MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fight of The Year so Far
POLL: fight of the year so far
Shamrock vs. Le 14% (8)
Hansen Vs. Alvarez 24% (14)
Jackson vs. Griffin 29% (17)
Alvarez vs. Kawajiri 33% (19)
Polcop
7/27/08 12:39:05AM
IMO it comes down to these four as of yet.
wolfman
7/27/08 12:41:49AM
Good first post! Props to you. I have to go with Alvarez/Kawajiri.
FrankTheTank1181
7/27/08 12:43:01AM

Posted by wolfman

Good first post! Props to you. I have to go with Alvarez/Kawajiri.

juanez13
7/27/08 12:43:17AM
I think Alvarez Vs Hansen takes the cake, because it was a war everywhere it went, from submission attempts to knockdowns, it was a true display of what MMA is.

I think Maeda Vs Torres should also be included, as I would rank it above all 3 other choices, But Hansen Vs Alvarez is my ultimate choice.
wolfman
7/27/08 12:45:29AM

Posted by juanez13

I think Alvarez Vs Hansen takes the cake, because it was a war everywhere it went, from submission attempts to knockdowns, it was a true display of what MMA is.

I think Maeda Vs Torres should also be included, as I would rank it above all 3 other choices, But Hansen Vs Alvarez is my ultimate choice.

Yeah, can't believe I forgot about Maeda/Torres! I was close to going with Hansen/Alvarez though. You could also throw Faber/Pulver in the mix.
DiabloFreak56
7/27/08 12:47:51AM

Posted by juanez13

juanez13
7/27/08 12:49:39AM
The reason i pick Hansen vs Alvarez above all is because of how diverse the fight was, It was a complete war, like every other fight mentioned, but above that it was very diverse, transitioning from the ground to standing, it was beautiful. Although the other fights were great, they were more less diverse, and thats why i gave the edge to Hansen Vs Alvarez.
telnights
7/27/08 12:51:39AM
There has been a lot of great fights this year to name a few off the top of my head just from the UFC.

Dustin Hazelett vs Josh Burkman
Gray Maynard vs Frank Edgar
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Tim Sylvia
Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson
Nathan Diaz vs Kurt Pellegrino
Demian Maia vs Ed Herman
B.J. Penn vs Sean Sherk
Goran Reljic vs Wilson Gouveia
Kracker_Jap
7/27/08 12:52:14AM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by juanez13

Yeah, can't believe I forgot about Maeda/Torres! I was close to going with Hansen/Alvarez though. You could also throw Faber/Pulver in the mix.

but I do that alot (so don't feel special)
DoTheMMAth
7/27/08 1:28:14AM
Great list besides the Shamrock / Le fight... for some reason Frank really got under my skin on that one.
Gipper
7/27/08 4:39:13AM
the 4 1/2 rounds of lawler/smith
bojangalz
7/27/08 11:09:05AM
Alvarez/Hanson takes the cake. I have never cheared so loud for two guys I didn't know. I didn't even care who won, I just wanted the fight to go on forever! It was brilliant on every level.

That fight got me hooked into DREAM immediatly, and is one of the reasons why I think the UFC should be worried about the second coming of Pride.
jiujitsufreak74
7/27/08 12:52:09PM
imo, it was Hansen vs Alvarez. that fight had every dimension to it: great stand up exchanges, great ground positioning, a high pace and it went back and forth. Alvarez vs Kawajiri comes in second, but not by much. the only thing is that Alvarez vs Hansen was a 15 minute war where as the Kawajiri fight was a nice KO after a great exchange. i guess it comes down to what you prefer, a KO after a 7 min war or a 15 war that could go wither way. i personally like the latter and thus i feel that Alvarez vs Hansen was the fight of the year so far.
prozacnation1978
7/27/08 1:19:16PM
in ufc it should be griffin vs rampage
Cdellorso
7/27/08 3:12:20PM
Penn-Sherk
mrkennedy
7/27/08 6:41:34PM
Torres vs Maeda 1#
Alvarez vs Kawajiri 2#
Ruthless vs Scott Smith(1) 3#
masodd
7/27/08 7:36:41PM
I thought Diaz vs Denny was awesome last night its hard to choose
Mayhem13
7/27/08 8:29:44PM
Torres vs Meada was my favorite of the year so far.

telnights
7/27/08 9:48:18PM
I still really shocked Faber vs Pulver didn't make the TS list.
DevonFoxy
7/27/08 10:54:09PM

Posted by telnights

I still really shocked Faber vs Pulver didn't make the TS list.

I think that fight was great but was Overshadowed by the Maeda Vs Torres. It was a great fight with high intensity but the torres fight was better imo.

Personally for me the winner is Maeda Vs Torres and I've seen both Alves fights but the Torres fight was my personal favorite thus far this year.
KYGUY07
7/28/08 12:12:31PM
gotta go with jackson vs griffin, or maeda vs torres
The_Ho_Bag
7/28/08 2:41:21PM
i was gunna say chuck vs wandy but that was last year =[

wandy vs jardine =)-i loved that jardine got KTFOed
emfleek
7/28/08 2:44:46PM

Posted by masodd

I thought Diaz vs Denny was awesome last night its hard to choose

What was so great about that fight?

I thought it was a lopsided ass whoopin, personally.
Boo_Radley21
7/28/08 3:10:28PM
For that list I'd give it to Griffin vs Jackson, but Faber vs Pulver's gotta get at least an honorable mention.
fonduktoe
7/28/08 9:02:29PM
i don't think faber v pulver was all that great
it was interesting just because of the two people fighting but the overall action wasn't that great compared to alot of other fights from this year
bell9440
7/28/08 10:15:06PM
I think the AA / Rothwell fight is the top.
roger
8/2/08 5:57:04AM
Hansen Vs. Alvarez that was a good fight
Mastodon2
8/2/08 9:52:08AM
Wanderlei vs Jardine, or Fedor vs Tim, one of those 2