Which Fight Matters More: Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir at UFC 100 or Fedor Emelianenko vs Josh Barnett at Affliction Trilogy?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Which Fight Matters More: Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir at UFC 100 or Fedor Emelianenko vs Josh Barnett at Affliction Trilogy?
MMAcca
6/16/09 1:09:00AM
Dave Meltzer leans to the latter:

The summer season will peak with UFC 100 on July 11 in Las Vegas will answer the question as to what exactly is the ceiling for mixed martial arts on pay-per-view. The main event between Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir itself has all the elements necessary to being the biggest drawing heavyweight match in North America. The UFC heavyweight and interim heavyweight titles will be unified in a rematch of one of the most memorable fights and talked about fights in company history.

But for all the hype Lesnar vs. Mir will receive, one could make a strong case that from a pure sports ranking standpoint, the biggest heavyweight fight ever on U.S. soil will take place three weeks later at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., on Affliction’s third pay-per-view show.

Consensus No. 1 ranked Fedor Emelianenko puts up his reputation as the most successful fighter in the history of the sport, against Josh Barnett.

LINK
cmill21
6/16/09 1:27:22AM
For me it's Fedor vs Barney. Thats the battle of the #1 and #2 hw's in to world.
kaskd
6/16/09 2:23:59AM
I think Lesnar and Mir matters more. Everyone expects, almost to the point of psychic knowledge agrees that Fedor is going to win. However can Lesnar live up to the hype? He's proving himself as a legitimate fighter more and more. Even though he is technically the heavy-weight champion a lot of people agree Mir is the true champion. All the pressure here is on Lesnar to perform and show that his submission loss last time is behind him. Is Lesnar really a legit fighter, or is he a gigantic wrestler with heavy hands. Sure the 2 best aren't fighting for the UFC belt, but it's a lot more interesting.
seanfu
6/16/09 2:39:49AM
We'll know after the fights.

Mir Lesnar is more important to me. But if Fedor loses that fight by any means the Fedor fight will mean more.
scobac
6/16/09 3:48:55AM

Posted by kaskd

I think Lesnar and Mir matters more. Everyone expects, almost to the point of psychic knowledge agrees that Fedor is going to win. However can Lesnar live up to the hype? He's proving himself as a legitimate fighter more and more. Even though he is technically the heavy-weight champion a lot of people agree Mir is the true champion. All the pressure here is on Lesnar to perform and show that his submission loss last time is behind him. Is Lesnar really a legit fighter, or is he a gigantic wrestler with heavy hands. Sure the 2 best aren't fighting for the UFC belt, but it's a lot more interesting.

I agree with this post. I would also like to see if frank mir can live up to his hype. It's always been said that he has unlimited potential in the HW division but with some bad luck and lack of training in the past he hasnt lived up to the hype. With a previous win over lesnar and nog and another win over lesnar he might live up to the HW phenom (prodigy) title that was stuck on him early in his career. I also think it's the more important fight because of the match ups that will be lined up afterwards for either winner, the UFC HW division has quickly became crowded with talent over the past six months. The best match up for the fedor barrnett winner would probably be an imediate rematch. It's a big fight in terms of overall rankings but with little competition outside of the UFC it really dosnt meen a whole lot to me, unless they shift their careers to the UFC after the fight.
RearNakedJoke
6/16/09 4:17:39AM

in 1 hand you have 2 guys who have something to prove and dont really like each other.

in the other you have 2 friends who dont have any motivation to fight each other(short of money).

im looking forward to Mir Lesnar 2.

Fedor Barny just isnt catching my interest.

tomp6581
6/16/09 4:39:13AM
Both matter, but Fedor v Barnet matters more. Why?

It isn't a re-match.

One fighter has been the number 1 HW for years.

The other has been top 5 for years.

Also, if Fedor wins we may see more pressure on Dana to try and sign him. And if Barnett wins, Dana has said he would be interested in him.

SpiderSilva
6/16/09 7:39:56AM
Yeah if Barnett wins I'm pretty sure the ufc will try to sign him quick and ah hell barnett is gonna win and become the new #1 hw in like 5 years
KingCreep
6/16/09 7:55:53AM

Posted by tomp6581

It isn't a re-match.

couture vs nog isn't a rematch either... randy vs nog takes the cake, anything outside of the ufc doesn't really grab my interest at all, sure they're interesting and some fights have big, washed up names but it's not a huge deal to me.

EDIT: sorry tomp6581, was upset enough that i also considered the nog vs couture fight more important than barny vs fedor. we all know who is going to win that fight and barny will just be another big wrestler who will always do better in japan. but yes, lesnar vs mir is the main attraction at HW and i will be watching it live in vegas from section 101 :)
prozacnation1978
6/16/09 9:03:15AM
if i could only watch one it probably would be fedor vs barnett
Manfred
6/16/09 10:25:05AM

Posted by KingCreep

Posted by tomp6581

It isn't a re-match.

couture vs nog isn't a rematch either... plus barnett sucks and only beat randy with the help of roids, what has he done since?:

Easy there. What has he done since?

He's had 18 fights with losses to only Cro Cop and Nog.

Along they way, he also beat Nog, Natsula, Semmy Shilt, Rizzo, Monson, Yvel, Hunt, Aleks, to name a few.

That's a better resume than the majority of HWs
babytater03
6/16/09 10:38:56AM
Nice article.

To me this is a Foresight/Hindsight debate. Foresight would argue that #1 vs #2 is the far more important fight. However, what Mir vs. Lesnar could mean ,versus the majority of opinion of Fedor vs Josh, is where Hindsight will show that it was the more important fight. Of course, we'll all be here waiting for the dust to settle and then will come the huggers, excuses, and explainer to say why their guy did or didn't win. So really, this argument is moot, as it wont matter as much as the way the end is reached.

just my $0.02 though.

War Fedor

War Brock
TNPanther78
6/16/09 12:34:20PM
Both IMO!
mrsmiley
6/16/09 2:31:05PM

Posted by tomp6581

Both matter, but Fedor v Barnet matters more. Why?

It isn't a re-match.

One fighter has been the number 1 HW for years.

The other has been top 5 for years.

Also, if Fedor wins we may see more pressure on Dana to try and sign him. And if Barnett wins, Dana has said he would be interested in him.

Yeah I agree with you on this.

I really don't see how anyone could think different
ncordless
6/16/09 2:44:34PM
Um... pretty easy really. The #1 HW vs. a top 5 HW or a top 5 HW vs. a top 5 HW?

MMAcca
6/16/09 3:04:56PM
Mir/Lesnar is more important to me.

Fedor/Barnett just hasn't casught my imagination........yet.
tdietel01
6/16/09 7:23:37PM
Just the fact that mir vs lesnar is a fight where both fighters do not like each other is enough for me. I think mir got lucky the first time and hope brock proves im right. fedor vs barney hold almost no interest from me. i do like watching fedor fight though
mrsmiley
6/16/09 7:27:35PM

Posted by ncordless

Um... pretty easy really. The #1 HW vs. a top 5 HW or a top 5 HW vs. a top 5 HW?