Becoming A Fighter

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Becoming A Fighter
UnknownFighterXL
3/8/12 2:41:28PM
Hello Everyone,
I'm pretty new here and just had some questions in regards to the sport and ran across this site.

But let me again and tell a little about myself.
I am 23 year old game developer (self employed) and have been relatively athletic and active most of my life. I've grown up playing football and did wrestling for 2 years in high school. I've also done power lifting during off season of football but lifted weights year round.

I also should state that I have been pretty much inactive for the past 4 years and it has taken its toll on my body. I've gained close to 60 lbs since I graduated from high school. (sitting at almost 240 and was a lean 180 when graduating) Now I never intended to become utterly lazy since I graduated but it kind of just happened. This is due to my line of work, getting into a serious relationship and becoming a father.

My work life consists of me waking up and spending most of my day working on my next project. (and spending time with my wife or son) Admittedly I probably would have a lot more time to use for other things if I were more productive. (rather then surf the net or watch T.V) The money I make is very good but every since beginning this I have found that I miss doing sports and being active (a lot).

Over the past several years I have become increasingly interested in MMA. It began when just out of high school I went to watch a friend in his first MMA fight. Although it didnt go well for him ive always wondered what it would be like for me to get into the sport myself. Not to mention ive spent a lot of time watching fights and becoming familiar with the sport.
Now I know that its one thing to watch the sport and something completely different to be in it. So I know its something that wouldn't be easy.

Let me just get to the point. I'm looking into getting involved and seeing if its something for me. I personally think I would love it (based on my experience and love for other sports ive done)

Let me get to the actual questions:

1. Where is a good place for me to start? I think it would be wise to lose all this extra weight and get into shape. Which may be a battle in itself. So maybe some pointers there?

2. What kind of weight lifting/training should I look into?

3. How much time should I expect to use on training everyday?

Sorry ive become rushed towards the end but I will be back to post some more questions. Would love to hear everyones feedback and some personal experience if they have any.

I appreciate all responses.

FastKnockout
3/8/12 3:46:57PM
We have a couple of the members here on the forums who are amateur fighters and can probably point you in the right direction but if I were you I'd search your area for Mixed Martial Arts gyms and ask some of the people there. It shouldn't be hard to find one near you considering MMA is the fastest growing sport and gyms are popping up like wild fire.
UnknownFighterXL
3/8/12 5:53:33PM
Ill definitely do that. So far im just trying to collect information, but I am fairly certain there is a gym a town over.

Main thing im worried about is not being able to balance everything.

I want to be able to do all the training, work and still have time for the wife/kids.

Bubbles
3/8/12 6:39:14PM
there is a sub forum right under this one "MMA Training" that probably has some topics to help you out.

are you looking for a gym to train and work out or to become a fighter? If you dont plan on being a fighter, then I dont think you need to commit 6 days a week to it so there will be time to spend with your family
UnknownFighterXL
3/8/12 6:59:49PM
Hello,
I noticed and have looked through the training forum. There are definitely some good things there and will continue to look. I am wanting to try my hand at the sport. The way im looking at it is I want to do one fight and see if its for me. Although its possible I could decide before hand that its not. (I do not anticipate that happening though) I also understand this could be a good 1-2 years before I could even be anywhere close to ready as well.
KungFuMaster
3/8/12 9:13:33PM
I don't train but I do have extensive knowledge on game plans. If you ever want to hear my advice about game plans, just hit me up and I'll do my best to give you solid pointers on game plans.

Welcome to the site and I hope you stick around.
Malaussie
3/9/12 1:14:18AM
Funny you ask because i was in the exact situation as you i am 23 and started training MMA about 3 months ago. Before I joined the gym i was about 6 years removed from competitive sports and fairly out of shape. I joined straight up and do mostly Jiu-Jitsu classes. The first few lessons I was gassed pretty bad at the end but after a couple of months i'm getting lean again and my fitness has improved a lot and this is from only going 2-3 times a week. My MMA gym has a strength and conditioning coach and my guess would be most MMA gyms will have one as well. It isn't that hard once you get passed the first 2 lessons. I'm thinking of fighting in a couple of years but I know I will need to train more often before I seriously consider competing. Hope this helps you! Good luck.
tcunningham
3/9/12 1:49:45AM
as for starting, i think you just need to check out your local gyms and see what their schedules are like as well as the price. if those things work out for you then you need to look to see if they offer any kind of cardio class, and what kind of work outs they do (hard, grueling, easy, etc). if you are 60lbs over weight, a cardio class should help you get back in shape before you start sparring. you may find that you need to do a few months of cardio on your own before you sign up to any kind of MMA gym. you dont want to over do it right off the bat.

as for weight training, my question for you would be, "can you juggle weight training, MMA training, a job, and a family. you may need to weight train 3 days a week and do MMA 3 days and rest 1 or something like that. i do alot of explosion excersises, core work, cardio (swimming, running, srpints, mits, etc), and things like squats cleans deadlifts and snatches. remember that if you plan on fighting at say 185lbs that you need to be walking around at less than 200lbs so having big huge muscles can easily work against you. i fight at 170lbs and i walk around at 185lbs.

now, the question of time. i tell people that this sport is not for the people that just want a hobby. im not saying its not a hobby, im just saying that if you dont take it absolutly serious and put as much time into as you can, there is a much greater chance of getting your ass beat. between fights i train at least six days a week with cardio and weights before work and MMA training in the evening. i only lift weights 3 to 4 of those days so i dont burn myself out. as i enter my training camp about 6 weeks out from a fight i move that up to 7 days a week and slowly reduce my weight training while adding cardio.
UnknownFighterXL
3/9/12 2:46:15AM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the responses.

