UFC FIGHT NIGHT 13 - APRIL 2nd - Fight Card Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC FIGHT NIGHT 13 - APRIL 2nd - Fight Card Discussion
Next Page »
POLL: WHO WINS AND HOW?
FLORIAN KO/TKO 16% (15)
LAUZON KO/TKO 17% (16)
FLORIAN SUBMISSION 24% (23)
LAUZON SUBMISSION 14% (13)
FLORIAN DECISION 22% (21)
LAUZON DECISION 7% (7)
CornishMMA
1/24/08 7:18:58AM
UFC FIGHT NIGHT PROMO VIDEO

This event WILL BE 3 hours long and starts on SPIKE at 7pm, it is followed by TUF7 Premiere. Its on in the UK 3 days later Saturday night, sadly at Midnight-3am

MAIN EVENT

(7-3) Florian -VS- Lauzon (16-3)

MAIN CARD

(18-4) Parisyan -VS- Alves (13-3)

Boetsch (6-1) -VS- Hamill (3-1)

(8-0) Edgar -VS- Maynard (4-0)

(8-2) Houston -VS- Irvin (13-4)

(8-2) Diaz -VS- Pellegrino (11-3)

PRELIMINARY FIGHTS

(7-2) Gamburyan -VS- Cox (9-4)

(10-1) Miller -VS- Aurelio (15-5)

(20-7) Thomas -VS- Neer (23-6)

(22-9) Guida -VS- Schiavo (10-4)

Mitichyan (3-1) -VS- Sotiropoulos (8-2)

(9-2) Speer -VS- Johnson (4-1)
CornishMMA
1/24/08 10:01:50AM
Errm is that card already a bit TOO full?

There are only 4 main card fights so what are they gonna leave Fisher out of it? He was almost the main event 2 fn's ago!!! And usually a TUF runner up is a decent draw they like to put on a main card

Theres no doubt these FN cards have been getting better and better of late, cant wait for this one, main event has serious FOTY potential
daremito
1/24/08 4:22:31PM
great card, cant wait to see kenflo beat the crap out of j-lau lol
wolfman
1/24/08 4:23:19PM
Wow, this card is badass! I'm going to have a hard time picking winners for this event, many of these fights are too close to call. They all should be hot bouts! lol
Pookie
1/24/08 4:39:39PM
best fight night card ive ever seen honestly.

i wont believe this is true until it gets sticky'd!
jiujitsufreak74
1/24/08 5:17:54PM
here are a few breakdowns for two of the fights:

Joe Lauzon vs Kenny Florian
i love J-Lau and i like to watch how he continues to improve himself fight after fight. he is so cerebral and he grew on me during his stint on TUF with the way he carried himself through the training. Florian, imo, isn't the top contender that everyone makes him out to be, but he is still an exciting fighter. both guys have similar builds and i think they have similar strength so i don't think any one is going to be overpowered here. i want to see how Joe game plans against Kenny, because Kenny is an intelligent fighter as well and is very well rounded. i think the fight between Kenny and Joe will be explosive on the feet with Kenny trying out his muy thai while J-Lau uses his boxing to try and nullify it. on the ground this will also be explosive with beautiful JJ being shown on both parts, but i see Kenny being a little bit better at each aspect (ground and standing) plus he is more experienced in terms of main events and thus i see him winning a very entertaining fight. my prediction is Kenny Florian by UD

