#1 UFC fight of all time

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » #1 UFC fight of all time
warglory
7/9/09 6:19:39PM
With the top 10 being aired tonight, I have an unfortunate feeling that Griffin vs Bonnar 1 is going to be the #1 fight of all time. I personally think this is the most overrated mma match ever. Yes, it was entertaining, but there was almost no technicality, it was just two guys banging back and forth. There are too many fights that were much more entertaining.
mentalcase
7/9/09 6:36:08PM
i completely agree

they make such a big deal about it cause it got alot of people into the UFC
cowcatcher
7/9/09 6:53:02PM
its the most important fight in ufc history, but this is supposed to be the best fights. anything thats voted on by the public is usually going to be a little skewed. i think its a safe assumption that this is #1.
Wallass
7/9/09 6:53:12PM
Wow, really guys? I dont think your totally wrong here as its a classic but mainly from a striking standpoint and not necessarily all around best fight. I mean if this is going to be #1 then serious thought should be put into making Diaz vs Parisyan as its the ground game version of this one, I dont think that Bonnar vs Grifin is overated at all but dont see how anything will be first place over this one due to its impact on the sport and the fact that it was nonstop awesome action. However, I havent been watching the episodes all that much but wouldnt be surprised if Lesnar vs Mir is up there way higher then it should be.
warglory
7/9/09 7:09:29PM

Posted by Wallass

Wow, really guys? I dont think your totally wrong here as its a classic but mainly from a striking standpoint and not necessarily all around best fight. I mean if this is going to be #1 then serious thought should be put into making Diaz vs Parisyan as its the ground game version of this one, I dont think that Bonnar vs Grifin is overated at all but dont see how anything will be first place over this one due to its impact on the sport and the fact that it was nonstop awesome action. However, I havent been watching the episodes all that much but wouldnt be surprised if Lesnar vs Mir is up there way higher then it should be.

Yes, it was very significant, but it wasn't the best fight of all time (in my opinion of course). It could be argued that the Tito vs Chuck and Couture vs Chuck matches caught ahold of more fans than Bonnar vs Griffin fight. Did it open up the door? Sure, but "best fight", I wouldn't say so.
seanfu
7/9/09 7:16:12PM
I that single fight had a quarter of the impact it did we would be sitting in the same place right now.

Maybe a year behind, but the UFC would still ithin a year or so attain the dominance it has now.
Rush
7/9/09 7:20:08PM
IMO, the fight(s) that get the top honours on these (irrelevant) lists are the ones that feature the most popular fighters (at the time), more so than the "best fight" per se.
fonduktoe
7/10/09 1:58:35AM

Posted by Rush

IMO, the fight(s) that get the top honours on these (irrelevant) lists are the ones that feature the most popular fighters (at the time), more so than the "best fight" per se.

pop polls are hardly objective and i immediately noticed the skew towards noteriety as opposed to actual action
pretty sure that every one of chuck liddell's ufc fights is in the top 100 and they were far from being classics the lot'of 'em
RNC
7/10/09 4:30:51PM
So the real question is, what does the playground think is the #1 fight in UFC history?
ButterBalls
7/10/09 8:56:11PM
Kalib Starnes vs. Nate Quarry.
noahgenda
7/10/09 11:50:51PM
joe son getting his balls smashed in by keith hackney
hippysmacker
7/10/09 11:54:07PM
I would be happy for any of these to be it.

Trigg/Hughes 2
Chuck/Wandy
Couture/Rizzo 1
Chuck /Tito 1
Sanchez/Parysian
Militech/Newton
Randy/Tito
Griffin/Bonnar 1
The_Ho_Bag
7/11/09 12:15:54AM
i have a feelings its going to bonnar/griffin 1
Wolfenstein
7/11/09 12:31:53AM
Bonnar vs Girffin was great, but I've probably seen Chris Lytle in at least 3 or 4 better fights.

Just in terms of some recent fights--Griffin vs Dos Anjos and Sanchez vs Guida were awesome.
Rabi
7/11/09 4:12:39AM
I ran a series of polls on the playground to find the playgrounds best fight and Griffin v Bonner 1 won the poll.
tmas
7/11/09 9:56:33AM
Bonnar v Griffen IS the best fight in UFC history, for many reasons, best doesnt imply the most techinical the most bla bla bla (whatever category) best is a general term that encompasses abastractedneddesnes!!!......

So the "best" fight is indeed B v G, still to this day boxing/mma its one of the top 5 most "entertaining" fights i have ever seen, contrary to popular belief the fight WAS techinical, but it was also a slug fest./brawl. Its also the most significant fight in UFC history.

Thumbs up for that fight. I remember thinking Bonnar won the fight 3 rounds to none..........btw (forrest said when he watches the fight he scores it 2 v 1 for Bonnar lol).......so it was a controversial dec too, and sparked a rematch (possibly more down the line who knows)

mrsmiley
7/11/09 3:13:08PM
I would still have to say the best fight in UFC history is Frank Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz.
Their was just a great back story behind it,and at the time those two guys really were at the top of the food chain.