@KungfuMaster: Yea I would appreciate any advice I can get. Feel free to pm me or just message me here.

@Malaussie: I was actually leaning towards Jiu-Jitsu as what I wanted to train in myself. Once I begin I also dont expect to do any fighting (atleast competitively) for 1 and a half to 2 years.

@tcunningham: Ive got a gym in mind that an old friend runs. (the one I spoke about that I went to watch, was my first mma fight) Im trying to get a highschool buddy to come along with me. Its something we have both wanted to try for awhile.

I like the idea of doing cardio by myself for a few months but have no idea where to start. I dont want to burn myself out, but I also want to have results. Weight wise I would like to be around 170 myself. I think that would be an ok goal two years from now.

Im also fairly confident that once I get in the loop of working out it will be hard to keep me away. (how I was during power lifting and football) If this becomes something I am positive I want to do then I will no doubt be training everyday. (or 5-6 days a week)

I think I may be able to manage all the training along with work in family. I will just have to be super productive. Plus im self employed so hours are kind of my own. I would like to squeeze in 8 a day for work, 4 for training, and the rest for family/sleep. Does that sound like it could work? May have to begin starting the days earlier (before 8am).
jjeans
3/9/12 7:54:20AM
I trained Kickboxing for 5 or 6 years then recently I moved to Wales where Kickboxing and MMA are harder to come by, however I found a spot in Wales to train Kickboxing and realised how good my instructor was before I moved, what I learnt in 5 years there woulda taken me years and years to learn at the new place but I gutted it out did some interclub competitions in the 6 months I was there and put them and there 1 year old club to shame haha.

But when I did my first out of club competition and got screwed out of a decision that really made me stop wanting to train Kickboxing and from then on I started training MMA, however it is mainly wrestling based being in the UK wrestling is a key area, we train all the drills every British Fighter needs to know and our record as a Welsh fight camp is incredibly high, the club is growing but recently they've had 21 pro fights with 19 wins! Despite the fact that's only come from 9 people thats still not too bad.

But basically I come from a striking base and surprisingly enough I am one of the very few in the class who is a striker I thought they'd be more coming from the UK etc, but the pro's etc all swarm at the opportunity to spar with the strikers as they get tooled but it's what they need to do to improve and because of that reason a few of the pro's quickly befriended me and started trying to speed teach me everything I need to know as they didn't want me to train with the newbies, as wasn't really new to combat like the others.

If you come in with a base I think its a lot more beneficially as people can learn and you can coach, going into MMA with a base is also more beneficial as when the fight starts getting tough you have an instinct of where you want that fight to take place and what you want to do to get it there, for me its working on my Takedown Defence and working submissions from the bottom if you start training MMA right away you will try to learn everything without knowing what you really want to do and you'll end up like Forrest, Rich Franklin, Mac Danzig etc etc, who can expose your weaknesses and play gameplans out to expose weaknesses but when they start getting hurt they don't know whether they wanted to keep the fight standing, be on top, work from the clinch as they know everything about everything but excel at nothing spectacular.

Definitely don't get turned off though, its just a very very tough sport and you will get punched and hurt a lot, my first 3 sessions I attended I came with scars bruises etc but my body quickly adapted, so make sure you can take the pain!

Lastly if you have a wife and son make sure they want you to do it, I know they should want you to have fun etc, but family are incredibly important and don't forget that!

Anything else you wanna ask PM me or post on this thread!

1. Where is a good place for me to start? I think it would be wise to lose all this extra weight and get into shape. Which may be a battle in itself. So maybe some pointers there?

Just go down, find an MMA gym and show up and try out just to see if you like it, there's no harm in going just once a week to begin with.

2. What kind of weight lifting/training should I look into?
For now just look to do it as a way to keep fit and keep active, MMA training will take 9 months-18 months before you get a fight or will be in good enough shape or experience to fight I'm afraid! This shouldn't be rushed! Find any local MMA shows and watch how many fighters will win by guillotine to understand what I mean!

3. How much time should I expect to use on training everyday?
For now once or twice a week training MMA maybe 2-4 hours a week and going to the gym for once or twice a week as well will help, but at the beggining don't just force it, getting in shape and jumping straight into things won't be the best solution!

