Fighter of the Decade?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fighter of the Decade?
Taylor8766
12/23/09 5:27:27PM
I was just thinking about the qreat accomplishments that some of the great fighters have achieved over the last 10 years and I was wondering who you guys thought was the most impressive fighter of the whole Decade, in any fighting category. ie.(MMA, Boxing, etc..)
karn501
12/23/09 5:33:32PM
couture no one else comes close f the decade greatest fighter ever not my fav but easily the greatest
Copenhagen
12/23/09 6:00:44PM
My top 5 in no order.

Pacquiao
Fedor
Chucky
Mayweather
Couture

Hopkins honorable mentions.
fullerene
12/23/09 8:27:23PM
1. Manny Pacquiao
2. Buvaisar Saitiev
3. Fedor Emelianenko
4. Cael Sanderson
5. Bernard Hopkins
grappler0000
12/23/09 10:51:35PM
Fedor hands down.

Puncher of the decade would be quite different though. I know when you say fighter of the decade, we include boxers, but if you're going to include a single discipline, why not consider top submission artists, wrestlers, or kickboxers? Kind of silly to me.
sbulldavid
12/23/09 11:04:15PM
Fedor has beaten more champions and has the best record in MMA.
tcunningham
12/23/09 11:43:15PM
Fedor for sure. randy is definetly a close second. most impressive fighters of the decade but in very different ways
ncordless
12/23/09 11:48:09PM

Posted by karn501

couture no one else comes close f the decade greatest fighter ever not my fav but easily the greatest

I like Randy, but I don't see how someone could say that his accomplishments this decade are greater than Fedor's.

Both are great, but Fedor has always dominated whereas Randy has had his share of setbacks.
karn501
12/24/09 12:32:32AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by karn501

I like Randy, but I don't see how someone could say that his accomplishments this decade are greater than Fedor's.

Both are great, but Fedor has always dominated whereas Randy has had his share of setbacks.

because randy never stops showing that you cant count him out no matter how old he gets fedor in all aspects is the better fighter but randy is more impressive he's the first fighter in history to show age isnt an object he's the most decorated fighter in mma history the question wasnt who's the best it was who is most impressive its expected that fedor will win his fights everyone keeps wondering when age will catch up with randy and he keeps shocking the world over and over again fedor is a monster randy is a legend who doesn't look up to him people can argue but i wont waver randy is the greatest
TimW001
12/24/09 12:37:26AM
Fedor

jiujitsufreak74
12/24/09 1:23:23AM
Pacquiao? really? allow yourself to remember the whole decade, from 2000-2009. i think Manny might rank high on a few people's list because of recent memory, i honestly don't think he has the body of work across the decade nor the big names on his record to make him the best fighter.

anyway i would say Fedor would be the fighter of the decade. he knocked off the big names, he has the win streak across the decade, he's the only MMA fighter to hold a top ranking for as long as he has and seems to be the only fighter who was consistently great for all 10 years.
submissionartist1
12/24/09 1:35:42AM
Chuck Norris
Drudinh
12/24/09 5:32:31AM
1 Fedor
2 Penn
3 Randy
4 GSP
5 Hughes
cmill21
12/24/09 5:34:17AM
1. Fedor 2. Schilt.
fullerene
12/24/09 8:52:53AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Pacquiao? really? allow yourself to remember the whole decade, from 2000-2009. i think Manny might rank high on a few people's list because of recent memory, i honestly don't think he has the body of work across the decade nor the big names on his record to make him the best fighter.

Pacquiao's best wins were at featherweight, not welterweight. IMO, his biggest win was in 2003 when he beat Barrera who was heavier and generally ranked in the top 2-3 p4p in the world.

He won the flyweight title in 1998, upset Ledwaba for a 122 pound belt in 2001 and he's been in title contention at one weight or another throughout the entire decade.
fullerene
12/24/09 8:58:25AM

Posted by cmill21

1. Fedor 2. Schilt.

I thought about having Schilt and Arona in my top 5. They made it to the top in their primary sports (K-1 and sub grappling) and did good work in MMA, too. But 5 guys across all combat sports in a decade--well, that's a tough list to crack.

