Former UFC fighter Hermes Franca sentenced to 42 months in prison for sexual abuse of underaged student

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Former UFC fighter Hermes Franca sentenced to 42 months in prison for sexual abuse of underaged student
« Previous Page
tmas
1/7/12 12:53:59PM
ill say a few things.

multiple counts or charges does not mean more then 1 girl it means they can hit you with multiple offenses of breaking the law. For instance if you have sex with someone underage they can throw, rape, stat rape, unlawful pen, if young enough molestation, etc etc etc there are a lot of little laws people dont know about that can get them time behind bars in adition to the bigger ones. so it could still be 1 girl 1 time.

also ill say everyone loses themself sooner or later and everyone makes mistakes, what he did is horrible ( i was raped myself when i was 11 years old) but we all as humans make mistakes, it doesnt make him a perv or a bad person necessarily (although it might). From what it sounds like to me Hermes went crazy for a little while had a lot of demons and did stuff he shouldnt have and seems to regret....now if its multiple times then i say he is lost to me and may just be a bad person and perv... non the less i dont like what he did its not cool.

there are also other things to ask some 14 year olds look way older did he know her age? (probably) but that could still be a crime...also there are provisions in the law that say if you are someone in a postion of power a teacher (which he was), a police man, coach, etc etc, that you cant have sex with someone under 18 because you could be using your influence, and in some cases could be in a way like your not gonna get any training, im gonna make it hard on you, b la bla bla....
ncordless
1/7/12 1:47:50PM

Posted by tmas

ill say a few things.

multiple counts or charges does not mean more then 1 girl it means they can hit you with multiple offenses of breaking the law. For instance if you have sex with someone underage they can throw, rape, stat rape, unlawful pen, if young enough molestation, etc etc etc there are a lot of little laws people dont know about that can get them time behind bars in adition to the bigger ones. so it could still be 1 girl 1 time.

also ill say everyone loses themself sooner or later and everyone makes mistakes, what he did is horrible ( i was raped myself when i was 11 years old) but we all as humans make mistakes, it doesnt make him a perv or a bad person necessarily (although it might). From what it sounds like to me Hermes went crazy for a little while had a lot of demons and did stuff he shouldnt have and seems to regret....now if its multiple times then i say he is lost to me and may just be a bad person and perv... non the less i dont like what he did its not cool.

there are also other things to ask some 14 year olds look way older did he know her age? (probably) but that could still be a crime...also there are provisions in the law that say if you are someone in a postion of power a teacher (which he was), a police man, coach, etc etc, that you cant have sex with someone under 18 because you could be using your influence, and in some cases could be in a way like your not gonna get any training, im gonna make it hard on you, b la bla bla....

If I had to hazard a guess (an educated guess as I have friends in Clakistan DA and kind of know how the system works there) you are right in thinking that this was probably one 14 or under girl, possibly even one time. From the plea, you can guess that among the 9 charges were rape, molestation, exposing to a minor, etc. The plea got rid of most of the consent charges. My guess is there was at least a reasonable question of whether there was consent. It wouldn't matter in a legal sense because of the girl's age, but would have been a tougher sell to a jury. Ultimately, they would have brought all nine and let the jury decide which ones to stick him with. Oregon has some brutal sex crime sentencing resulting from ballot initiatives over the years. Hermes was probably looking at tens of years if he was convicted of one or more of the offenses, and the plea is actually a fairly light sentence considering sex abuse alone gets you a minimum of 6 1/2 years if convicted. The prosecutor didn't get him near as bad as he could have if he'd decided to take him by the balls, which tells me that the facts were not heinous enough for the prosecutor to decide to take Hermes for a ride and make him go to trial.

I disagree that his actions don't make him a bad person. He is admitting to penetrating some under the age of 14. I think everyone would agree that is wrong. People are defined by their actions, in effect is not what is one the inside, but rather what you do, that counts. It does sound like he has some personal demons, but succumbing to them doesn't lessen the evil of the act. It doesn't mean that he can't, by his actions, try to atone for what he did, and it doesn't mean that he can't turn himself around and possibly be a good person someday. there will always be some stigma. Hermes is gonna get end up in the pen for 2 years, and he is going to be be a registered sex offender for the rest of his life. He'll be lucky if he can avoid being homeless when he gets out, and he will never teach again. But as of now he is a bad person until he changes that fact through his actions, in my opinion. Do I want to see him get raped? No. His life is ruined as it is, and I don't do eye for an eye so much as doing it the old fashioned way of society taking away his liberty. But I don't have an ounce of pity for him either. He is totally responsible for his actions. No excuses.

It also doesn't matter if he didn't know how old she was (although as a jits instructer you'd think he would have some idea how old his students are), he had the affirmative responsibility to make sure she was of age if he wasn't aware. People don't get to have sex with children as long as they don't know how old they are.

Sorry to hear about your own abuse, and thank you for speaking frankly and honestly about it. Mad respect for any victim of sexual abuse who can speak openly about it.
DoTheMMAth
1/7/12 4:27:46PM
I've seen 17 year olds that look like hot 19 year olds. Just sayin'.
KungFuMaster
1/7/12 4:34:20PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

How did your trial go?
KungFuMaster
1/7/12 4:36:28PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by warglory

Wow guys, maybe you should wait for the facts to come out before crying for the man to be raped in prison.

Well, usually when a person agrees to a plea bargain, it is usually because he or she is guilty. Would you agree to a plea bargain if you never committed the crime? There are some sensitive civil and abuse/harassment cases where the defendant may choose to plead guilty to avoid a heftier punishment but I doubt this is the case.

This is a serious charge and if Franca did not commit the crime, there should be no reason for him to plead guilty. My gut tells me he got off easy.

This is not always true. There are circumstances where a man may realize that the police have enough evidence to pin the conviction on him, even if he didn't do it. So that person will accept the plea in order to avoid a harsher sentence for something they didn't do. They may be innocent, but they determine the risk of being found guilty in a trial isn't worth it. It's a sad fact about our judicial system.
Now, in no way am I saying this is the case here. I don't know. I don't know any details. But it's not out of the ordinary that Hermes would take the plea bargain because he knew defending himself at trial would be impossible, whether or not he did it.

I think you just misread me or I was not clear.
Kpro
1/7/12 4:53:00PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

To be fair, the Roman calendar had 10 months, not 12. So 15 is really 18.
grappler0000
1/7/12 5:46:08PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

There are also plenty of 19 year olds that look like hot 17 year olds.
ncordless
1/8/12 11:32:58AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DoTheMMAth

There are also plenty of 19 year olds that look like hot 17 year olds.

I wait until they start going gray just to be sure.
Pages: 1 [2]