Don't look at the finish line yet, I know you want to be a fighter but right now just sit back start training, meet people who do train and have fun!!! Without any real combat background it might take a while to get in the swing of things, but never lose this passion you have to want to be a fighter!!
UnknownFighterXL
3/9/12 12:34:42PM
@jjean: Thanks for the reply. Yes I dont plan to rush into this at all. Im really looking forward to the training aspect since ive been there before with weight training and wrestling. (and it did alot of great things for me) Pain wise I think I can handle it, Mainly because I played football my entire life. Im not saying its the same thing but its not necessarily a walk in the park either. I still showed up for practice every day and started at middle line backer all through high school.

Sadly when I wrestled I wasnt 100% into it and didnt take as much as I wish I would have looking back now. As ive become older I have surprisingly been more willing to learn new things and have been absorbing more since ive got out of the "party stage". I attribute it to me quitting binge drinking that most highschool kids do these days.

But once I begin training I dont expect for anything to happen for about 2 years.
cowcatcher
3/9/12 3:14:40PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I don't train but I do have extensive knowledge on game plans. If you ever want to hear my advice about game plans, just hit me up and I'll do my best to give you solid pointers on game plans.

Welcome to the site and I hope you stick around.

My advice is don't take advice from people that don't train or fight. Everybody is a great armchair QB, but if you really want to learn anything go to someone with credentials.

No offense, KFM, but to say you can game plan without any combat sports experience and then offer it to someone that wants to learn is detrimental to that person. I'm not sure if you were just being sarcastic, in which case my post is irrelevant, but if you weren't really think about whether you should be giving advice on game planning when you've only done it from the armchair position.
UnknownFighterXL
3/9/12 10:13:33PM
Yea I didnt think of it that way. Im thinking about training for a little bit at home to get in shape. Then advancing to a gym once I have dropped a little weight. What do you guys think would be the best thing to do to lose weight and get in better shape overall? Also what kind of food/amount of calories/carbs should I be eating?
Just some advice would be great! I would appreciate it greatly to be pointed in the right direction.
bjj1605
3/10/12 1:06:25AM
Depending on where you live, I can point you in the direction of some great Jiu Jitsu based MMA gyms.

I'd also say, don't bother trying to get in shape BEFORE you go.

I know a guy who had a similar situation as you. He had a baby and gained as much weight as his girlfriend. Except she got to give birth and get rid of the weight. He kept it.

So he joined Team Curran and he lost 40lbs in about a month or two.

All you really need to do is shop around for some gyms, find one you like, and start training.

To begin with 2-3 days a week is enough. 2-4hrs each day you train. Just don't push it too hard in the beginning and burn yourself out.

I can't even tell you how many guys I've seen quit in their first six months.

Also, don't go in with an ego and don't expect to be good for at least a year. If you want to do this then you need to be willing to get your ass kicked...a lot...in the beginning at least.

Good luck. Train hard. Let us know how it goes.
UnknownFighterXL
3/10/12 11:03:59AM
Yea I expect to get my ass kicked a lot for awhile, but I wont give up. Thats something im bringing from football. I want to get good at least for myself and don't care about winning initially. But it would be nice to be good 1-2 years from now.

I know it takes skill and heart to be good and since i haven't been in a real fight since high school then I don't really expect to go in kicking ass and taking names. And that fight wasn't anything special. He hit me with a blunt object to the back of my head and I turned around and repeatedly hit him and then left the room to cool off. Lasted about 15-20 seconds and wasn't like a real fight. Just a cheap shot in which he regretted.

Jiu Jitsu is what I was wanting to train in. Not sure if there any gyms around here since its a small town. I may have to drive 15 minutes to get to a larger city. Could be difficult with how gas prices are.
bjj1605
3/10/12 4:47:49PM

Posted by UnknownFighterXL

Yea I expect to get my ass kicked a lot for awhile, but I wont give up. Thats something im bringing from football. I want to get good at least for myself and don't care about winning initially. But it would be nice to be good 1-2 years from now.

I know it takes skill and heart to be good and since i haven't been in a real fight since high school then I don't really expect to go in kicking ass and taking names. And that fight wasn't anything special. He hit me with a blunt object to the back of my head and I turned around and repeatedly hit him and then left the room to cool off. Lasted about 15-20 seconds and wasn't like a real fight. Just a cheap shot in which he regretted.

Jiu Jitsu is what I was wanting to train in. Not sure if there any gyms around here since its a small town. I may have to drive 15 minutes to get to a larger city. Could be difficult with how gas prices are.

Ya I'm not saying that you'll be bad forever, lol.

But go in expecting to get worse before you get better. When I roll with guys who have NO jiu jitsu they do better than guys who've been training for about 2 months.

At 2 months you start to give up your bad habits/instincts but you don't really have anything to replace it with yet.

Actually the more willing you are to play the game and listen to what people tell you (rather than trying to muscle your way through because you're concerned with winning) the faster you'll learn.

Remember, every time you tap out you learn something new. "Oh, if I put my neck there I get choked out."

What area do you live in??

Its fine if you're not comfortable saying. I was just wondering if I can recommend a place.
UnknownFighterXL
3/11/12 12:44:51PM
Hello,
I actually did a google search and have found a school about 4-5 minutes away. All the others are in bigger cities about 25-30 minutes away. I think ill look into this and see if its worth going to.