I think people are sleeping on guys like Sanderson and Saitiev. They probably won over 200 matches in a competitive sport with only a handful of losses during the decade. Some of the names people are throwing out only won 10-15 times.
postman
12/24/09 11:37:17AM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by cmill21

1. Fedor 2. Schilt.

I thought about having Schilt and Arona in my top 5. They made it to the top in their primary sports (K-1 and sub grappling) and did good work in MMA, too. But 5 guys across all combat sports in a decade--well, that's a tough list to crack.

I think people are sleeping on guys like Sanderson and Saitiev. They probably won over 200 matches in a competitive sport with only a handful of losses during the decade. Some of the names people are throwing out only won 10-15 times.

Sanderson was who I thinking two.
jiujitsufreak74
12/24/09 12:41:48PM

Posted by fullerene

Pacquiao's best wins were at featherweight, not welterweight. IMO, his biggest win was in 2003 when he beat Barrera who was heavier and generally ranked in the top 2-3 p4p in the world.

He won the flyweight title in 1998, upset Ledwaba for a 122 pound belt in 2001 and he's been in title contention at one weight or another throughout the entire decade.

but he hasn't dominated the way Fedor has dominated, or rather i should say he hasn't dominated against top quality competition (in regards to the top competition that used to be prevalent in boxing) the way Fedor has. maybe it is because i am not as proficient in boxing knowledge as i am with MMA knowledge, but it just seems like boxing has been "emptier" in terms of talent in comparison with its past. good points though, and i apologize if my tone came out condescending, it was really more of a baffled tone since i didn't know your reasoning.
fullerene
12/24/09 1:35:42PM

Posted by fullerene

but he hasn't dominated the way Fedor has dominated, or rather i should say he hasn't dominated against top quality competition (in regards to the top competition that used to be prevalent in boxing) the way Fedor has. maybe it is because i am not as proficient in boxing knowledge as i am with MMA knowledge, but it just seems like boxing has been "emptier" in terms of talent in comparison with its past. good points though, and i apologize if my tone came out condescending, it was really more of a baffled tone since i didn't know your reasoning.

HW MMA had less stiff competition than FW boxing during the 2000s and it's not even close. HWs in every combat sport--boxing, kickboxing, MMA, wrestling--are harder to find and generally less talented and conditioned. It's a big asterisk on any individual's dominance if that is the division they compete in and following MMA closely I'm sure you'd have to concede that many of Fedor's opponents were not highly skilled and were flat out outmatched.

On the contrary, It was one of the greatest FW periods in boxing ever, filled with future HOF fighters and Pacquiao fought the best three of the bunch--Morales, Barrera and Marquez--multiple times getting the better of each series as well as knocking off guys like DLH, Hatton, Cotto, Ledwaba and Larios. Boxing overall over the last decade has had a modern high-point in terms of talent in many weight classes, in particular the 126/130 and 140/147 divisions. Manny has beat everyone who mattered in the first group and he is off to a good start beating the guys who are still around in the latter one. I think people might not realize how much talent there is out there because little of it is American and little of it is consequently covered by the American media. But the influx of Eastern European fighters since the fall of the Soviet Union and the rise of boxing in SE Asia has more than made up for this in the lighter weight classes--maybe in the heavier ones, too, although that's debatable. A lot of the nations that are producing top boxing talent--Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama, Thailand, Japan, The Phillipines--have their best fighters in the weight classes that Manny Pacquiao has fought in.
BustedKnuckle
12/25/09 9:20:33PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by cmill21

1. Fedor 2. Schilt.

My vote is for Fedor. But Cael Sanderson is the best wrestler hands down and most likely a better coach. WAR PSU wrestling. Let that man recrute for 2 yrs and PSU will have multiple National Champions
CwB
12/28/09 4:31:03PM

Posted by fullerene

To me in Boxing, Mayweather is more deserving of the decade title then Pac Man. Floyd has a way of dominating everyone...

MMA It would have to be Fedor...

then we have fighters like Hughes, Liddell, Wandy who have fallen short recently but were all very dominate for long periods of time throughout the better half of the decade.

Also Couture Deserves an Honorable Mention for everything he has accomplished, even with his losses taken into consideration
mrsmiley
12/29/09 6:37:10PM
I have to say Sakuraba hands down.
The past few years haven't been kind to him and he's not a title holder but I think what he represents is much bigger than what a title signifies in certain aspects.