UFC Fight Night 17 - Fighter Bonuses

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Fight Night 17 - Fighter Bonuses
MMAcca
2/8/09 2:39:00AM
UFC FIGHT NIGHT 17 AWARDS AND BONUSES
(Each fighter received a $30,000 bonus.)

UFC Fight Night 17 Fight of the Night:
-Josh Neer vs. Mac Danzig

UFC Fight Night 17 Knockout of the Night:
-Cain Velasquez

UFC Fight Night 17 Submission of the Night:
-Joe Lauzon

LINK
ncordless
2/8/09 2:42:20AM
KO of the night to Cain for that GnP that never even had Dennis going out of it at all?
bojangalz
2/8/09 2:47:52AM
It's a shame that the Grice/Veach fight got overlooked in all of this. It didn't last long but it was a hell of a show!

Can't complain about Neer/Danzig getting FOTN, but Grice?Veash was equally as entertaining if you ask me.

Cain's stoppage wasn't flashy. The ref could have certainly let it go longer. But let's face it, if he didn't get it with that GnP, he would have won it the next time he brought it to the floor. (It was great to see him step in there and get a little on-the-job training in the striking deparment though!)
Khaos
2/8/09 3:01:39AM
I agree with FOTN, I would have like SOTN to be Dan Miller's Guillotine(though I'm not suprised it's J-lau's armbar). I can't believe Cain's GNP is KOTN, I would have ruled out it, and the Grice-Veach fight('cause Grice wasn't, F**king bad stoppage)so Rumble should have gotten it, it was the most conclusive TKO finish of the night. I mean seriously, Cain didn't know his fight was over for about 20 seconds and Dennis looked absolutely fine. POOR KOTN CHOICE BY THE UFC.
lohmann
2/8/09 6:31:08AM

Posted by Khaos

I agree with FOTN, I would have like SOTN to be Dan Miller's Guillotine(though I'm not suprised it's J-lau's armbar). I can't believe Cain's GNP is KOTN, I would have ruled out it, and the Grice-Veach fight('cause Grice wasn't, F**king bad stoppage)so Rumble should have gotten it, it was the most conclusive TKO finish of the night. I mean seriously, Cain didn't know his fight was over for about 20 seconds and Dennis looked absolutely fine. POOR KOTN CHOICE BY THE UFC.

Stojnic had a look on his face of total resignation after the fight - a "Yeah, whatever, I know," look accepting the stoppage. On a night of bad refereeing, I have to agree with that particular call. Turtling up and just waiting the round out because you have the resilency to eat punishment is not intelligent defense.

That being said, I agree with your call on the KotN going to the conclusive Johnson/Fioravanti fight, although Troy Waugh over Good Refereeing was a close second.
tmas
2/8/09 10:45:02AM
Cain didnt deserve it, but he is a up and commer that they wanted to give extra $$$$ to.
sparky
2/8/09 1:10:26PM
Josh Neer was impressive I knew he would pull off the win but I didnt think it would be by submission!
Jackelope
2/8/09 1:41:09PM
I agree that Rumble got overlooked BIG time for the KOTN, and though I love Cain Velasquez I can't possibly agree with him getting KOTN.

The one thing I can say that is good about it is that Cain had a long layoff due to an injury, and maybe the UFC wanted to prop him up so he could afford to continue training and improving at the highest level
Wolfenstein
2/8/09 1:48:27PM
I don't think anyone was deserving of the KOTN bonus. Cain I think actually had the weakest TKO, just because he couldn't really get an opening while his opponent was turtled up. I don't know, it's just really difficult to justify anyone receiving a bonus when no one really put anyone away with authority. I'd give it to Johnson just because his after-fight celebration put him over the top...

casey64
2/8/09 2:18:52PM
Crappy KOTN call by the UFC indeed.