Fight for the Troops, first game, spanked

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Fight for the Troops, first game, spanked
Turk
1/23/11 3:02:36PM
Wow, my first set of picks was WAY off ha ha, couple serious upsets. Decent event though, what are your secrets for picking winners?
emfleek
1/23/11 3:06:55PM

Posted by Turk

what are your secrets for picking winners?

Research. Watch videos. Read articles. Look at overall records. Who has each guy fought? Where do they train? What promotions have they fought for, etc. etc. etc.
grappler0000
1/23/11 4:00:03PM

Posted by Turk

Wow, my first set of picks was WAY off ha ha, couple serious upsets. Decent event though, what are your secrets for picking winners?

Ha, yeah, it happens. The FFTT and Fight Nights can be tough to pick. Just do what Fleek said...utilizing the forums to discuss picks is also a good thing.
DCRage
1/23/11 4:22:43PM
It's more luck than anything. Past performance is not always an indicator of future results.
emfleek
1/23/11 4:49:45PM

Posted by DCRage

It's more luck than anything.

I disagree 100%.
grappler0000
1/23/11 5:03:20PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by DCRage

It's more luck than anything.

I disagree 100%.

Well, if we're gonna throw probability and statistics out the window, I'll one-up you and disagree 200%
Chael_Sonnen
1/23/11 5:06:39PM

Posted by Turk

Watch Inside MMA every Friday Night
Franklinfan47
1/23/11 5:58:27PM
You should definately do research, but honestly, I think alot of the time its best to go with your initial gut instinct. I dont know what it is, but it seems like 90% of the people who swith their pick last minute end up wrong.
DCRage
1/23/11 6:26:01PM
Believe it or not I do virtually zero research. The most I look at are W-L records and finishes on Sherdog and that's it. The taking it seriously stuff I save for video games, not fantasy sports (not anymore anyway, it caused me to get burned out on it)..
Shawn91111
1/23/11 6:49:26PM

Posted by DCRage

Believe it or not I do virtually zero research. The most I look at are W-L records and finishes on Sherdog and that's it. The taking it seriously stuff I save for video games, not fantasy sports (not anymore anyway, it caused me to get burned out on it)..

Going by your w/l record it pretty much sums it up.
BlueSkiesBurn
1/23/11 7:01:20PM
Here's what's crazy, Emfleek and Shawn91111 have the EXACT same Win/Lose record. Crazy.
Drudinh
1/24/11 3:45:35AM
My opinoin don't worry about it. Bad picks happen. Sometimes You'll make perfect picks. Other times you might just flat out suck even though you made smart picks. the beauty of it shows that fights can go anywhere. Unless you can predict the future of have a time machine. In that case you would be a cheater and IMO are putting it to the best use on the PG... as opposed to stocks, preventing a disaster or getting laid or something like that.
scoozna
1/24/11 11:37:22AM
I used to rely solely on the w/L records and my "gut" feeling about who's hot and who's not.

I still rely heavily on those things, assuming my "gut" is a bit more wise now (big assumption), but I have to say, if you participate regularly in discussions with forum members, or team members 1) it adds another layer of information you may have not had available to you 2) they add their "gut" instincts as well 3) you can analyze their logic if they provide the why/how the fight will go down - and perhaps make your own analysis sharper.

My pick percentage has improved a bit, no question. Perhaps, more importantly, it's fun to be a part of a group that loves discussing the fights like I do, and I like to think I'm open minded enough to improve my own analysis.

There's still a bunch of "luck" involved, I don't think that will ever go away...unless Dana sells his shares to Don King.
scoozna
1/24/11 11:53:10AM
...and did I mention that I got spanked too? Ouch.