UFC Fight Night 29 bonuses: Palhares snubbed for sub award

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Fight Night 29 bonuses: Palhares snubbed for sub award
Next Page »
prophecy033
10/9/13 11:46:56PM
Dong Hyun Kim,Raphael Assuncao and T.J. Dillashaw each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday's UFC Fight Night 29 event. But Rousimar Palhares watched $50,000 walk away "due to unsportsmanlike conduct."

Link
prophecy033
10/9/13 11:48:04PM
Good move by Dana. It was a punk move by Palhares and I'm glad he got snubbed
SpiderSilva
10/9/13 11:50:22PM
Did they tell him he won and then said nevermind?
Bubbles
10/9/13 11:55:45PM
I havent seen the fight yet but from what I read I can't say I disagree but at the same time he wasn't going to pocket the bonus money. Maybe in this instance Zuffa should write the cheque themselves to Doctors Without Borders so they don't get shafted
JoeWarren33
10/10/13 1:13:15AM
As much as I enjoyed the sub, it was def. personal and held on longer then it needed to be. Good move by the Ufc here.
jae_1833
10/10/13 1:23:39AM
It's been more than once now...I would take it a step farther and cut him. Too many issues inside the cage at this point.
quezocrema0032
10/10/13 1:40:33AM
Disappointing that they didn't acknowled it during the broadcast, luckily on twitter people were making a fuss & I think it influenced Danas decision. I'd agree with Jae on the cutting him BUT he's alittle more valuable now that he is a welterweight & just finished a guy in less then a min that some of the best in the world couldn't stop. He assured himself a longer leash, but I don't think he can afford another incident. Dana said apparently another additional punishment is coming so we will see what that is.

Its funny he doesn't realize how much he's messing his career up, he could have been brought along slowly & given every chance but because of his bad image I suspect the ufc will throw him to the wolves to make him expandable.
rush13
10/10/13 2:01:00AM
Looks good on the guy. He's done this too many times...other than being a nut-case roid-monkey who possibly has a worse fighter IQ than Pat Barry, I like the guy
tallica62
10/10/13 2:34:45AM
I missed the fight, and not to fighter bash, but that's an *$$hole move - and he's done it before. They need to give him someone who will knock him the ___ out. Our someone to leg lock him and hold on

On that note, please don't tell him I said that because he's scary and mean
tallica62
10/10/13 2:36:39AM
I just watched the fight...they should cut him and make a statement..it's not the first time
prozacnation1978
10/10/13 2:37:10AM
More impressed with how quick pierce tapped.
Palhares needed the win badly
FastKnockout
10/10/13 3:04:34AM
I could understand giving him a little wiggle room if this was his first time, but it wasn't. He's done it on a few occasions and something needs to be done before he seriously injures someone. Why should a fighter suffer a potential serious injury just because one fighter is looney in the head?
aussiemma
10/10/13 6:35:51AM
Just watched it, and it does look pretty bad. I really don't think palhares means to do it, I think he is just so psyched to get the finish that he kind of loses control.

Does not mean he will not get punished as this was not a first offence.
jjeans
10/10/13 6:43:17AM

Posted by quezocrema0032

Disappointing that they didn't acknowled it during the broadcast, luckily on twitter people were making a fuss & I think it influenced Danas decision. I'd agree with Jae on the cutting him BUT he's alittle more valuable now that he is a welterweight & just finished a guy in less then a min that some of the best in the world couldn't stop. He assured himself a longer leash, but I don't think he can afford another incident. Dana said apparently another additional punishment is coming so we will see what that is.

This. Joe Rogan woulda been fuming. He'd have seen it, and called him out on it in the cage.
aussiemma
10/10/13 7:01:28AM
I'm watching the fights right now and on a side not, thiago silva looked like crap, flabby as fuck too ! Maybe he had an injury or something ? But he looked unfit for a top level mma guy
BigBadAl
10/10/13 7:45:37AM

Posted by aussiemma

I'm watching the fights right now and on a side not, thiago silva looked like crap, flabby as fuck too ! Maybe he had an injury or something ? But he looked unfit for a top level mma guy

He looked unfit for him but not necessarily a top level MMA guy. There are bigger fatties than him about the UFC.
40ouncetofreedom
10/10/13 8:14:04AM

Posted by aussiemma

Missed weight...Prior failed doping tests...