Bonnar vs Hammil
this fight really intreagues me as i want to see how Hammil does against Bonnar. i think this will be a slug-fest as both fighters like to brawl with their opponents and both have raw power. i see Hammil having the strength advantage here throwing more powerful punches, but Bonnar has really evolved his game since the finale and i see him throwing more technical, cleaner punches that find their mark. I see matt going for a take down after realizing Bonnar is better on his feet than Bisping is and after trying to trade a while with Bonnar, i say maybe after a solid round, his corner will instruct him to go for the take down. from there i see Hammil taking Bonnar down quite easily, however Bonnar does have formidable JJ and i see him getting Matt in an unfamilar spot and applying a submission by the third round. this fight will be interesting as Hammil surprises me every time he enters the octagon and i want to see how Bonnar handles the raw power and wrestling ability of Hammil. my prediction is Bonnar by 3rd round sub

i will do some research on karo vs alves later on in the week, but i am a little busy right now so i don't feel like breaking that one down just yet.
GraMMA
1/24/08 5:59:00PM
Goldberg said on the UFN last night that Frankie Edgar will be on this card too.It would be nice if they could make this one three hours and show a couple more fights.
Violence108
1/24/08 7:20:21PM
this fight night is more stacked than most PPv cards!
wolfman
1/24/08 11:44:26PM

Posted by GraMMA

Goldberg said on the UFN last night that Frankie Edgar will be on this card too.It would be nice if they could make this one three hours and show a couple more fights.

Damn, I must have missed that. I hope it is true. I would like to see him fight Huerta, that would be a hell of a fight. I think Edgar would win a decision.
Boo_Radley21
1/24/08 11:48:47PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by GraMMA

Damn, I must have missed that. I hope it is true. I would like to see him fight Huerta, that would be a hell of a fight. I think Edgar would win a decision.

I still really want to see Fisher fight Huerta. That would be sik
CornishMMA
1/25/08 8:34:02AM
/\ Neither will happen cos IF Huerta was willing to fight on this card it would have been against Kenny, he wants a long break from fighting apparently

Now they rumor Din Thomas VS Josh Neer to add to this which if true will become another top quality fight that we will never see on the broadcast

They seriously need to make these shows 3 hours now!
wolfman
1/25/08 11:44:20AM

Posted by CornishMMA

/\ Neither will happen cos IF Huerta was willing to fight on this card it would have been against Kenny, he wants a long break from fighting apparently

Now they rumor Din Thomas VS Josh Neer to add to this which if true will become another top quality fight that we will never see on the broadcast

They seriously need to make these shows 3 hours now!

Yeah, I remembered he was taking a break from fighting. Do you remember how long he said? I want to say he was at least taking 6 months off; however, I think he might have said a year!

I agree, they do need to make these fight night shows 3 hours! That would be sweet, especially since this card looks to be stacked right now. Hopefully, the Thomas/Neer fight does happen.
npayant
1/26/08 12:23:20AM
AMAZING Fight Night card and I have tickets!!! I'll be watching all fights no matter what...
Gannon
1/26/08 1:26:56AM
I'll be there too. Representing KY Jelly!
CornishMMA
1/28/08 9:58:36AM
Well you both smell of wee so

I just think the UFC are ballsing up by having so many top fights that will never be televised, especially when theres still the chance of a weak UFC 83 a few weeks before this (bet some will crossover if that event does happen!)

There are 8 fights there and half will be prelims, we will see 1 prelim at best so what are we going to miss? I think the bottom 4, dunno which prelim is the most likeliest short fight that may get screened tho?!?

Who agrees with this one .................. GUIDA should fight EDGAR!
jrmmaclassics
1/28/08 7:08:27PM
I think they are trying to weed out the UFC, there are to many fighter and more and more coming up through TUF every season. Dana wants to see what these fighters can bring if they still have good drawing power and also telling them you guys put on a great fight and we will show the fight on television. I also agree that they are being ballzy with doing his both this card and 82 have good fighters fighting the under card, scratching my head over it.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
DevonFoxy
1/28/08 11:43:44PM
I just hope Lauzon can get on top of Ken Flo talk about some vicious elbows no one wants to be on the other end of Joe's hopefully Kenny thinks he has much better stand up then Joe as Lauzon has very good stand up and even after the Pulver fight its underrated.
War Lauzon!
CornishMMA
1/29/08 5:53:01AM

Posted by jrmmaclassics

I think they are trying to weed out the UFC, there are to many fighter and more and more coming up through TUF every season. Dana wants to see what these fighters can bring if they still have good drawing power and also telling them you guys put on a great fight and we will show the fight on television. I also agree that they are being ballzy with doing his both this card and 82 have good fighters fighting the under card, scratching my head over it.

