut the second time he came back (Against Fedor)
Franklinfan47
12/2/07 9:52:01AM
Houston Alexander, that was insane!
fullerene
12/2/07 11:39:06AM
I guess I'm not counting Royce as a debut or he is the obvious winner.

I like the choice of Vitor Belfort. People were talking (including boxing trainer Al Stankie) about Vitor being a champ in boxing and in MMA based on how impressive he looked boxing in MMA. In retrospect, the KO of Tra Telligman looks pretty good since Tra beat up Igor and had a bit of a run as a pro boxer.

One name I haven't seen yet is Maurice Smith. His first fight in the UFC was for the HW title and he won it. Not only was it an upset, but it was the first time the HW title had been won by a "striker" instead of a "grappler" and the grappler he beat--Mark Coleman--was undefeated and looked like he'd be staying that way for as long as he wanted to.
Boo_Radley21
12/2/07 2:15:18PM
When I read that question the only person that came to mind for me was Joe Lauzon. Came in and KO'd Pulver like it was nothing. Nobody expected that.
Pages: [1] 2