UFC fighter Chris Leben arrested for DUI

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC fighter Chris Leben arrested for DUI
Next Page »
Twenty20Dollars
5/1/08 12:13:39AM
Chris Leben, who recently signed to fight Michael Bisping at UFC 85, was arrested in Oregon on Wednesday for driving under the influence and was placed in jail for violation of his probation, according to the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office.

As of late Wednesday evening, Leben remained behind bars.

A representative from the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Leben will go before a judge at 3 p.m. on Thursday. It was determined upon his booking that he was not eligible for bail because of the probation violation, according to the representative.

Leben (18-4 MMA, 8-3 UFC), 27, most recently defeated Alessio Sakara in March at UFC 82. After Chuck Liddell was forced to pull out of a UFC 85 main-event bout with Rashad Evans, the UFC booked fights between Leben and Bisping, as well as Matt Hughes and Thiago Alves. The popular fighter found his way to the UFC via the first season of the UFC reality series, "The Ultimate Fighter."

There's no word how and if the arrest may impact his June 7 fight with Bisping.

Link
Rush
5/1/08 12:14:06AM
I thought he quit drinking
Twenty20Dollars
5/1/08 12:15:21AM
That's what I thought, but crap he just screwed up big time. I thought he was getting his stuff back together and was becoming a contender again.

Hopefully this doesnt effect the bisping fight.
LaosPowerHouse
5/1/08 12:31:20AM
i knew this guy was no good as soon as i layed my eyes on him.
Manak
5/1/08 12:35:44AM
A DUI is Driving under influence which usually refers to drugs; a DWI is driving while intoxicated. so he was on some sort of drug which is stupid since he is not only on probation but a pro athlete
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/1/08 12:39:53AM
Why? Because he was CAUGHT drinking and driving. 25% of the US population drinks and drives, that doesn't make them bad people...it just means they made a bad...and incoherent decision.
GrandMaster313
5/1/08 12:46:33AM
Wow this sucks I hope he has a good lawyer is this his 2nd? what was he on Probate for in the first place?
jay98107
5/1/08 12:47:44AM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Why? Because he was CAUGHT drinking and driving. 25% of the US population drinks and drives, that doesn't make them bad people...it just means they made a bad...and incoherent decision.

It doesn't make them bad people? Tell that to the families of the thousands of people killed by drunk drivers every year.
emfleek
5/1/08 12:56:58AM

Posted by Manak

A DUI is Driving under influence which usually refers to drugs; a DWI is driving while intoxicated. so he was on some sort of drug which is stupid since he is not only on probation but a pro athlete

It doesn't "usually" refer to drugs. I've known quite a few people that have gotten picked up for DUI's.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it's (driving under the influence of ALCOHOL) referred to as a DUI more often than a DWI or an OWI.
loller90278
5/1/08 1:00:06AM
lets be honest, who didn't see this coming..
emfleek
5/1/08 1:00:22AM
And I think it's rather stupid to assume someone is a bad person simply because they were driving while intoxicated.

I suppose you've never made a mistake before?
GrandMaster313
5/1/08 1:00:56AM
dont forget OUIL
prozacnation1978
5/1/08 1:06:10AM
he will be in jail still for the june fight, maybe one of his buddies can tivo the fights for him!!!!
kevietre
5/1/08 1:06:48AM
It's the wrong thing to do but at least no one got hurt right?

RIGHT!

So let's move on and hope that the fight still happens. I can see Bisping bringing this up and talking smack about Leben. Let's just hope he doesn't pull a David Heath and wear Leben's mugshot on a t-shirt.

throwmeahotone
5/1/08 1:14:00AM

Posted by loller90278

me lol that smiley looks like he just sharted
candynuts
5/1/08 2:08:09AM
He violated probation with this DUI, so I'll be shocked if he remains on the UFC 85 card.
SmileR
5/1/08 2:17:06AM
**** people who drink an drive! I hope bisping beats the crap out of him!
jakeiceman
5/1/08 2:45:58AM
Comin straight from LEO right here, DUI doesnt mean that "he was probably on drugs" very nice try though. Even if this was a second offense and a violation of his probation, he will still likely be able to fight so everyone should chill. And as far as saying the 25% of people have driven under the influence its more like 70 to 80 %, its a shithead thing to do and there is no excuse for it, but yes good people do make mistakes. I expect him to still be on this card but I guess it all depends on his judge. I am lookin forward to him knocking out Bisping so I sure as hell hope he is.
EON
5/1/08 3:07:43AM
Damnit Leben I was counting on you to KO Bersbing ,this sucks

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

It's definatly higher than 25% ...more like 50%

Posted by jay98107

It doesn't make them bad people? Tell that to the families of the thousands of people killed by drunk drivers every year.