I kinda know what you mean BUT they are wanting to put on more shows more often so they do need more good fighters for those main cards, obviously they need to get good timing going so they arent all wanting fights at the same time but im just warn that the May UFC may be left wanting for some quality main card fights and we may look back and think hey that FN prelim should of been on this main card yaknow

Devonfoxy, i dunno about Lauzon yet, hope he can touch Kenny cos i dunno about his chin but Joe will eat some nasty leg kicks and im pretty sure Kennys BJJ is better, im pretty confident in KenFlo in this one but its Joes chance to prove he is the real deal - i think he is/will be, he is just a bit too young right now
CornishMMA
1/30/08 7:14:25AM
So for the 3rd time in a row we have to say "THIS IS THE BEST UFC FIGHT NIGHT CARD EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVA!!!!!!!!!!"

Ive added the Houston Irvin fight and its almost guaranteed that it will be the final main card fight, hope we do get that 1st rd KO!
DustinT
1/30/08 5:00:22PM
that really goes unsaid huh?
you can't beat this line up for free.....i'm kinda suprised.
i'm going to do my best not to get my hopes up though. Nothin' is worst than awaiting a great lineup only to have it fizzle out on the event night. It's happened more time than I'd like to count. Even then, it's still free....so you can't argue with it.

it just sucks that there will be a several fights that won't get aired, but whatever.
free is free.
roger
1/30/08 8:56:10PM
looks to be a good fight
roger
1/30/08 8:57:52PM
hamill vs bonnar
nice ground game vs a striker
roger
1/30/08 8:58:45PM
hamill win by TKO in the 2nd round
CornishMMA
1/31/08 7:28:22AM
LOL thanks for that triple post of pretty much nothing

Take this UFC 81 prelim lineup and compare with this FN one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its crazily unbalanced, but its just the way the timing has worked out i spose
cowcatcher
1/31/08 11:20:47AM
i still cant get over how stacked this card is, its as good/better than most ppvs from top to bottom. it doesnt have the huge main event, but there are definately fights with title implications on there(florian with a win should get a shot at the bj/sherk winner, a karo win should get him a title shot). i really hope spike has nothing else to air that night(and the ufc would pony up the dough) so they can decide to make it a 4 hour event so i dont have to miss any of it.
CornishMMA
2/1/08 9:27:05AM

Posted by cowcatcher

a karo win should get him a title shot

can i please disagree as strong as possible?
Fitch by this point should of gone 8-0 in the UFC - how does that not deserve a title shot! In that time Karo has struggled to beat opponents like Burkman via decisions and has lost to Diego

Fitch > Diego > Karo - this is fighter math but its very apt imo

Oh and id already posted this fact but il say it again - THIS EVENT IS THE LEAD IN EVENT FOR TUF7 SO NO IT WONT BE MADE A 4 HOUR EVENT shame i know
DeathbyHighKick
2/1/08 3:18:29PM
I just can't believe how seriously great this card is, and with the recent addition of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard, this card rivals most PPV cards.
jrmmaclassics
2/1/08 4:13:44PM
What the fuct, just as the UFC comes back to Colorado I have to move out of the state. Been waiting for the second coming of the UFC in Denver. Will be watching this one, looks stacked could be the sleeper card of the year.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
WeeAl
2/2/08 7:26:56AM
The card is very strong, one of the most interesting shows on paper from top to bottom, in quite some time. Hopefully it turns out as good as it looks like it could. Hopefully Houston has improved from his loss to Silva and can get back on track. I think Joe could Taken Kenny in their fight, possibly third round TKO.
roger
2/2/08 4:16:26PM
FLORIAN by DECISION
Pages: [1] 2 3