Fight of the Year....so far in 2007

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fight of the Year....so far in 2007
Next Page »
jrod
4/2/07 11:26:26AM
While entering one of the best months in MMA... with so many events on tap

I was just wondering what everyone thought would be considered fight of the year entering the 4th month of the year...

Edgar va Griffin is mine.....
pv3Hpv3p
4/2/07 11:36:27AM
Edgar / Griffen was a great fight... I didn't know much about Frank, so I was assuming that Tyson would walk right through him... Man was I wrong...

With that being said, I think I'll go with Diaz / Gomi... It was amazing to see Diaz take control of the standup (Gomi's game) and then finish it with that sick gogo...

Honerable mentions:

Hendo / Wandy II
Jardine / Griffen
GSP / Hughes II (can't remember if that was 07 or 06)

Can't wait to see:

Werdum / AA
Sanchez / Kos
Pride's LWGP

The first two, I think have fight of the year written all over them, and I'm sure that the LWGP will be full of awesome matchups as well...
AchillesHeel
4/2/07 11:50:03AM
My favorites so far...

Henderson - Silva
Jardine - Griffin
Horodecki - Palaszewski.

Looking forward to...

Emelianenko - Lindland
Liddell - Jackson II
Arlovski - Werdum
Evans - Ortiz
the LWGP
Sherk - Penn (not announced yet, of course, but I'm calling it now )
Henderson - Shogun (also not announced yet)
Stickan
4/2/07 11:53:00AM
Gomi - Diaz easily for me..
Mastodon2
4/2/07 11:54:24AM
Arlovski's fight earlier this year was ace
warglory
4/2/07 12:02:05PM
Couture vs Sylvia for me....no doubt. Great fight
Mastodon2
4/2/07 12:04:56PM
yeah Couture Sylvia was an amazing fight too, that was real edge of the seat stuff
Trapt1nw0nder
4/2/07 12:06:19PM
Gomi/Diaz for sure since they were big name fighters...

Edgar/Griffin comes in second...could of been #1 if they were bigger well known fighters(you all know your adrenaline is pumpin when they're 2 big name fighters in the ring ;-)...compared to 2 lesser fighters with not much on the line)
Lay_N_Pray
4/2/07 3:13:51PM
Randy/Tim...that is the hollywood ending that will be turned into a movie and make the UFC even bigger then what it already is.

Gomi/Diaz...I hate Diaz and love Gomi. Diaz shut me up real quick with the most surprising performance I have ever seen.

I really enjoyed the ending of Evans and Salmon, it wasnt that great of a fight but one of the sweetest kicks I have seen.
scoozna
4/2/07 3:32:19PM
Gomi/Diaz - The way Diaz finished the first round, then came out in the second round ready to pound, then the finish...nice.
nubby
4/2/07 4:14:02PM
Couture vs Sylvia. I wept with joy when Sylvia lost to a unanimous decision.
cowcatcher
4/2/07 4:54:46PM
just because it was randy its couture sylvia for me too ive never been happier after a fight than then
batman32314
4/3/07 12:47:03AM
Gomi vs Diaz
hippysmacker
4/3/07 12:48:30AM

Posted by Stickan

Gomi - Diaz easily for me..

Jeffanori-Gomi
4/3/07 1:14:58AM
Herring, Obrien
hathcock32
4/3/07 1:29:46AM
Trigg Lawler
Gogoplata
4/3/07 9:41:24AM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Herring, Obrien

LOL. That was a real man's fight right there. Plenty of hot lay and pray action.
mmadb
4/3/07 9:49:31AM
Bean vs. Zulu

Hasn't even happened yet but god damn it, it will be the best thing ever! Even better than Giant Silva vs. Akebono which was a technical masterpiece.
xchickox
4/3/07 10:55:42AM
gotta be couture vs sylvia for me
the-james
4/4/07 5:02:38PM
Frank Edgar vs Tyson Griffin hands down end of thread!
Lord_Lenny
4/4/07 6:04:55PM
It was entertaining to see Tim thrown around by Randy, and it was a great moment in MMA history but it wasn't much of a fight
Trapt1nw0nder
4/4/07 6:21:49PM

