fight of the night/ fight of the year

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » fight of the night/ fight of the year
hado3
10/30/07 11:48:06PM
My question is, why are the only fights that are up for fight of the night and fight of the year, one's that do to the decision.

I mean forrest v.s. shogun was pretty damn good

how bout randy v.s. gonzaga

or how about Thales Leties v.s. Ryan Jensen, it only went 1 round but it was nonstop

i think we need to start giving fights like those and many others love
Scott_Revels
10/31/07 12:19:42AM
9 out of 10 times, when a fight gets fight of the night, and it went to a decision, it was a war. A war only happens when both fighters put on a great fight and fans get a great long fight. Usually when a fight ends by submission or knockout, it's not that great. Look at examples like Sell/Smith. You had a very dramatic ending, that no one saw coming, and people still talk about. The same goes with the Carter/Serra knockout. Anytime people see Shonie Carter, they will be like, "you knocked Serra out with a spinning back fist." Who remembers Wiman getting a knee sandwich first class by Fisher, over Forrest Griffin knocking out Elvis Sinocic? I do. The problem with Forrest Griffin/Mauricio Rua was that it wasn't as entertaining as Tyson Griffin/Thiago Tavarres. That fight was two titans of the octagon getting it on and entertaining the crowd to the point of pure, euphoric, climatic, MMA grade orgasm.

As for Couture/Gonzaga.. It was the Fight of the Night.. You might want to look before leaping.. cause the reason Thales Leites vs Ryan Jensen wasn't the fight of the night was because Couture/Gonzaga got that honor. Don't worry though. Thales got the Submission of the Night Bonus..
JBatch
10/31/07 1:06:05AM
Right now my personal fight of the year is either Diaz vs. Gomi I think it was early this year or Marcus Davis vs. Paul Taylor.
hippysmacker
10/31/07 3:20:48AM
I'll go with Griffin/Edgar
TNunley
10/31/07 11:05:27AM

Posted by JBatch

Right now my personal fight of the year is either Diaz vs. Gomi I think it was early this year or Marcus Davis vs. Paul Taylor.

I'm pretty sure the guy that started this thread was talking about the UFC's Fight of the Night/Fight of the Year...

Diaz/Gomi was in Pride
JBatch
10/31/07 11:44:50AM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by JBatch

I'm pretty sure the guy that started this thread was talking about the UFC's Fight of the Night/Fight of the Year...

Diaz/Gomi was in Pride

Nah it just says fight of the night or fight of the year.

And Davis vs. Taylor was in the UFC.
pv3Hpv3p
10/31/07 11:46:04AM

Posted by JBatch

Excellent choices... Took the words right outa my mouth... props to you sir
TNunley
10/31/07 4:38:07PM

Posted by JBatch

I know Davis/Taylor was in the UFC, it was UFC 75 (why I didn't say NEITHER of these were in the UFC, and only mentioned Diaz/Gomi)

BTW, yes... he was asking a question in regards to the UFC's Fight of the Night & Fight of the Year awards....

If your opinion of your favorite fight of this year is Diaz/Gomi... that's great. I was just telling you that was not what he was talking about.
themmadigest
10/31/07 6:01:40PM
Same as "hippysmacker"
I'd go with Frankie Edgar versus Tyson Griffin.
Lord_Lenny
10/31/07 6:15:22PM

Posted by themmadigest

Same as "hippysmacker"
I'd go with Frankie Edgar versus Tyson Griffin.

i third that opinion, griffin tavares wasnt as close but it sure was exciting as well
marketmaven
10/31/07 6:25:44PM
You want to talk UFC Fight of the year?

How about Leonard Garcia vs Roger Huerta. That fight was fricken awesome, and it made it on the Sports Illustrated Cover.

Randy Couture vs Tim Sylvia was also very entertaining. It reshaped the entire Heavy Weight Division, was thoroughly entertaining and people talked about it for a long time. Not to mention it made Randy an MMA giant and brought him into the mainstream consciousness.

