UFC Fight Night 14: Rate it

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Fight Night 14: Rate it
nickcuc547
7/20/08 9:58:00PM
I gotta give it a 4. Silva was awesome and Markham's KO was incredible, but the rest of the fights weren't that good. franca and edgar should thank god for their bonus because it was the worst fight of the night this year. Overall I thought this was the second worst card in the ufc this year behind UFC fight night 12, burkman vs. swick was just awful as a whole.
hotrodttt
7/20/08 10:04:32PM
I'd give it a 2.5, Affliction made UFN 14 look bad, In Affliction we got to see the rebirth of Vitor Belfort and Andrei Arlovski and on Top of that which made my night was Fedor tearing Tim a new one. Affliction was a Solid 9/10
Mchubb316
7/20/08 10:08:03PM
Fight Night was mediocre at best. Regardless that is was up against a stacked Affliction card. Given the time frame they had to put on the card, I give it a generous 4.5 out of 10.
Pitbull09
7/20/08 10:15:46PM
People are trying to compare these and act like Affliction kicked UFC's ass but they are forgetting that not only was FN14 free, but it was late notice also. Affliction took $40 from us. The Markham debut was greater than I even expected and the Silva fight went as planned.
The only thing I can complain about was Franca laying on his back for 2 1/2 rounds and then expecting to KO Edgar. Also the Vera fight wasnt finished as Vera seemed to gas and had to take a decision. Also Anthony got screwed.
Looking at Affliction. I got to see Lindland throw what I think was worst fight of the night against a no name he couldnt finish. Next we had the Sobral/Whitehead fight which was decent and I think from there the show really got started with the three HW fights. Barnett owned, AA owned, Fedor owned. One sided matchups but they were crazy good.

Overall I give the FREE FN14 a 6.5 and Affliction 8.5
juanez13
7/20/08 10:22:44PM
I'd also give it a 7.5. People are giving it low scores because it was the UFC trying to spoil the affliction party, and some of the hardcore fans just dont like how the UFC is trying to control everything. Take UFN 14, put in a different night and i bet it would have gotten a much better response, i personally watched both (rewatched the whole UFN and Affliction separate) and i thought UFN had a good show.

Also noticed the UFC changed their show a bit, changing the tale of the tape, really liked it, much more than the other one. now i hope they change the gladiator theme PPV intro ,its long overdue that they change that
cmill21
7/20/08 10:52:48PM

Posted by juanez13

I'd also give it a 7.5. People are giving it low scores because it was the UFC trying to spoil the affliction party, and some of the hardcore fans just dont like how the UFC is trying to control everything. Take UFN 14, put in a different night and i bet it would have gotten a much better response, i personally watched both (rewatched the whole UFN and Affliction separate) and i thought UFN had a good show.

Also noticed the UFC changed their show a bit, changing the tale of the tape, really liked it, much more than the other one. now i hope they change the gladiator theme PPV intro ,its long overdue that they change that

Really? I thought the fights had potential but they did not deliever for me, I fell asleep some time during the edgar franca fight and work up only to be put to sleep by the vera reese fight. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole affliction show(except for the Lindland fight lol he gassed quick.
Naturaldisaster
7/20/08 11:12:04PM
juanez13
7/21/08 12:06:39AM

Posted by cmill21

Really? I thought the fights had potential but they did not deliever for me, I fell asleep some time during the edgar franca fight and work up only to be put to sleep by the vera reese fight. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole affliction show(except for the Lindland fight lol he gassed quick.

No doubt affliction had a better show, but the point is not to compare them to one another, but to judge UFN itself. I watched the whole show itself, and i thought it was good, only thing you can compare UFN 14 is to other past UFN's, which i thought it did very well, especially for a card thrown last minute. On the main card IMO only one fight that didnt do it for me, that of course being vera/reese (which i thought Vera looked great in the opening, but than dont know what he was thinking trying to counter a guy who wasnt throwing)....Edgar/Franca IMO was a good fight, and so were the other fights, rumble/burns was a good fight until the BS finish.

as mentioned Affliction has the better fights, but it isnt about comparing the 2.
king_katool
7/21/08 1:06:14AM
ye i watched both and id give UFN a 6.5 and the affiiction card a 8.5, the only fight i was dissapointed with on the UFN card was the vera/andy fight, the cut for vera seemed like it didnt go so good, hopefully he can improve this if he plans on staying at 205 at which i think he could be very dangerous
Jipper
7/21/08 2:08:29PM
Give it a 5. Below average card with exciting fights in Edgar v Franca & Burns v Johnson. Other than that it was a highlight reel card. It was fun to watch but it looked like an IFL card headlined by Anderson Silva being fed an opponent. Glad I watched Afflicton Live and recorded the UFC. For a UFC card I'd have to give it a 3.
Rush
7/21/08 2:17:09PM
5/10

Haven't seen the whole Affliction card myself so I can't compare. I just thought the main card was lacklustre in the end, due to the process and outcomes of the fights, not due to the match-ups themselves.

I have only seen one or two recent UFC cards that have been worse than this one.
DCRage
7/21/08 2:18:49PM
3.5. Had it not been for Silva and their showing the Markham-Farber prelim I probably would've said 2. A lot of it was those boring fights and the Burns-Johnson finish.
DangerousDjohn
7/21/08 2:26:35PM
I give it an 8...

It was free...FREE...you dont pay for it...

You get to see the best fighter pound for pound in Anderson Silva dominater.

Of course the kick heard around the world.

Franca-Edgar wasnt a bad fight....Edgar dominated yes...but there at the end Franca almost KOed him.

Johnson-Burns was a good fight that Johnson would have won, had it not been for a blown call. That was stupid.

CB had a nice little submission win.

The Vera-Andy fight sucked, but that was the only bad fight.

And of course you got to see the future of the HW division in Cain Velasquez who dominated the Irish man.

There was nothing wrong with this...NO BS...JUST FIGHTING....NO MUSICAL BREAKS....FIGHTING....thats what I want to see...and did I mention its free.
GrizzlyChadams
7/21/08 4:10:22PM
I thought it was great considering how quickly they put it together.
Purge
7/21/08 4:19:04PM
DREAM&BANNED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UFN14

I give it a 6/10 and im feeling merciful.
emfleek
7/21/08 4:53:41PM
I'd give it a 7/10. Not too shabby for a free event. I still feel like I got the better end of the deal by NOT watching Affliction and choosing UFN instead.

With the exception of the Vera/Andy fight, I was interested the entire time.
prozacnation1978
7/21/08 5:04:48PM
fight nights are always lousy that is why it's free
mrsmiley
7/21/08 5:54:11PM
6.5 for me.

PROS: 1.It was free 2.Anderson Silva at LHW

Cons: 1.Most the fights seemed a little lackluster on the exception of the Silva Irvin fight. 2. BS stoppage

jiujitsufreak74
7/21/08 5:56:08PM
Dream- 8.5

Affliction- 8

UFC FN 14- 7

i actually liked the Edgar/Franca fight, Cain was impressive, Silva was dominant just as Fedor was, Johson Burns was actually a good fight until the stoppage and the Markham KO was great. like emfleek said...not too shabby for a free card.
jocksmall
7/21/08 6:24:25PM
fight night wasnt one of the ufc's better cards but it was free. it doesnt compare to afflictions card which was the best of the year. i liked it better because there were better top name match ups. exciting fights and alot more fights with less talking and less self-promotion. ufc fn gets a 5 and affliction gets a 9