Posted by Lord_Lenny

It was entertaining to see Tim thrown around by Randy, and it was a great moment in MMA history but it wasn't much of a fight

Thats what i say....it was an great moment in history or MMA,but it wasnt much...if it was Jeff Monson or something winning the same way,people would of been like...."Meh!..he won via LnP"....but since it was "Teh Natural"......a 43 year old....it was Epic!!!!

but yea..it was one of the most exciting moments in MMA history,but the fight wasnt much if it wasnt Randy..
TannerBJJ
4/4/07 6:32:21PM
Gomi v.s Diaz / Couture v.s Sylvia
JBatch
4/5/07 2:39:41PM
Gomi/ Diaz by a landslide for fight of the year.
KO of the year so far goes to Rashad Evans
Submission would be the Shinya Aoki gogoplata on Hansen on New Years.
AdamG
4/5/07 3:50:44PM
Diaz/Gomi was the best fight of 2007 so far. Back and forth, with an upset and either fighter had the upper hand at any given time.

Couture/Sylvia was a huge upset to me. I didn't think Couture had a chance, and then he goes and proves why he's one of the greatest of all time.

Henderson/Silva was so fun to watch as the fight went back and forth and Hollywood finished the fight with fireworks.

With the acquisition of Pride by Zuffa, I believe that the best is yet to come.
Can't wait for Liddell/Jackson and for Shogun Rua to make his UFC debut.
pv3Hpv3p
4/5/07 4:43:24PM

Posted by AdamG

Diaz/Gomi was the best fight of 2007 so far. Back and forth, with an upset and either fighter had the upper hand at any given time.

Couture/Sylvia was a huge upset to me. I didn't think Couture had a chance, and then he goes and proves why he's one of the greatest of all time.

Henderson/Silva was so fun to watch as the fight went back and forth and Hollywood finished the fight with fireworks.

With the acquisition of Pride by Zuffa, I believe that the best is yet to come.
Can't wait for Liddell/Jackson and for Shogun Rua to make his UFC debut.

Glad to hear someone giving props for the Hendo / Wandy war... how bout that spinning backfist from Dan... That entire fight was epic...
Conebone69
4/5/07 5:04:02PM
I think Diaz/Gomi was up there.

But Couture vs Sylvia was the best so far. Everything about that fight was shocking. Couture nearly KOing Sylvia in the first round. Couture taking Sylvia down at will. Couture winning the stand up the whole fight. And Sylvia not knowing that it was the fifth and final round in his corner. It was like watching Rocky live.
ManBeast
4/5/07 5:04:49PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Thats what i say....it was an great moment in history or MMA,but it wasnt much...if it was Jeff Monson or something winning the same way,people would of been like...."Meh!..he won via LnP"....but since it was "Teh Natural"......a 43 year old....it was Epic!!!!

but yea..it was one of the most exciting moments in MMA history,but the fight wasnt much if it wasnt Randy..

I agree and disagree.

yeah to a casual fan who didnt know the backstory going into the fight it wasnt that entertaining, the first seconds of round 1 were great then went into a long ground session, round 2 wasnt too bad but not that good either, it was okay. the later rounds were great.

I disagree that just because it was randy didnt make it a great fight to the true fans, hell if monson pulled off that performance I would have shit my pants ( lol Timmay reference). mostly because monson and I are both relatively short. Yes couture's reputation made the fight better but if anyone else relatively well known would have done it, it would still be debated as the best fight of '07 so far.

for me its
Wandy vs Hendo 2
Diaz vs Gomi <--- slugfests are always welcome
Sokodjou vs Nog <---- I'm still in shock over that upset
Sylvia vs Couture
Statik
4/8/07 2:22:22AM
HUERTA VS GARCIA!!!!!!

HUERTA IS THE MAN!
Kisame
4/8/07 2:38:38AM
Couture vs Slyvia easily

Reasons already stated above was probaly the best fight ever really.
Pages: [1] 2 3