I actually enjoyed the Dan Henderson vs Quinton Jackson fight. They really went toe to toe, and both put on a great showing. It was an epic scrap fest that tested each champions heart. It was a close fight and it was the first unification bout making Quinton the World Undisputed light heavyweight champion.

I would put the fights of the year in that order. #1, #2, and Quinton Henderson #3.

Peace Out.
MondayNiteMauser
10/31/07 6:35:32PM
Diaz vs. Gomi was an awesome fight
Randy vs. Big Tim
Quinton vs. Chuck
Chris Leben vs. Terry Martin hahaha
Scott_Revels
10/31/07 7:39:08PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by JBatch

I know Davis/Taylor was in the UFC, it was UFC 75 (why I didn't say NEITHER of these were in the UFC, and only mentioned Diaz/Gomi)

BTW, yes... he was asking a question in regards to the UFC's Fight of the Night & Fight of the Year awards....

If your opinion of your favorite fight of this year is Diaz/Gomi... that's great. I was just telling you that was not what he was talking about.

I know, no one reads the first post anymore. He's not asking your opinions on who is the fight of the year.. He wants to know why some fights are great but don't get Fight of the Year..

I swear I could write Dana White in a title, and then talk about how he picked his nose during a conference, and people would talk about anything but what was talked about in the original post.
madmarck
11/1/07 7:36:28AM
Stout/Fisher 2 anyone?
Also Griffin/ Guida is up there.
JBatch
11/1/07 9:28:01AM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Posted by TNunley

Posted by JBatch

I know, no one reads the first post anymore. He's not asking your opinions on who is the fight of the year.. He wants to know why some fights are great but don't get Fight of the Year..

I swear I could write Dana White in a title, and then talk about how he picked his nose during a conference, and people would talk about anything but what was talked about in the original post.

When you see a title that reads fight of the night/year and then the guy goes on to talk about fights he obviosly considers top for this year than I believe you can mention what you believe to be the fights of the year.

I am sorry if my post etiquette does not meet you obviously high standards. Please stay on Sherdog boys because you are far to intense for this site.

I mean if I wnated to be technical I could refute his very question and say that many fights that don't go to decision get fight of the night but I'm not a dick and I just chose to throw to fights out there that didn't go to decision that earned FOTN honours.
TNunley
11/1/07 12:05:42PM

Posted by JBatch
When you see a title that reads fight of the night/year and then the guy goes on to talk about fights he obviosly considers top for this year than I believe you can mention what you believe to be the fights of the year.

I am sorry if my post etiquette does not meet you obviously high standards. Please stay on Sherdog boys because you are far to intense for this site.

I mean if I wnated to be technical I could refute his very question and say that many fights that don't go to decision get fight of the night but I'm not a dick and I just chose to throw to fights out there that didn't go to decision that earned FOTN honours.

Okay, wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest with you, so go ahead and take this:

Also, never been a member of Sherdog, or posted on their forums. As far as my comments, I was informing you, that the thread was in regards to UFC's Fight of the Night & (UFCs) Fight of the Year. No need to go critiquing the guy who started the forum... in fact if you had read his post, you would have noticed that was what he was talking about.

So... sorry if I offended you, or hurt your ego by trying to let you know what the guy's post was really about.
Scott_Revels
11/1/07 9:30:02PM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by JBatch

Okay, wasn't trying to get into a pissing contest with you, so go ahead and take this:

Also, never been a member of Sherdog, or posted on their forums. As far as my comments, I was informing you, that the thread was in regards to UFC's Fight of the Night & (UFCs) Fight of the Year. No need to go critiquing the guy who started the forum... in fact if you had read his post, you would have noticed that was what he was talking about.

So... sorry if I offended you, or hurt your ego by trying to let you know what the guy's post was really about.

Correct. The guy was naming fights he thought could be fight of the year, but he wasn't naming them saying, "this is my picks." He was naming them asking why they weren't considered fight of the night.. which was kind've dumb because one was in fact a fight of the night, and the other was eliminated because the one that was fight of the night got it. No one is blaming you for not realizing it, I was just making a commentary on how 9 out of 10 people see threads. You could be the one person who saw the OP, and then saw the others and became confused. There are though people on here who just assumed because of the title, that it was another "which fight do you think should be fight of the night/year."
ohiostate1016
11/1/07 10:33:04PM
What about Jason Black and Matt Grice from UFC 77???????????
TheHitmanTL
11/1/07 11:31:21PM
im going with randy vs gonzaga
NatedawgThaM
11/2/07 7:53:14PM
For fight of year...My top 5 is...