Do the Math.
Bubbles
10/10/13 10:24:27AM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by quezocrema0032

This. Joe Rogan woulda been fuming. He'd have seen it, and called him out on it in the cage.

and that is where Florian is supposed to chime in with his extensive grappling background. Another reason why I want this guy fired last year
BillsNewAccount
10/10/13 10:55:13AM
I don't think you can talk about this incident without the mention of Bustamante v Linland. Paul Harris got his belt from Bustamante. Bustamante fought Matt Lindland back in the day. Lindland tapped Bustamante let go. Then Lindland claimed that he never tapped and big John restarted the fight. So the word is Bustamante told Paul Harris he should always hold his subs until the ref pulls him off just so there would be no controversy. Which is ironic because it has created nothing but controversy.

I don't mean to defend his actions but I think people are being a little hard on the dude.
bjj1605
10/10/13 10:59:36AM

Posted by jae_1833

It's been more than once now...I would take it a step farther and cut him. Too many issues inside the cage at this point.

I think that's excessive.

A fine and a suspension, on top of this snub, ought to do the trick.

If it happens again, ya cut him.
Poor_Franklin
10/10/13 11:00:47AM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

I don't think you can talk about this incident without the mention of Bustamante v Linland. Paul Harris got his belt from Bustamante. Bustamante fought Matt Lindland back in the day. Lindland tapped Bustamante let go. Then Lindland claimed that he never tapped and big John restarted the fight. So the word is Bustamante told Paul Harris he should always hold his subs until the ref pulls him off just so there would be no controversy. Which is ironic because it has created nothing but controversy.

I don't mean to defend his actions but I think people are being a little hard on the dude.

I think knees are something everyone cherishes & people get that cringy feeling when they think of their own being hurt. If he didnt go so violently with the subs, I dont think itd be as much of an issue. Not saying he shouldn't go hard with a sub. Just saying the torque he puts on a leg with his obvious lack of awareness of a tap or a ref getting on him makes it such a big deal with people, including myself. But I totally see your point
TeamJones
10/10/13 11:01:47AM
I also would blaime the ref. He never grabbed Paul Harris' s arms/hands, instead he was more towards Pierce's hands. Yes he ran and slide past the ankle that was being locked up.
KungFuMaster
10/10/13 11:03:53AM
Props to DHK. He literally went for broke and it paid off. He was well on his way to losing that match IMO and had he missed, I think he would have simply fallen over from a jab.

Props to the ufc for recognizing assholes like PaulHarris.

Props to Dillishaw for winning his fight but got screwed by the judges. The bonus can be just as good as a win.

Props to Jake Shields. He is officially under-rated now.

Not such a bad event after all.
Bubbles
10/10/13 11:07:24AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Props to Dillishaw for winning his fight but got screwed by the judges. The bonus can be just as good as a win.

not even close. It might be a nice consolation but I'm pretty sure being 1 win away from a title fight means a little more than a $50,000 cheque and having to win another 3-4 straight to be where he just was
KungFuMaster
10/10/13 11:10:22AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by KungFuMaster

not even close. It might be a nice consolation but I'm pretty sure being 1 win away from a title fight means a little more than a $50,000 cheque and having to win another 3-4 straight to be where he just was

I'm sure the ufc will take the robbery into consideration. Why do you think he got the bonus?
I-GOT-THIS-PICK
10/10/13 11:24:05AM

I'm sure the ufc will take the robbery into consideration. Why do you think he got the bonus?
Because it was fight of the night not because Dillashaw got robbed of a decision
george112
10/10/13 11:37:31AM
Cut palhares. This isn't the first time he's pulled that shit and it certainly won't be the last

Potentially could have ended Pierce's livelihood. Wtf is up with that.

too all those saying it isn't a big deal, let someone put you in a kneebar have them crank it as hard as they can then not let go.
KungFuMaster
10/10/13 11:45:11AM

Posted by I-GOT-THIS-PICK

Because it was fight of the night not because Dillashaw got robbed of a decision

Good answer. That's what I was going for...
kopower
10/10/13 12:44:02PM
Glad to see Palhares get docked for his actions
tallica62
10/10/13 12:44:32PM

Posted by TeamJones

I also would blaime the ref. He never grabbed Paul Harris' s arms/hands, instead he was more towards Pierce's hands. Yes he ran and slide past the ankle that was being locked up.

you mean Palhares? :P
Pages: [1] 2