I see were your coming from but It's possible to drink and drive successfully ya know, its the idiots who drive too drunk or have no experience doing it that get into accidents. Every state / providence in North America has a different blood alcohol limit from the strictest (0.02) to the most lenient (0.20) whos to say whats "too drunk" it depends on the idiot driving the car.
CornishMMA
5/1/08 7:46:28AM

Posted by SmileR

**** people who drink an drive! I hope bisping beats the crap out of him!

this is a damn shame cos i really liked Leben and wanted him to beat Bisping but now will have to go the other way on that one

People who drink and drive deserve to crash and kill only themselves, some of the posts on this thread are a joke! just cos alot of people do it doesnt make it anymore acceptable ffs!

Posted by EON

I see were your coming from but It's possible to drink and drive successfully ya know, its the idiots who drive too drunk or have no experience doing it that get into accidents. Every state / providence in North America has a different blood alcohol limit from the strictest (0.02) to the most lenient (0.20) whos to say whats "too drunk" it depends on the idiot driving the car.

Retardation ................... ANY is too much ffs! you dont have to feel drunk to be impaired, its all about reaction times, and if they do have an accident they always run like cowards!
DCRage
5/1/08 7:48:28AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Manak

It doesn't "usually" refer to drugs. I've known quite a few people that have gotten picked up for DUI's.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it's (driving under the influence of ALCOHOL) referred to as a DUI more often than a DWI or an OWI.

It could also be DUI because he may have had a certain blood alcohol content above the legal limit (usually .02), but below the level needed to be charged with DWI (usually .08 or .10 depending on the state).
saemskin
5/1/08 8:22:40AM

Posted by Manak

you've got that wrong. DWI is a term citizens made up and is not used by law inforcement.
DUI is the term that is used for any/all forms of impaired driving.

"under the influence" can mean alot of things though.
saemskin
5/1/08 8:24:07AM
oh, and I forgot to mention that my father, his current and his ex wife all are/were police.
DevonFoxy
5/1/08 9:38:11AM
See I understand on the comments on how he is not a bad guy but this isn't the only mistake Leben has made so I think Leben should be reprimanded pretty hard on this one.

I don't know whats going to happen to the UFC 85 bout as he violated his probation and I'm pretty sure he needs to get permission in order to go over seas while on probation so this could get interesting fast.I could be wrong I've never been on probation but I remember something in having to get permission to leave the state you live in so the country would be a big no no i think with out permission.

With all that said I guess its not too hard to put Dan Henderson in Leben's place.....come on UFC give Henderson this fight!!!
browneye
5/1/08 9:38:36AM
i hope leben gets his act together and kicks some british ass
jdp1975
5/1/08 9:41:17AM
before u guys judge him, lets see what happens. some of you like the kid before you heard this and how many of you knew he was on probation, i didnt but i still like him as a fighter. besides the cops might not like him in his home town and followed him from where ever he came from just to mess with him. so dont bash him if you dont know what happened.
Tein_Lung
5/1/08 10:05:08AM

Posted by saemskin

Posted by Manak

you've got that wrong. DWI is a term citizens made up and is not used by law inforcement.
DUI is the term that is used for any/all forms of impaired driving.

"under the influence" can mean alot of things though.

you are wrong to... it actually varies state to state as to what they call it.... its the same thing just a differnt accronim
Darnok
5/1/08 11:09:49AM

Posted by loller90278

Maybe he is trying to be a younger skinier Tank
Leland
5/1/08 11:25:43AM
He shouldn't be scolded for a DUI thats his own dumb decision quit judging him. Anyone no matter who can get a DUI from going out to a restaurant and drinking 1 beer. Dont get me wrong drinking and driving is plain stupid. His mistake. Theres no reason to disown the guy over this though. He's still a hell of a fighter, no matter what decisions he makes in his personal life. And I cant wait to see him drop Bisping :)
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/1/08 12:03:25PM

Posted by Manak

i got a DUI for drinking. different states go by different rules
Pages: [1] 2