UFC Fight For The Troops Card Taking Shape

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Fight For The Troops Card Taking Shape
grappler0000
9/19/08 9:33:22PM
Not surprisingly, just as the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced its special UFC Fight For The Troops event for Dec. 10 at Fort Bragg in North Carolina, the fight card has started to slowly piece together.

Although the UFC has yet to make any bouts official, many fights have been verbally agreed to, quickly giving form to the UFC’s effort to raise money to build a treatment center for the brave men and women in the United States Armed Forces who have experienced traumatic brain injuries. The facility is being sponsored, built and equipped by the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.

A bout between Mike Swick and Jonathan Goulet was confirmed by MMAWeekly.com earlier in the week, although it is now being moved to the Dec. 10 benefit event instead of The Ultimate Fighter Season 8 Finale, according to Swick.

Other bouts that sources say have been agreed to include Steve Bruno vs. Luke Cummo, Eddie Sanchez vs. Justin McCully, Liugi Fioravanti vs. Brodie Farber, and Nate Loughran against an as yet unknown opponent.

There has been no word regarding who will be featured in the main event.

The goal of UFC Fight For The Troops is to raise the necessary funds for The National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), an advanced research facility in Bethseda, Md. dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of military personnel and veterans suffering from traumatic brain injury (TBI) and psychological health issues.

Link
grappler0000
9/19/08 9:38:16PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if this event is in any relation to the Xtreme Couture G.I. Foundation?
Twenty20Dollars
9/19/08 9:52:12PM
I know I dont know if it is.

But I hope they get a real good main event and not have it be swick vs goulet.
DevonFoxy
9/19/08 9:57:37PM
No that wont be the main event. Koscheck is said to be in the talks to be the Main Event I hear. Possibly Yoshida but who knows.
McBee
9/19/08 10:12:12PM
The Intrepid Fallen heros fund was the charity that won the big money on the Apprentice that Tito was on when Piers Morgan won.
Naturaldisaster
9/19/08 10:58:04PM
Since its for the troops I'd like to see better fighters on the card. I really think UFC should do their best to negotiate a new contract with Tito. Tito is a HUGE supporter of the US troops and I think that would really bring a moral boost to them. McCully is to so I see why he would fight on there, Im just interested to see if he will actually accept this fight (unlike the last 48598768576 fights that UFC has offered him).
Wolfenstein
9/19/08 11:07:28PM
Geeze so far it sounds like an undercard to a fight night. I mean I understand it's for charity but put on a decent show or don't bother.
prozacnation1978
9/20/08 12:13:45AM
some okay fights i think main event will be swick vs goulet or kos vs yoshida
MMAcca
9/20/08 1:35:37AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Geeze so far it sounds like an undercard to a fight night. I mean I understand it's for charity but put on a decent show or don't bother.

It is the undercard to a Fight Night.

UFCFN 16 - Koscheck Vs Yoshida
ChokeUout
9/20/08 3:57:54AM
haha, relax boys. they'll fill the card with good fights. most of these are probably prelims with the exception of Koscheck/yoshida and Swick/Goulet. I'd expect a bunch of fighters that fought at UFC 88 and UFN 15 to show up. Guida, Danzig, Diaz, Neer, Marquart, kampmann, Mcdonald, pellegrino, tavarez are all included in here. In any event, the event is to raise funds by telethon, so they'll throw good fights on there to get people to watch.
casey64
9/20/08 1:33:34PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Yeah thats what I'm thinking I hope they put a good main event on this card.
cowcatcher
9/20/08 2:51:48PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

ok i dont want to be a d*ck, and youre a good poster so im not trying to flame, but any show they put on is a good show, its not like the ufc has a bunch of 0-3 or 4-11 guys on the roster. not to mention the fact that you said put on a good show or dont bother, im guessing the troops dont want them to not bother, this is something they will be looking forward to. too many times people say things about charities and p*ss and moan but when it comes down to it do the same people go through the hassle of putting an event like this together for the guys and gals protecting us, or do they even donate more than 20 bucks a year? i guess i get p*ssed off easy when people b*itch about charities because the same people doing the whining are the people that give a little bit at work around xmas and feel like theyre world changers(im not talking about you wolfy, just on a rant). its for charity and its a big deal to set something this size up so appreciate it and ask what can you do, lets not complain about who is fighting, the guys this money is going to wont.
casey64
9/20/08 2:55:17PM
The link isnt working either.
bls1919
9/20/08 9:50:37PM
I think its great what the UFC is doing here. Regardless of the fights its a good cause.
emfleek
9/22/08 2:24:05PM

Posted by bls1919

I think its great what the UFC is doing here. Regardless of the fights its a good cause.

Agreed. I'd even watch it if it were Shamrock -vs- Kimbo.