What fighter can take the most damage and keep going?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What fighter can take the most damage and keep going?
Mitchell740
4/2/08 2:46:41PM
As cliche' as my opinon is, I think Fedor.
Gimmefive
4/2/08 2:50:20PM
I've seen Patrick Cote take a lot of big shots and stay on his feet. He's the first guy that popped into my head.........uh, no pun intended.
jiujitsufreak74
4/2/08 2:50:32PM
probably Big Nog. after i saw him survive those Fedor beat-downs and even his fight with Tim Sylvia where he weathered the storm and locked in his submission is a clear example. i have seen this man endure more punishment and still WIN...nevertheless keep going so imo he is definitely the man for this argument.
juanez13
4/2/08 2:55:00PM
Fedor should be there IMO, But Big Nog takes the cake for sure....
doesnt matter what he gets hit with (sylvia's right hand, Mirko Left kick, Sapp slams, Herring's kick) he never gives up, and is willing to take punishment to be able to get into a better position, and seems to always find a way to win, with the exception of Fedor, thats because Fedor never stops, Never thinks he has it till that bell rings, or the ref steps in, but most seem to think they have it won, than they let their guard down a little,and its almost a guarantee that Nog is gonna take advantage of it.

Honorable Mentrions: Rampage, Wandy, Griffin.
Mastodon2
4/2/08 3:18:36PM
Mark Hunt. Even though he never took that much damage in his MMA fights, his K-1 fights against Jerome Le Banner showed him to have just about the hardest head on the planet.

As far as regular and current MMA fighters go, Nogueira is about as tough as they get. People wallop him until it looks like he couldnt possibly have any fight left, then he comes out of nowhere and submits them. Unless he fights Fedor of course, then he just gets walloped!
juanez13
4/2/08 3:22:53PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Mark Hunt. Even though he never took that much damage in his MMA fights, his K-1 fights against Jerome Le Banner showed him to have just about the hardest head on the planet.

As far as regular and current MMA fighters go, Nogueira is about as tough as they get. People wallop him until it looks like he couldnt possibly have any fight left, then he comes out of nowhere and submits them. Unless he fights Fedor of course, then he just gets walloped!

Yea, His fight with sefo was nuts too (also another tough SOB). Hunt is willing to take shots so that he can get inside.
Mayhem13
4/2/08 3:32:53PM
Nog
Wanderlei
Jorge Gurgel
waylon_o
4/2/08 3:44:57PM
Oleg Tektarov, Cabbage, Big Nog
seanfu
4/2/08 3:45:53PM
Big Nog, Chris Leben, Forest Griffin, Dan Herderson, and of coarse head of steel Hunt.
Pookie
4/2/08 3:57:54PM
Hunt, Nog, Bj Penn, and anybody who is samoan.
Mchubb316
4/2/08 4:25:00PM
Big nog. Seems like every fight he gets rocked, but regains himself and comes out with the win.
three_days_of_grey
4/2/08 4:40:21PM
Sean Salmon, Bo Cantrell, Ken Shamrock.

Seriously though, I would say Clay Guida, Stephen Bonnar, Big Nog, Gabe Gonzaga, Chris Leben, Randy Couture, and Nick and Nate Diaz.

-OUT-
Mitchell740
4/2/08 4:47:20PM

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Sean Salmon, Bo Cantrell, Ken Shamrock.

Seriously though, I would say Clay Guida, Stephen Bonnar, Big Nog, Gabe Gonzaga, Chris Leben, Randy Couture, and Nick and Nate Diaz.

-OUT-

Guida would have my vote, but not after his last fight. I would have to actually say Shamrock can take a hit though, at least in his day. Look back at Tito vs. Ken 1, Ken's face was swollen to hell yet he kept fighting.
Pookie
4/2/08 4:51:05PM
Gonzaga? really
Rush
4/2/08 5:07:13PM
I'm going to take a different approach to this question and say

Kazushi Sakuraba

This guy may not take as much damage in a fight as Hunt or Nog, but I think that he is one of the few fighters that have kept fighting with accumulative damage to his body over the years.

Mitchell740
4/2/08 5:11:22PM

Posted by Pookie

Gonzaga? really

If it comes to damage over the years two men win, Bas Rutten and Frank Shamrock.
jomatty
4/2/08 6:32:25PM
big nog
hunt
liddel
dan henderson

and oleg taktarov as my old school selection
Pookie
4/2/08 6:34:07PM

Posted by Rush

I'm going to take a different approach to this question and say

Kazushi Sakuraba

This guy may not take as much damage in a fight as Hunt or Nog, but I think that he is one of the few fighters that have kept fighting with accumulative damage to his body over the years.

very true, look what arona did to him
I.E. my avatar
Rush
4/2/08 8:05:41PM

Posted by Pookie

very true, look what arona did to him
I.E. my avatar

I was also thinking of his vertebrobasilar damage that restricted blood circulation to the head and neck area from untreated head injuries.
skinnator
4/4/08 5:10:24PM
You have about every single mexican fighters and Koppenhaver is on the list too.
bls1919
4/4/08 7:43:51PM
Big NOG, Fedor, Mark Hunt, Cabbage Correria, Wandy
Taylor8766
4/4/08 11:09:02PM
CABBAGE, that guy can take a beating
NatedawgThaM
4/4/08 11:52:27PM
I got to say Wandy. Every fight he is in is a freakin slugfest. he faces the hardest hitter in the world and slugs with them for several minutes non-stop.

He follows that vicious Chutebox mentality, you got to take one to give one!