Regardless of UFC Fight Night 24 outcome, Tito Ortiz not ready to retire

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Regardless of UFC Fight Night 24 outcome, Tito Ortiz not ready to retire
FastKnockout
1/25/11 8:46:42PM
Tito Ortiz laughed it off at first. Then he realized they were serious.

Not long after Matt Hamill handed him his third consecutive loss at this past October's UFC 121 event, he got a call from UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta and UFC president Dana White.

They told him he should retire. After the initial surprise, he pleaded with them.

"I said, 'You guys have got to give me a chance, man,'" Ortiz told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Look at my last fights. I fought Forrest Griffin last year with a ruptured disk in my neck, and I still fought to a split decision. I come back a year later after neck surgery, and I fight a guy who's on a five-fight win streak, and I lost a couple of takedowns.

"You guys think I should retire? It's just crazy."

He eventually convinced them to give him one last shot. White later called him back, and Ortiz (15-8-1 MMA, 14-8-1 UFC) asked for a fight with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (19-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC), the twin brother of former PRIDE and UFC champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. "Little Nog" had most recently lost a unanimous decision to blue-chip prospect Ryan Bader.

LINK
FastKnockout
1/25/11 9:04:59PM
I dislike Ortiz with a passion. With that being said, if he loses to Nog, then I agree he should retire.

He hasn't won a fight since 2006, hasn't won against anyone not named Ken Shamrock since Forrest Griffin, also in 2006. If he loses again, I say hang up the gloves, because you can't hang with the current talent.

Sure, you can say that he's fighting the best, but what do you want him to do? Stick around and keep fighting those who are outside the top 20 in the division? If he's going to do that he might as well go to a lower league like Strikeforce or Bellator. With more and more talent rushing the ranks of the UFC, space and money is of high value. Let's not waste it. I'd hate to see Ortiz stick around longer than needed and possibly headline or co-main a future card vs. some washed up boxing legend.

As for his "razor" thin decisions, a loss is a loss. He can't manage to make that extra push to win, and it's possible that will keep happening. My friend always argues with me about whose more washed up, Ortiz or Liddell. He says Liddell, because Liddell is always getting knocked out, but I think an arguement can be made for Ortiz as well. Sure, Ortiz has the chin to hang in the game, but he doesn't have the skills, while Liddell has the skills, but no longer has the chin. See what I'm saying? Both should be retired for different reasons.

Now for the excuses, I can't stand them. Yeah, injuries sometimes occur and they can take you out of the game, but everyone has them. If the injuries are as bad as Ortiz says they are, then he needs to take a step back from the sport and think about his health. If he is healthy enough to fight, then he needs to shut up everyone time he loses. I remember back when he fought Forrest, and during the introductions he was glaring at Forrest from across the cage and jumping up and down, afterwards he went on to say that his back was hurting him so bad before and during the fight, that he almost couldn't stand. Really Tito? Then why you acting like a gorilla and jumping around? It just doesn't make since to me. There's also other excuses such as the "cracked" skull after the Griffin fight. I remember all the smack he talked leading up to the fight and how he was so happy to finally be "100%" healthy, but during his interview after the fight he mentioned he should have never fought with a cracked skull.

I'm just tired of Ortiz. I thought Hamill was the one to finally shut him up, and I was wrong.

mattjonesy
1/25/11 9:25:25PM
One thing that scares me is Lil Nog has pretty much no takedown defence! If he somehow pulls it off he would almost be back in the mix...
Bubbles
1/25/11 11:35:50PM

Posted by mattjonesy

One thing that scares me is Lil Nog has pretty much no takedown defence! If he somehow pulls it off he would almost be back in the mix...

Tito vs Silva/Rampage winner? or Franklin if he beats Griffin? or Machida/Couture winner for a rematch?
BlueSkiesBurn
1/26/11 12:04:05AM
I NEVER want to see Tito retire. I will tune in every time he's fighting in the hopes of seeing him get the ever loving sh*t beat out of him. Thank you Tito for promising to stick around and let me continue to enjoy your losing streak.
pmoney
1/26/11 12:18:39AM
I am liking the Tito hate flowing in this thread!

FastKnockout really brought up some good points (would've propped if it would let me!) about how as of late, Tito has been saying he is good and 100% healthy and ready to go, then coming back with the same weak excuses after his losses.

I was scared against Hammill when Tito came out and booted The Hammer right in the face, I thought it was done. I don't know if that says more about Hammill's chin or Tito being weak and washed up.

I love seeing Tito get his ass beat. Sometimes I go watch Machida lay that knee into his liver and I just laugh... LOL!

I am not high on either Big Nog or Lil Nog right now, but I am really hoping Lil Nog takes out Ortiz like he did Cane.
BlueSkiesBurn
1/26/11 12:56:00AM

Posted by pmoney

I love seeing Tito get his ass beat. Sometimes I go watch Machida lay that knee into his liver and I just laugh... LOL!

I am a huge Machida nuthugger and a huge Tito hater, so when I'm having a bad day, I watch that fight to see Machida tool him for 3 rounds. It just brightens my day and is a win-win.
Bythar
1/26/11 5:52:12AM
He is still in competitive fights in the top organisation. Why should he retire? He isn't gonna be winning any UFC titles but he's still a top 20 guy.
chickmagnet
1/26/11 10:09:28AM
Titos done. He hasn't been the same for years.
Hendo67
1/26/11 11:57:36AM
Tito looks insanely stiff when he fights, almost like he's flat footed. He's got ground and pound, that's it, that's honestly all he brings to the table. He's slow as well, it's time... especially if he loses against Nog, which i'll bet my house he will.
emfleek
1/26/11 12:29:00PM
I can't stand Tito, but it's not my place or anyone else's to tell him when to retire.

If he wants to fight, more power to him.