“Fight Science” on National Geographic (A review)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » “Fight Science” on National Geographic (A review)
Bemin
1/27/08 3:24:17AM
Dr. Cindy Bir wasn’t a fan of mixed martial arts before she started working on the new installment of “Fight Science.“

But after getting to know MMA luminaries Randy Couture, Bas Rutten, Tito Ortiz and Dean Lister, the associate professor of biomechanical engineering at Wayne State University started to appreciate their understanding of the human machine and how they came to it. “They learned the hard way,” she said.

Bir is one of three researchers at work in the Fight Science studio. Developed to measure the destructive power of so-called traditional martial artists for the first episode of the show, the studio is part laboratory, part gym, and part television studio. Two years after the first special aired, “Fight Science” returns at 8 p.m. ET, Jan. 27 on the National Geographic channel to subject MMA to the same scrutiny.

Link

Can't wait to see this, looks to be really interesting.
Boo_Radley21
1/27/08 10:54:48AM
That's awesome. I wish I could watch it . I'll probably download it somewhere later though.
Vietnamese_Guy
1/27/08 2:15:35PM
Bas Rutten by liver punch
GraMMA
1/27/08 2:32:26PM
I'll be checking this out tonite for sure.I wonder if they'll do a scientific mesurement of Listers' punching power?
Daddyprimetime
1/27/08 10:49:53PM
I watched and thought it was pretty interesting. I just really liked the fact that they showed how much a fighter has to go through to get the big show and how legit they are as atheletes.
FeelTheJoy
1/29/08 1:37:49AM
bas kicks so hard.
Bemin
1/29/08 2:31:09AM
Ya it was pretty amazing how shocked the testers were, they made him kick again because they thought the machine misread the strength. Too bad his knees are shot, it would be great to see him fight again.
Manfred
1/29/08 3:55:24AM

Posted by FeelTheJoy

bas kicks so hard.

The funny thing is he's well past his prime and openly admits he has bum knees. Imaging a young, healthy Bas' measurements?
Leland
1/29/08 8:35:31AM
Bas is the man. I liked when Tito was like "yeah i elbowed him hard, i could feel it" and then Bas went up and doubled Tito's readings haha.
Lord_Lenny
1/29/08 9:29:08AM

Posted by Leland

Bas is the man. I liked when Tito was like "yeah i elbowed him hard, i could feel it" and then Bas went up and doubled Tito's readings haha.

it was two different strikes, an elbow is different, less mass, and less leverage