Who should fight Jake Shields for the Strikeforce MW championship?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Who should fight Jake Shields for the Strikeforce MW championship?
POLL: Who should face Shields for the interim belt?
Nick Diaz 20% (10)
Robbie Lawler 4% (2)
Smokin' Joe 12% (6)
Matt Lindland 12% (6)
Tim Kennedy 0% (0)
Jacare 52% (26)
AchillesHeel
8/7/09 12:36:37PM
Former EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields (23-4-1) is slated to bring his "American jiu-jitsu" into an interim Strikeforce Middleweight title fight. Cung Le (6-0) is the reigning champion, but other professional commitments have him unavailable for a while. Strikeforce say that the winner of this fight with Shields will face Le for the official championship. Gegard Mousasi (25-2-1) would have been my choice to face Shields, but he's due to battle Renato "Babalu" Sobral for Strikeforce's Light-Heavyweight belt on August 15th. No opponent for Shields has been announced, but there are a handful of possibilities:

Nick Diaz (20-7) moved up to 185 and beat up Frank Shamrock and Scott Smith. However, he's one of Shields' Cesar-Gracie colleagues, and training partners are often reluctant to fight each other.

Robbie Lawler (16-5) just faced Shields, and lost by submission. An immediate rematch might play out differently, might not.

"Smokin'" Joe VillaseƱor (27-6) recently won a Split Decision over Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos, after more than a year off.

Matt Lindland (21-6), a free agent after the collapse of Affliction, was once regarded as a Top-5 Middleweight, and says he is in "serious" negotiations with Strikeforce. His last fight was a loss, a quick KO by Vitor Belfort, but he's a quality grappler who toed the line against Fedor Emelianenko a couple of years ago.

Tim Kennedy (10-2) recently defeated Nick Thompson at a Strikeforce event.

Ronaldo "Jacare" de Souza (10-2) just signed a contract with Strikeforce. His first fight is expected to be in the Fall, and no opponent has been announced.

Irish_Pride
8/7/09 1:06:06PM
I would love to see Jake Shields fight Nick Diaz. Nick definetely deserves the shot at the title. But, I'm sure it won't happen since these guys are teammates. That would be one hell of a matchup if they were willing to fight eachother. If not Diaz, then maybe Jacare or Smokin Joe would be a interesting fight.
cowcatcher
8/7/09 1:10:23PM

Posted by Irish_Pride

I would love to see Jake Shields fight Nick Diaz. Nick definetely deserves the shot at the title. But, I'm sure it won't happen since these guys are teammates. That would be one hell of a matchup if they were willing to fight eachother. If not Diaz, then maybe Jacare or Smokin Joe would be a interesting fight.

because theyre teammates i went with jacare.
Rush
8/7/09 1:38:53PM
Anyone that will expose Jake as the overrated fighter (I think) he is. I went with Jacare
postman
8/7/09 1:49:51PM
Why do I think Jake fights at 170?
cowcatcher
8/7/09 1:52:49PM
he does, he just fought lawler and won so now hes on to take on the MWs because strikeforce has a fairly weak WW division, the UFC hordes those guys.
tepid55
8/7/09 2:45:45PM
I think Sheilds vs Jacare would be a great grappling match.
Twenty20Dollars
8/7/09 3:20:22PM
Its either Jacare or Joey V.

Either way its J v J
breakdown5
8/7/09 4:41:47PM
I went with Jacare because I want to see Shields get smoked at his own game, and I think Jacare is the one to do it.
copcopps
8/7/09 8:44:32PM
Matt Lindland, if not him then Jacare
Nightmare27
8/8/09 1:02:09AM
Gotta go with Jacare. I think that he will beat him too.
slapshot
8/8/09 9:35:16PM
I think its kind of waisting a vote but if the question is who SHOULD fight him its hard to argue against Nick Diaz, too bad it wont happen.
Aaronno9
8/9/09 12:50:16AM

Posted by Rush

Anyone that will expose Jake as the overrated fighter (I think) he is. I went with Jacare

RhythmAndStyle
8/11/09 1:39:15PM
Jacare..just to see Jacare teach Shields what real B.J.J. is bout..i never thought too much of Shield..always thought he was kinda cocky...
KNIGHT
8/11/09 2:14:49PM

Posted by copcopps

Matt Lindland, if not him then Jacare

i agree
Kpro
8/11/09 2:24:57PM
I'll take Shields vs. Jacare.

I'd like the fight even more if they walked around at the same weight, but Jacare being naturally a 15-20 pound heavier guy could be the difference maker.
ravanunen
8/14/09 12:36:32PM
i'd want to see him fight vilasenor, because he's like the only one of those guys actually coming off a win in SF (Diaz doesnt count, because it wouldn't happen)

then have linland fight someone like lawler or terry martin, and sign thales to fight jacare