1. Tyson Griffin vs. Frank Edgar
2. Nick Diaz vs. Gomi(Gay a** Athletic commission are dumb as F*ck)
3. Tyson Griffin vs. Clay Guida
4. Rampage Jackson vs. Dan Henderson(Exciting Scrap)
5. Roger Huerta vs. Leonard Garcia(Not as grea as everybody thinks it was but it was good)

Honorable Mentions: Houston/Jardine, Paul Taylor/Marcus Davis, Jardine/Liddell(Love watching Chuck get his ass beat but being a "Spilt" was HUGE Bullcrap!)

if we were going outside UFC/Pride I would add Micah Miller/Cub Swanson, Robbie Lawler/Ninja Rua, Robbie Lawler/Frank Trigg, Baroni/Shamrock
quezocrema0032
11/2/07 11:01:50PM
Fight of the year in this order
1. Edgar Vs Griffin
2. Griffin vs. Guida
3. Fisher vs. Stout
4. Gonzaga vs. Couture
5. Drew Mcfedris vs Martin Kampman
But Huerta Vs Garcia was great to
victoryONE
11/3/07 11:18:47AM
fisher/stout 2
CornishMMA
11/3/07 2:54:20PM
its too early to debate fight of the year cos we still have 3 events and 27 potential fights to go, wait until after the TUF6 Finale i say cos Huerta VS Guida could steal the award
Scott_Revels
11/3/07 6:00:55PM
JBatch, just so you know.. These last 6 posts are the reason why I was so harsh on the fact that no one reads the opening thread.. If anyone had read it, they would've saw this:

My question is, why are the only fights that are up for fight of the night and fight of the year, one's that do to the decision.

Very first sentence of the first post..

Instead.. Everyone who has commented on this thread with what they think should be Fight of the Year/Fight of the Night, only see this:

Hey, ignore my first post.. Don't answer my question, okay? Just go on and tell me what you think should be the fight of the year. Hey, why not go ahead and tell me something else that doesn't pertain to my question. Okay? I don't mind, I'll get over the fact that only two people have actually looked at my question. That's okay, everyone. Just ignore my question..

It's sad.. Hmm. I have an idea..

Edit: Read the first post.. Then tell me how many people followed my instructions.

My Test
sinister_16
4/4/08 9:45:58AM
one of the best fights of the year was Chuck Liddell versus Wanderlei silva that fight had alot of build up and when it finally happened it was very exciting
casey64
4/4/08 9:54:57AM

Posted by JBatch

bls1919
4/4/08 6:46:02PM
Chuck vs Wandy has my vote. This fight had treamendous build up...like 3 yrs worth. Then they both went out and threw down. I also liked the Guida vs Garcia fight.
tylerlee123
4/6/08 2:14:26PM
Davis vs Taylor and Huerta vs Garcia were two of the best fights since Forrest- Bonnar
npayant
4/6/08 2:47:53PM
I know this post is a little late for Fight of the Year (2007), but I guess I don't see why Garcia vs Huerta was such a great fight to everyone... I mean Huerta dominated him all three rounds and won and easy unanimous decision (30-27). I know that Garcia showed a ton of heart in this fight, but he got beat badly IMO. Don't get me wrong, I like Garcia and think he has a lot of potential...I just don't think this should be ranked up there as FOTY

To me a Fight of the Year candidate should go to an all out war (CLOSE) fight...Like a Bonnar/Griffin, Sanchez/Karo, Griffen/Edgar... Or maybe like the TS stated...an all out war that didn't necessarily end by decision (I like those fights as well)

Just my opinion
Riggeee
4/6/08 4:06:07PM
yah Randy vs. Gonzaga was a war
my favorite
close second was diaz vs. gomi